Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone insurance

Options
  • 19-09-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, can anyone understand small print re insurance.
    Have an iphone 4, about 18 months old and recently broke screen.
    Rang Vodafone as I have insurance with price plan. They said I had to contact insurance company and deal with them.
    I did that and processed claim.
    Had a call from Vodafone few days later to inform me they were going to send new phone, but I would be charged 35 euro excess on next bill. Told them to hold off as I don't think I should be paying excess. All I asked them to do was replace screen. . . . and i could've gotten that done on groupon deal for cheaper without any insurance. Vodafone were having none of it and wasn't interested in even trying to see or understand the point I was trying to make.
    Dunno what to do now. . .BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE VODAFONE. :(((

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Wagonswoll wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone understand small print re insurance.
    Have an iphone 4, about 18 months old and recently broke screen.
    Rang Vodafone as I have insurance with price plan. They said I had to contact insurance company and deal with them.
    I did that and processed claim.
    Had a call from Vodafone few days later to inform me they were going to send new phone, but I would be charged 35 euro excess on next bill. Told them to hold off as I don't think I should be paying excess. All I asked them to do was replace screen. . . . and i could've gotten that done on groupon deal for cheaper without any insurance. Vodafone were having none of it and wasn't interested in even trying to see or understand the point I was trying to make.
    Dunno what to do now. . .BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE VODAFONE. :(((

I don't understand the point that you are making here. Vodafone are offering you a brand new phone in return for an 18-month old one

Almost all insurance policies have an excess on them. You would probably have to pay the same excess to get the screen replaced using the insurance as you would for a new phone ie. €35

The Groupon deal that you are referring to costs €49 to get the screen repaired

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Almost every insurance policy has an excess amount value.

Cost of replacement screen would be well more than that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I broke the screen on my 5 in December 2 days after I got it.
    Had quotes of over €200 to fix it.
    Remembered I had insurance in late jan, rang insurance and had brand new phone in my hand two days later.
    Well worth €35.
    Some people are unreal when it comes to parting with money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

You might want to remember what the OP has paid Vodaphone in premiums probably would have been around 50% of what it would cost to insure a house contents. That said it's been a day of people not reading what they've agreed to for me so I don't have that much sympathy.

Take out proper gadget insurance and shop around for it. There will still be an excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions as this is ultimately an insurance issue, and nothing really do with Vodafone.

OP - what does your insurance policy say about excess charges?

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I'd pay it, a genuine screen replacement would cost a lot more than 35 quid. Some of the cheap replacements available online are nasty...Plus remember the iPhone 4 isn't being sold anymore so you might even get a free upgrade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Sorry to drag up an old thread - but OP I was wondering if you got a new phone or a refurbished phone?
    I broke the screen on my phone and went to the vodafone shop after work. Guy says to ring the insurance compant (no problem) and they sort me out with a phone. He said it it wouldn't be a new phone, but a refurbished phone that is "grand".
    The small print just says replacement handset.
    It's better than a forking out for a new phone but just wondering if anyone else has experience with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Sorry to drag up an old thread - but OP I was wondering if you got a new phone or a refurbished phone?
    I broke the screen on my phone and went to the vodafone shop after work. Guy says to ring the insurance compant (no problem) and they sort me out with a phone. He said it it wouldn't be a new phone, but a refurbished phone that is "grand".
    The small print just says replacement handset.
    It's better than a forking out for a new phone but just wondering if anyone else has experience with this.

The phone you'll get is refurbished and for all intent and purposes as close to a new one as you'll get. The phone is like you just took it out of the box, plastic etc on it and no marks. You could ask about getting an upgrade to a newer model but you'll generally have to pay extra for this, I have heard of people being upgraded for 70-80 euro.. Its worth asking if anything.

Advertisement