Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Can a Home Owner carry out eletrical work in their own home?

• 19-09-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a little confused with these new regulations and what they mean to the average home owner, for example I needed to move around some devices at home namely a router, back up hard drive and some media streamers, I decided to hide them all in an unused press and wire in 3 double sockets to power the 3 devices which would leave me with some spare sockets it anything else needs to be connected.
    I've had no eletrical training just life experience and competent mates. Everything went smoothly.

Have I broken the law, if there was a fire could I be held responsible? What does the law actually mean to home owners?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I'm a little confused with these new regulations and what they mean to the average home owner, for example I needed to move around some devices at home namely a router, back up hard drive and some media streamers, I decided to hide them all in an unused press and wire in 3 double sockets to power the 3 devices which would leave me with some spare sockets it anything else needs to be connected.
    I've had no eletrical training just life experience and competent mates. Everything went smoothly.

Have I broken the law, if there was a fire could I be held responsible? What does the law actually mean to home owners?

You have no qualifications to wire anything...if your house burns down if a fault occurs in the sockets...your insurance may be void.
    Also you may be overloading a circuit....average homeowners was never allowed do electrical work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Doom wrote: »
    You have no qualifications to wire anything...if your house burns down if a fault occurs in the sockets...your insurance may be void.
    Also you may be overloading a circuit....

Really? I thought it was just illegal to tamper with the fusebox. Surely sockets and light switches are fine if you own the house?

No....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No....

It's illegal to wire a socket or a light switch?

What's the penalty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No....

No, you need an electrician to change a socket, light fitting or switch by law?

• Advertisement

All electricians will have to be registered with RECI or similar to carry out ANY electrical works, adding sockets etc.
    You added sockets, this means you should have your house re-tested and certified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Arent you allowed switch like for like, as in a light switch, light fitting,or socket for a replacement of any of same?

If you're not adding fittings, just replacing? And we're talking about home owners, not people claiming to be electricians?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you're not adding fittings, just replacing? And we're talking about home owners, not people claiming to be electricians?

yes in your own home, not handyman will change sockets

cerastes wrote: »
    Arent you allowed switch like for like, as in a light switch, light fitting,or socket for a replacement of any of same?

I don't think being "allowed" or not will make a difference to the vast majority of people, not to me anyway.

• Advertisement

The op added sockets, that is illegal now.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't think being "allowed" or not will make a difference to the vast majority of people, not to me anyway.

I just mean what is allowed or not officially, what is the limit
    What if someone moved into a home where a previous occupant had done work or had work completed by a non RECI person??

The op added sockets, that is illegal now.

I thought it was from the 1st of October?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Link to show the illegality please?

Sounds like b0llix to me. (Not a dig at Doom, just the law if it's true.)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The CER has today (23rd July 2013) published the decision paper on the Scope of Restricted Electrical Works (CER/13/147). This will mean that only a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) can complete electrical work in domestic premises, with the exception of Minor Works. These regulations shall be enacted on 1st October 2013 through the Statutory Instrument Electricity Regulation Act 1999 (Restricted Electrical Works) Regulations 2013.

This question is answered in full here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement