Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA : Qatar WC to be held in the winter

• 19-09-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭

Sky sports reports

In an move liable to infuriate the EPL, La Liga, US sports and Australia's bid UEFA have backed a move to push the Qatar World cup to winter months earmarked Dec and Jan.

Are these guys totally incompetent or the biggest trolls going along with fifa?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

*sigh* It's getting more comical as the days go on. FIFA and UEFA will always be corrupt and Qatar WC will be putting question marks over Platini and Blatter's future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Boyce comments

"At the end of the day, the best interests of football have to be sorted out and I am very confident that will be done. It's purely a one-off"

It's purely a one off.... Is this an indication that they know they have passed people off and mad a mess of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

These guys. They're crazy!

• Advertisement

Did anyone think Uefa were going to actually going to go down a different path than Fifa ?

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Did anyone think Uefa were going to actually going to go down a different path than Fifa ?

:o

No, they were always going to toe the line really but UEFA have the strongest leagues, the biggest club competition and the best International teams, 6 of the current FIFA top 10 are UEFA countries, furthermore 12 of the top 20 are from UEFA.

If the biggest countries, England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Holland, Russia kicked up stink maybe UEFA would have made more of it other then just agreeing with FIFA.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    No, they were always going to toe the line really but UEFA have the strongest leagues, the biggest club competition and the best International teams, 6 of the current FIFA top 10 are UEFA countries, furthermore 12 of the top 20 are from UEFA.

If the biggest countries, England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Holland, Russia kicked up stink maybe UEFA would have made more of it other then just agreeing with FIFA.

I'll not hold my breath.

The whole thing is sickening tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It may be a once off occurence, but it will impact on 3 if not 4 seasons no?

Seasons 20/21, 21/22 and 22/23 will all be played well out of sync with the usual season.

The decision to give this tournament to a nothing country like Quater is stupid. FFS, homosexuality is illegal there. Alcohol is more or less illegal there (but guess what, some brewery will get an exclusive for the tournament. Wonder how they will get that?). People from Israel are not allowed into Quater. What happens if Israel qualify, or will they just happen to end up in the worst qualification group that ever there was?

A corrupt disgusting organisation is all FIFA is.

I hope the likes of EPL, Bundesliga and La Liga or indeed the FA (who to be fair do have a bit of bollocks about them), The Spanish FA etc kick up a stink and threaten a boycott.

It'll disrupt quite a few seasons without a doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If it is moved to January is it held in 2022 or 2023?

Seems like you are not allowed to mention the word "Bribe" in this thread. Unfortunate, since it really will be the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

What a shambles. Football is being dragged through the mud.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seems like you are not allowed to mention the word "Bribe" in this thread. Unfortunate, since it really will be the elephant in the room.
    Hi, I'm looking for my friend 'Bill'

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

You're saying what we're all thinking but without any evidence to back it up its fairly libelous and even though I'd doubt any memeber of FIFA/UEFA are on Boards, if its found then Boards could possibily be held accountable for such a statement.

You're saying what we're all thinking but without any evidence to back it up its fairly libelous and even though I'd doubt any memeber of FIFA/UEFA are on Boards, if its found then Boards could possibily be held accountable for such a statement.

I appreciate what you are saying, but really, a summer world cup was awarded to Qatar, what more evidence do you need? ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't think there's any problem with playing it in Summer, it's unseemly to see them try to squirm out of it.

Be it Summer or Winter, it will still be hosted in Qatar. What's their admin, transport and fan infrastructure supposed to be like, which I'd consider more important

I appreciate what you are saying, but really, a summer world cup was awarded to Qatar, what more evidence do you need? ;)

I know what you're saying and I'm agreeing with ya but Platini said he wants to bring the WC to all parts of the world so thats his justification for it, if there was something dodgy may have been involved along the way, but without evidence its impossible to say for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If it is moved to January is it held in 2022 or 2023?

If its January 2022 then that will mean early start to qualification for UEFA as they leave play off games to the last international break of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I know what you're saying and I'm agreeing with ya but Platini said he wants to bring the WC to all parts of the world so thats his justification for it, if there was something dodgy may have been involved along the way, but without evidence its impossible to say for sure.

Then why didn't Australia get it, seeing as that would make it 6 continents which have hosted the World Cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Then why didn't Australia get it, seeing as that would make it 6 continents which have hosted the World Cup?

Obvious choice for me, plenty of experience with Rugby World cups etc, emerging football nation, plenty of good players around the world, good recent World Cup pedigree unlike Qatar who have none whatsoever.

Surprised they finished last in the voting, maybe some big infrastructural issues behind the scenes.

