Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any truth to the Mayo curse?

• 19-09-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,554 ✭✭✭✭

Jazus the hairs stood on the back of my neck when I heard it, seemingly the Mayo winners in 1951 drove past a funeral on their way home from the all Ireland and the priest cursed them for doing it, the curse was they'd never win an all Ireland again until every player on that team is dead and buried, there's still one player still alive!

Any truth to this curse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

I'll tell you on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Slip me a tenner & I'll tell you at 5.02pm on Sunday. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

I've never seen a single sentence with so much wrong in it in m my life :D

Not just talking about this curse nonsense, Mayo weren't winning anything in 56 and I'm pretty sure 3 are alive ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Jazus the hairs stood on the back of my neck when I heard it, seemingly the Mayo winners in 1956 drove past a funeral on their way home from the all Ireland and the priest cursed them for doing it, the curse was they'd never win an all Ireland again until every player on that team is dead and buried, there's still one player still alive!

Any truth to this curse?

No
    </thread>

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭claypigeon777

Of course not.
    There is no such thing as the supernatural.
    There is no God, there is no life after death, there is no heaven or hell and there are no magic spells or curses or potions etc.
    It's all a bunch of crap.

How could a superannuated virgin who mumbles hocus pocus over a dead body 60 years ago have the ability to prevent football players on pitch in Dublin in 2013 from winning a match?

Use logic and common sense would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Its BS. 1952 to 1988 Mayo didn't reach any All Ireland final. In 1989,1997,2004,2006 and 2012 they were simply beaten by sides that were better than them. 1996 was the one unlucky year but thats sport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

I heard it was a traveller woman and they were passing a traveller funeral. Anyway, Im a Dub and work in Mayo so I have divided loyalties. Its like I cant chooses between the ice cream or the apple tart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,554 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sorry think I meant to say 1951

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Of curse not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

3 of that team are still alive:
    Paddy Prendergast
    Dr. Padraig Carney
    Dr. Mickey Loftus

And the Curse is BullSh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,554 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

KMFCross wrote: »
    3 of that team are still alive:
    Paddy Prendergast
    Dr. Padraig Carney
    Dr. Mickey Loftus

And the Curse is BullSh*t.

Is it true only one of them actually played on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Is the OP looking for genuine clarification on this?

Not sure will find out though, i Know Dr Mickey Loftus did not play but I think Padraig Carney and Paddy Prendergast did. Will verify this with the auld man and post back in the morning.

Is it true only one of them actually played on the day?

Not sure will find out though, i Know Dr Mickey Loftus did not play but I think Padraig Carney and Paddy Prendergast did. Will verify this with the auld man and post back in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Will be plenty of swearing and cursing from Mayo supporters if they lose another All Ireland on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

thomur wrote: »
    I heard it was a traveller woman and they were passing a traveller funeral. Anyway, Im a Dub and work in Mayo so I have divided loyalties. Its like I cant chooses between the ice cream or the apple tart

http://www.oneills.com/gift-ideas/half-half-county-jersey-1/half-half-county-jersey.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

I think the facts speak for themselves.

The proof is in the pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mena02

Peter Quinn is also alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Michael OMuihearteach is only person I heard say it was a funeral in Foxford Never heard this from anyone from Foxford In 1951 an incident as described would have been passed on down years with name of funeral in question It never happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Is the OP looking for genuine clarification on this?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and presume that the OP is asking whether or not the rest of us have heard of the curse, as opposed to asking if the curse itself is real. Coz if he is asking if the curse is real...well.....:o:o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Its BS. 1952 to 1988 Mayo didn't reach any All Ireland final. In 1989,1997,2004,2006 and 2012 they were simply beaten by sides that were better than them. 1996 was the one unlucky year but thats sport.

So you're saying that Mayo teams have consistently lost AI finals to better teams except that Meath team that deservedly beat them and went on to add another all-ireland 3 years later??? A team that included the likes of geraghty, giles, mcdermott and fay :confused:

Anyway I've been in enough '96 arguments while in college in the west to know that theres no point trying to argue with some of them. Would like to see Mayo finally do it but I'm glad that it's not at our expense, don't think I could stomach that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Jazus the hairs stood on the back of my neck when I heard it, seemingly the Mayo winners in 1951 drove past a funeral on their way home from the all Ireland and the priest cursed them for doing it, the curse was they'd never win an all Ireland again until every player on that team is dead and buried, there's still one player still alive!

Any truth to this curse?

No, it's a silly old myth and that's all. How could you think otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The OP is on the wind up or is a complete simpleton. I never heard of this curse in the 90's. Seems to have cropped up around 2004/06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,643 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ye call that a curse?
    Biddy Early's curse lasted 81 years

(which is even more amazing given that she died herself in 1875 which was 39 years before she she cursed the Clare and Galway Teams)

Mayo, bunch of lightweights if you ask me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭skaface

I was talking to my friend about this "curse", when his father overheard us and asked if we had heard about the curse on the Waterford hurlers, which i had never heard.
    He said that when Waterford Last won the AI in 1959, A child fell under the bus that was bringing the team up through the Quays in the city and died.
    His mother cursed the team and said Waterford would NOT win another Senior AI Hurling Title until all the team had died.. that was 50 odd years ago, and we have not won one since.. ( 5 or 6 of that team are still alive afaik)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Hibbeler wrote: »
    So you're saying that Mayo teams have consistently lost AI finals to better teams except that Meath team that deservedly beat them and went on to add another all-ireland 3 years later??? A team that included the likes of geraghty, giles, mcdermott and fay :confused:

Anyway I've been in enough '96 arguments while in college in the west to know that theres no point trying to argue with some of them. Would like to see Mayo finally do it but I'm glad that it's not at our expense, don't think I could stomach that. :pac:

Well considering Mayo led by 6 points in the drawn game and were pegged by a flukey point that bounced over the bar with the last kick of the game, went to extra time in the replay having played without arguably their best player for the entire game and only lost to a magical point kicked in injury time one could argue that yes, they were every bit as good as Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

bo-sco wrote: »
    Well considering Mayo led by 6 points in the drawn game and were pegged by a flukey point that bounced over the bar with the last kick of the game, went to extra time in the replay having played without arguably their best player for the entire game and only lost to a magical point kicked in injury time one could argue that yes, they were every bit as good as Meath.

