Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain water harvesting with ibc, will this design work

Options
  • 19-09-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just starting a new home and plan to put rain harvesting in the basement using 6 x IBC ea 1000 litres giving me ~6000 litres container for ~€400, €300 for IBCs and €100 for piping connections.

Will the attached design work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Certified

The_Magpie wrote: »
    Just starting a new home and plan to put rain harvesting in the basement using 6 x IBC ea 1000 litres giving me ~6000 litres container for ~€400, €300 for IBCs and €100 for piping connections.

The position of your inlet flow from the gutter filter is too low. Why have you a ball valve on one of the bottom tanks?
    That will weigh in at 6 tonnes, make sure your floor is designed for it!
    I'd recommend a tray and gully below the tanks just in case one of your connections leak :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

The_Magpie wrote: »

While excavating my basement I encountered a natural spring on site. I installed a seconds concrete tank/holding chamber. I diverted the water into this and plan on using it for water harvesting. All in the tank (approx 1500 gallons) + pipe work cost about €1,000. The tank is buried 4m from the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Magpie have you begun work on the basement or is it already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The_Magpie

Certified wrote: »
    The position of your inlet flow from the gutter filter is too low. :eek:

There is an over flow in the filter
    Why have you a ball valve on one of the bottom tanks? :eek:
    To stop the bottom 3 from over flowing
    That will weigh in at 6 tonnes, make sure your floor is designed for it! :eek:
    It is sitting on a concrete raft that is is compacted
    I'd recommend a tray and gully below the tanks just in case one of your connections leak :eek:

Thanks, good idea

No, why ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

My question - how will you stop the water going stagnant ?

fclauson wrote: »
    My question - how will you stop the water going stagnant ?

Usage, the water will be used for bathrooms, washing machine and dish washer and I would hope this will keep the usage up.
    The top 3 will flow through 1 after another. This may be an issue for the bottom left and hence I asked if this design will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭azul

How did you get on with this? Did you manage to get it installed successfully? I'm curious to know what you used to pump the water up to the attic water tank presuming this is what you did. Cheers.

Advertisement