I cant answer for Platini but before it goes to Oz I'd imagine it will go back to the USA, since 94 football over there has become a hell of lot bigger and if they want to look at financials and spread sheets a WC in USA would potentially be a huge earner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Surprised they finished last in the voting, maybe some big infrastructural issues behind the scenes.

Their bid was an absolute mess, using a load of stadia belonging to other sports (which is a sizeable enough negative anyway) but even worse at the time of the final presentations they still didn't even have exclusive usage agreements in place with all those other sports/stadia.

I cant answer for Platini but before it goes to Oz I'd imagine it will go back to the USA, since 94 football over there has become a hell of lot bigger and if they want to look at financials and spread sheets a WC in USA would potentially be a huge earner.

Oh, agree with you 100% there, Blatter and co. would no doubt favour USA over Oz. But the official party line from FIFA re the Qatar bid was as you said that 'football should be for everyone', and that doesn't wash with me because Asia have had a WC before, Australia haven't.

Basically, I haven't met one person who thinks that staging the World Cup in Qatar is a good idea, and I see no justification for it being handed to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't think there's any problem with playing it in Summer, it's unseemly to see them try to squirm out of it.

Be it Summer or Winter, it will still be hosted in Qatar. What's their admin, transport and fan infrastructure supposed to be like, which I'd consider more important

Apart from the 40+ degree celsius temperatures which will make it almost impossible for fellas to play. On those grounds alone Quater should have been overlooked. Playing a football match in a desert? In June/July I ask you.

Re their infrastructure, I am sure everything like that will be incredible. They are a very rich nation afterall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

gimmick wrote: »
    Apart from the 40+ degree celsius temperatures which will make it almost impossible for fellas to play. On those grounds alone Quater should have been overlooked. Playing a football match in a desert? In June/July I ask you.

Re their infrastructure, I am sure everything like that will be incredible. They are a very rich nation afterall.

From what I've read/heard in the past while - from games played in Qatar, the temperature could be manageable at pitch level i.e for the players.

But for fans when they leave the stadium or perhaps players in training camps, the problems could arise

Doesn't it hit near 50 degrees there during the summer?

Who would even want to go out there for that? Would be no comfort.

It'll be the lowest attended world cup in a long time if it's a summer world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

But lads we are missing the most important bit of this. Think of the Fantasy Football carnage. Double gameweeks all over the shop, international injuries galore, world cup fatigue. It'll be a bleedin' disaster zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Doesn't it hit near 50 degrees there during the summer?

Who would even want to go out there for that? Would be no comfort.

It'll be the lowest attended world cup in a long time if it's a summer world cup.

It'll be the lowest attended world cup in a long time regardless, there's 2 million people there and I can't see the same level of travel as for previous world cups.

• Advertisement

If its held in Jan/Feb that means the leagues would want to go on break in November at the latest and be back about 3/4 weeks after the final which means the league will probably have to start 2 months earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I've been a football fan for as long as I can remember (I'm now 40) and the decision to award the World Cup to Qatar has made my blood boil more than any other issue I can think of. It's just sickening what has happened. There's no point even using the word 'corrupt' because it has gone well beyond that.

There is simply no way any human being should be playing in the summer heat of Qatar, never mind the world's best footballers. They wouldn't do it to their champion racehorses so why should footballers have to do it?

In a perfect world it would be taken off Qatar and they would be told where to shove their filthy cash. Clearly, this is not going to happen as there is way too much money involved. Can you imagine what the compensation claim would be?

If it's moved to the winter so be it, but I really wish they had just given it to the US. It's the perfect candidate in my opinion. Also, my two boys would be in their early-teens in 2022 and it would have been an amazing trip. If you're reading this Blatter...you ruined it for them, you clown. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The UK couldn't host a Winter Olympics because the climate doesn't suit. Why should Qatar host a World Cup. The reasons are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Bit of a discussion here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01gk07j

From the BBC News hour: Qatar World Cup Controversy with Andrew Jennings & Keir Radnedge

*warning, contains Jim Boyce*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's been decided. This will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's been decided. This will happen.

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

iDave wrote: »
    The UK couldn't host a Winter Olympics because the climate doesn't suit. Why should Qatar host a World Cup. The reasons are the same.

They do play football every season in Qatar, they dont do Winter Olympic events in England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

iDave wrote: »

Its successfully hosted an AFC championship (equivalent of our Euros) so its not some Startrekian inhospitable planet where people can't function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I'd say FIFA should strip Qatar of the WC for trying to move the goalposts, but I get the impression it was an unspoken agreement between FIFA and Qatar all along to switch the event to Winter once the bid was 'won'.

