Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA : Qatar WC to be held in the winter

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

They can **** right off with their desert WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

If they insist on going ahead with this, what do people see leagues doing in response?

I know some have a winter break already, but surely the Premier League's Christmas programme will take a hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

There's always the chance of a war in that neck of the woods so I hope there's a contingency plan to hold the WC somewhere else at short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The PL will have to take an shorter summer break leading into the season, and after the season to accommodate the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Dave0301 wrote: »
    If they insist on going ahead with this, what do people see leagues doing in response?

I know some have a winter break already, but surely the Premier League's Christmas programme will take a hit?

WC over by the 18th

Realisitcally England out of it by probably the 9th/10th

Full Christmas programme, probably even more games with shorter breaks to catch up the missing weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Dave0301 wrote: »

Well there is no international break in Oct.

So an earlier start to the season with some extra midweek games, then use the usual international Oct break to fit in 2 games.

Stop the season on the 13th Nov and could start it back with a bang with a full boxing day fixture list.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I can see some players being paid so much that some will 'retire' from international football, until after the World cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If the World Cup does get moved last minute, you'd have to think it would be held in England

Not a new country to holding massive events, infrastructure is already in place, tried to host it in 2018 themselves too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If the World Cup does get moved last minute, you'd have to think it would be held in England

Not a new country to holding massive events, infrastructure is already in place, tried to host it in 2018 themselves too

I think you underestimate just how disliked the English are. Even the whole attitude of 'we can be on standby in case those dodgy foreigner types can't handle it' is the sort of thing which will raise peoples ire.

Anyway I'd reckon if Qatar is moved last minute for any reason that the competition would stay in the Asian federation, 2 or 3 countries there who also fit all the same positives you suggested for England.

It will not be England with Russia having the 2018 World Cup, I say whatever country hosts the 2021 Confederations Cup will be back up and that will be an Asian country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FIFA would never give it to England anyway.

The US would be the most likely to get it on short notice I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What's become quite clear over the last couple of years is that it doesn't matter what decent people think about things as regards major sporting events. The treatment of migrant workers as regards accommodation and the payment of their wages were highlighted, the scandal as regards bribery too but nothing has been done about it bar some political public relations and a few million in the pockets of 'overseers'.

So FIFA did nothing under Blatter and then there was the FIFA scandal and we got new people at the top of FIFA and they've done nothing either.

You'd think with all this going on that other organisations would pull out of planned events in Qatar but they've hosted the World Cycling Championships, the World Amateur Boxing Championship and the IAAF track and field World Championships are scheduled to take place there in 2019.

So we are basically being told that we'll watch it whether we are happy about it or not. I think it's time to show these people that we matter. We need to boycott all events happening in countries like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Germany can do it just as easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Interestingly Columbia was give 1986 in 1974 (12 years in advance just like Qatar)

Pulled out themselves in 1982 due to the economy (not a problem for Qatar I would think)

Mexico were awarded it in 1983.

So there is still time for a move one would think.

But the only way a change would happen is if FIFA were shamed into it.

And the way to that is to get to the sponsors.

So at a global level football fans would have to put down the games consoles, the bottles of beer, the fizzy drinks, the chickens from Monaghan, the fancy runners and apparel etc etc.

The Blatter scandal does not seem to have had can impact on the question of how Qatar won the bid.

How many sponsors did FIFA lose for good over that scandal ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It will not be England with Russia having the 2018 World Cup, I say whatever country hosts the 2021 Confederations Cup will be back up and that will be an Asian country

The worlc cup host also hosts the Confederations Cup, so it will be in Qatar. Unless something changes.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    The worlc cup host also hosts the Confederations Cup, so it will be in Qatar. Unless something changes.

It's not going to be Qatar as it will be in the summer like normal

2021 June July FIFA Confederations Cup in Asia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

There will be no boycott by fans.They'll say it's awful about what happening in Qatar but but I do love the world cup so I'll turn a blind eye to it.Fans with some justification will argue we can't really make any difference so whats the point missing out on a bit of enjoyment when my action won't matter.

The only way it can be changed is by the FA's of all the countries around the world, they have real power and influence.

Anyway if you as a consumer were to have a conscience you wouldn't buy anything in the shops as I'm pretty sure for this computer I'm using right now, the clothes I'm wearing etc at some point of the production process lots of people were exploited.

The member associations of FIFA need to take a stand, they can have an immediate affect on this fans can't get organised and have an immediate affect on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RobertKK wrote: »
    I can see some players being paid so much that some will 'retire' from international football, until after the World cup.

Why would any player "retire" just for the world cup and then come back after?

They are hardly playing for the glory of winning qualifiers, if they don't get to play in the tournaments they are hardly likely to bother for the less glamorous games. So if they retire for the world cup they may as well just retire full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

eagle eye wrote: »
    You'd think with all this going on that other organisations would pull out of planned events in Qatar but they've hosted the World Cycling Championships, the World Amateur Boxing Championship and the IAAF track and field World Championships are scheduled to take place there in 2019.

And I'm sure the blazers all had a GREAT time and went home with some nice gifts (I don't mean aftershave I mean Rolexes)
    So we are basically being told that we'll watch it whether we are happy about it or not. I think it's time to show these people that we matter. We need to boycott all events happening in countries like this.

Whatever about fans boycotting it on TV, which I don't see happening, it's not an attractive place for fans to travel to, and neither is Russia - I hope for their own sake and safety they stay home.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd imagine backup would be a South Korea - Japan cohosted tournament as they're recent hosts so would have the facilities already for it. China would also be considered I'd assume but doubt they'd go for it over them doing it properly.

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd imagine backup would be a South Korea - Japan cohosted tournament as they're recent hosts so would have the facilities already for it. China would also be considered I'd assume but doubt they'd go for it over them doing it properly.

It maybe the only way Australia get to host a World Cup

Advertisement