Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting once-off B&B guest to pay - advice needed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Ah come on I can't go anywhere today until I've found out if he paid it or not. Will you be so kind as to update on the situation op?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stirwell

lukesmom wrote: »
    Ah come on I can't go anywhere today until I've found out if he paid it or not. Will you be so kind as to update on the situation op?????

I had planned on going to the flicks but think ill stay in, this is riveting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP gone quiet maybe someone should call the guards :D

Maybe trying to repair the big dent in the side of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'm half expecting to see reports emerging of a hostage situation in Kerry any time soon :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

stirwell wrote: »
    I had planned on going to the flicks but think ill stay in, this is riveting stuff
    And not interupted by commercials.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I stumbled on this thread, and I'm following it purely to find out how this finishes....

Same here :D need to know how this ends!!

odds_on wrote: »
    And not interupted by commercials.

Or little s41ts in the back row trying to get the shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Half past flippin two and finally have a result. I have been paid and can move the car from the gate, He was talking to one of the other people at breakfast and told them that he was ahead about €300 over the 4 days. I am sure that he was trying to wait us out but one of the other peole asked me if I was going to the course and I said load enuf for my hero to hear that I wasnt stirring from the house all day as i had loads to do.
    He had brought his stuff to the car before he had breakfast so I was on high alert. Pity this happened as I will be listening to my wife for the foreseeable future about what should and should not be done next year.
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys but I was on the back foot from the start as we never insisted on getting paid in advance from anybody.
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP gone quiet maybe someone should call the guards :D
    They might be there already:eek:
    I'm half expecting to see reports emerging of a hostage situation in Kerry any time soon :pac:
    Fawlty towers is on later:D will that do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

This is up there with the Safe thread a few months ago.

Could this guest have hired the car that has been barricaded in & done a runner on that bill as well ?

mikehn wrote: »
    Half past flippin two and finally have a result. I have been paid and can move the car from the gate, He was talking to one of the other people at breakfast and told them that he was ahead about €300 over the 4 days. I am sure that he was trying to wait us out but one of the other peole asked me if I was going to the course and I said load enuf for my hero to hear that I wasnt stirring from the house all day as i had loads to do.
    He had brought his stuff to the car before he had breakfast so I was on high alert. Pity this happened as I will be listening to my wife for the foreseeable future about what should and should not be done next year.
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys but I was on the back foot from the start as we never insisted on getting paid in advance from anybody.
    Thanks again

Well played mike. Happy for ya. You can enjoy a cold one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks again

Glad it worked out for you Mike.

For next year there is an Irish company called https://stripe.com/ie which might be handy for a one off card payment. Or you could also set up a Paypal account.
    Most people are decent and will always pay up. Sadly though there are one or two who wont and there is a higher chance you'll find this type of 'character' whereever horse racing is going on so be wary in future during race weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Op, After all out long waiting. I'd love to hear a blow by blow of the event. You think he moved his stuff in before breakfast and seen the car? Decided to hide out in the room... anxiously looking out the window for you to move the car?

Praying that you'd head out and he would be away?

He must of being stewing thinking of handing over all his winnings for the trip to pay for the 4 nights..

Did he try anything near the end? After he paid, did u immediately move that car with an ole "Ah sure if your heading off, I better move that car from the way *wink*".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Joking aside OP I am glad you didn't get shafted as the B&B business is difficult enough without people climbing out windows in the dead of night to avoid paying. maybe in future suggest taking credit card details or taking a cash deposit at the booking in time if you only take cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

Result!
    So OP...will you be declaring the cash as taxable earnings?
    :-) cruel but I just wanted to make you sweat some more.
    Great to hear your persistence was rewarded.
    At least you are clear in your mind how to deal with people next year.

Did he enquire about booking for next year???????

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Swamp3 wrote: »
    Result!
    So OP...will you be declaring the cash as taxable earnings?
    :-) cruel but I just wanted to make you sweat some more.
    Great to hear your persistence was rewarded.
    At least you are clear in your mind how to deal with people next year.

Did he enquire about booking for next year???????

this income can be exempt from tax if the OP is getting less than €10,000.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Get paid in advance in future.
    I would never have any problem paying a B&B in advance. I don't think most genuine people would have a problem either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

As a matter of interest what did he say to make you suspicious that he might be thinking of doing a runner?
    The poor guy might have been the most honest man in Kerry but we will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

note to self.........rule 8. - Out by noon on final day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

watch out if he checks in again next year, youll hear a door slamming, tyres screaming at 3am in the morning! LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hopefully someone may be able to advise me on a situation than may arise tomorrow.
    We do bed and breakfast once a year for the week of listowel races, its kind of a normal thing in the town if anyone has a spare room to register with the accomodation office. Its been grand for the last couple of years, we dont make a lot but it puts oil in the tank for the heating and we meet some really interesting people. this year for the first time I have a worry about a guy that booked in for four nights, both my wife and I were talking about it tonight and we would not be surprised if he was going to do a runner without paying. Would anyone have any suggestions as to what we can or cant do if he was to attempt to drive away. This year has been a rough one one financially, lost job 18 months ago, daughter starting 3rd level so every euro is really needed and cant afford to take this possible hit if it happens.
    Any advice as to what we can legitimally do would be really appreciated.
    Thanks
    Thanks again

I'm delighted that it all worked out for you. I saw this thread on front-page but forgot again damnit! That was a very late c/out, he should have been charged extra for that inconvenience also.

For next year though, if you only operate by cash, then insist on cash up-front. I also work in hospitality and in high-risk situations we insist on cash up-front, but also a cash deposit which is obviously refunded on check-out once all is okay ;)

Hope this won't deter you for next-year, but will enable you to be better prepared for all 'types' of customers and you won't be worrying or stressing about trouble on c/out regards payments with anyone.

Happy it all worked out for you mikehn,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Well done Mike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Great result...I think the advice you got re blocking in the car was great. I think like others said next year when you get a booking advise them that the bill has to be paid on arrival so that you avoid all that un-necessary stress or indeed ask for credit card details up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Loading the car before breakfast but waiting it out till 2.30???
    Yeah, he was definitely looking to do a legger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

In fairness, I don't know how often it really does happen but fair dues to OP's intuition. My mother did B&B for 20 years for Rose of Tralee and luckily it never happened to her (told her about this thread - she had a good laugh!). Not that I use B&Bs that much anymore but a few times in Kilkenny when we stayed in them, we were always asked upfront for payment (I'd say the stag/hen reputation contributed to that demand) but most other places, we only ever paid on check out. I don't think I minded either way. The KK B&B owners were not shy about asking upfront either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I hope you're paying tax on the earnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

RasTa wrote: »
    I hope you're paying tax on the earnings

I'm pretty sure any earnings will be under the 10k threshold for paying tax on income for renting a room. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

I assume the guest was issued with an apology for the tarnishing of his good name ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

"OH I accidently blocked the driveway the morning your leaving :o
    Sorry didnt realise, Only do the ol B and B once a year ;)

Advertisement