I wonder what other changes/compromises we can expect in the coming months/years? Maybe the requirement about all stadia being at least 40k will become only 30k etc etc?

Clearly tradition (or even logic) means nothing to FIFA when they give a World Cup to a country of 2 million people with practically no cities, no football culture and no stadiums. We shouldn't be surprised by anything that transpires between now and WINTER 2022.

Its successfully hosted an AFC championship (equivalent of our Euros) so its not some Startrekian inhospitable planet where people can't function.

NEEEEEERD :pac:

picture-7.png?w=590

gimmick wrote: »

Is this how you spell Qatar in Cork? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

http://blogs.aljazeera.com/blog/sport/europe-shouldnt-set-qatar-2022-temperature

Don't really agree with the fact that Qatar go it in the first place but the author does raise one or two interesting points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Madworld wrote: »
    http://blogs.aljazeera.com/blog/sport/europe-shouldnt-set-qatar-2022-temperature

Don't really agree with the fact that Qatar go it in the first place but the author does raise one or two interesting points.

Plenty out there who would alternate the tournament between Germany, England and Italy every four years. They can go **** themselves tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Don't see the big deal tbh, sure the European competitions will need to be re-jigged over maybe 2 seasons but other parts of the world have to do this every 4 years.

Madness to hold it in the summer in the middle east but I'd imagine FIFA always planned leaking the news in phases to get minimise the backlash from European FA's

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Plenty out there who would alternate the tournament between Germany, England and Italy every four years. They can go **** themselves tbh.

I'm all for spreading the World Cup to different parts of the world, but there's a plethora of countries, outside of Europe I might add, infinitely better equipped to host a World Cup then Qatar.

I love the "Oh you'd like it in Europe all the time" misrepresentation. Were many annoyed about Korea/Japan hosting? I can't remember anyone complaining apart from the odd moan when getting up for some of the matches.

The issue with Qatar hosting is the lies and hand-waving around it. FIFA themselves wants what is it, 8-10 cities to host a tournament? Not happening for some reason. When it was announced there was waffle about air-conditioning and insistence it'll happen in summer. Not happening. Then there's the environmental waffle, somehow building 9 new stadiums makes sense. Then there's them having homosexuality banned, not allowing Israelis into the country.

But yeah, I'm sure all that can be dismissed as only wanting the tournament to ever be held in Europe.:rolleyes:

Madworld wrote: »

That article doesn't address a lot of problems I have with staging the competition there.

Not once in the article does it mention the human rights issue the country has.

It bangs on about the Middle East as if it's the World Cup of the Middle East. It's not, it's the Qatari World Cup. A tiny county with basically one city and a population of around 2 million. What are they going to do with their stadiums after the party is over? 12 white elephants. Some legacy.

Also, only 32 countries get to compete in the World Cup, and one of those spots is going to a country who would have no chance of qualifying on their own merit. Very unfair imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

That article doesn't address a lot of problems I have with staging the competition being staged there.

Not once in the article does it mention the human rights issue the country has.

It bangs on about the Middle East as if it's the World Cup of the Middle East. It's not, it's the Qatari World Cup. A tiny county with basically one city and a population of around 2 million. What are they going to do with their stadiums after the party is over? 12 white elephants. Some legacy.

Also, only 32 countries get to compete in the World Cup, and one of those spots is going to a country who would have no chance of qualifying on their own merit. Very unfair imo.

That issue was dealt with in their bid. These stadiums are designed to be 'flatpacked' and sold to other countries that require a modern stadium. TBH, I was impressed with their bid and the technology they were going to use to host it.

Dempsey wrote: »
    That issue was dealt with in their bid. These stadiums are designed to be 'flatpacked' and sold to other countries that require a modern stadium. TBH, I was impressed with their bid and the technology they were going to use to host it.

I do remember hearing about that, now that you mention it. Whether their idea comes to fruition remains to be seen. Be interesting to see how they 'move' a stadium from one place to another I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

So it will be looking like the Premier League season will start last week of July and go on break mid October then back for Christmas fixtures and finish up first week of June 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I was wondering.....
    This is probably a bit of a simple idea, but say... the FAs of 5 of the biggest footballing countrys decided they didn't like this Qatar idea and all the hassle surrounding it, and proposed a boycott, on the grounds of it messing up their season/gay rights issues....
    Wouldn't FIFA be forced into changing the venue?
    Surely they would run the risk of losing a lot of money if the big teams were not present.

• Advertisement
Advertisement