Mayo weren't the only team in that era to build up a big lead against Meath and see it whittled down so theres nothing special about that. The flukey point could just as easily of been a flukey goal so they were lucky enough it was even a draw.
    The magical point was a well taken kick by Brendan Reilly, a player at the top of his game which followed a clever goal after some quick thinking by Graham Geraghty and Tommy Dowd.
    Meath 96 breezed their way to a Leinster final, ground a deserved victory against defending AI champions Dublin and hammered a heavily fancied Tyrone in the semi. Meath were the team of 96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

we have similar story about the waterford hurling team, all nonsense

Well if the supernatural does exist and this curse is for real then light a few candles in the church, say load of rosaries to Holy God, get the team to swear off booze and sluts and kebabs and kneel and pray, get a priest to perform an exorcism, sprinkle the team bus, their boots, the dressing room and the pitch with Holy Water and have the fans shout "IT'S THE POWER OF CHRIST THAT COMPELS YOU!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

If they dont win on Sunday. Then there is truth in the curse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Of course not.
    There is no such thing as the supernatural.
    There is no God, there is no life after death, there is no heaven or hell and there are no magic spells or curses or potions etc.
    It's all a bunch of crap.

How could a superannuated virgin who mumbles hocus pocus over a dead body 60 years ago have the ability to prevent football players on pitch in Dublin in 2013 from winning a match?

Use logic and common sense would you?

Methinks the lady doth protest too much :D:D
    thomur wrote: »

I assume Mayo is the Ice Cream ;)

Akrasia wrote: »
    Ye call that a curse?
    Biddy Early's curse lasted 81 years

(which is even more amazing given that she died herself in 1875 which was 39 years before she she cursed the Clare and Galway Teams)

Mayo, bunch of lightweights if you ask me :)

Apparently Biddy Early was an elderly woman who was in league with Quare Folk but she had many young male lovers. It is said she could transform herself into an attractive young woman.

The storyteller Eddie Lenihan has an encyclopedic knowledge of the Quare Folk, The Boys, The Good People and The Other Crowd otherwise known as the Fairies.

Some of the stories he has to tell will freeze the blood.

He is adamant that they are real.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fionalynch

I heard this last year on "Up for the match" before the donegal game, and it proved true there i suppose (thankfully, as i'm from donegal <3 ) but i wouldnt say there's much truth, at bthe end of the day the better team will win and the better team is Mayo:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

fionalynch wrote: »
    I heard this last year on "Up for the match" before the donegal game, and it proved true there i suppose (thankfully, as i'm from donegal <3 ) but i wouldnt say there's much truth, at bthe end of the day the better team will win and the better team is Mayo:)

"It proved true" wtf are you raving about? We lost the match because ye were the better team. Honest to god :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

iDave wrote: »
    Mayo weren't the only team in that era to build up a big lead against Meath and see it whittled down so theres nothing special about that. The flukey point could just as easily of been a flukey goal so they were lucky enough it was even a draw.
    The magical point was a well taken kick by Brendan Reilly, a player at the top of his game which followed a clever goal after some quick thinking by Graham Geraghty and Tommy Dowd.
    Meath 96 breezed their way to a Leinster final, ground a deserved victory against defending AI champions Dublin and hammered a heavily fancied Tyrone in the semi. Meath were the team of 96

I never said Meath weren't deserving. I was suggesting that Mayo were just as good as them which is fairly evident from the 160 minutes they played.

The original post went on with some rubbish about what a great Meath team it was and implied that suggesting that Mayo could have beaten them was ridiculous.

Btw, of course the magical point was a well taken kick, that's what magical points are. If it was a fisted point from 10 yards I wouldn't have referred to it as magical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Curse me arse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

fionalynch wrote: »

Science....Rule number 1.... 'Correlation does not imply Causation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

bo-sco wrote: »
    I never said Meath weren't deserving. I was suggesting that Mayo were just as good as them which is fairly evident from the 160 minutes they played.

The original post went on with some rubbish about what a great Meath team it was and implied that suggesting that Mayo could have beaten them was ridiculous.

Btw, of course the magical point was a well taken kick, that's what magical points are. If it was a fisted point from 10 yards I wouldn't have referred to it as magical.

That's not what was meant at all, sorry if you thought it came across that way. I was responding to an earlier post that said that Mayo were beaten by better teams in all their recent AI finals except 1996 where they were only 'unlucky' thus downplaying what was a great achievement for a team that went into almost every match the underdog that year, yet came out on top.

Perhaps Mayo were unlucky that year and could have won but the fact is they let their lead slip and lost. I am not saying for one moment that the thought of a mayo win in '96 is a ridiculous notion.

Lets just hope that the Mayo team don't skip mass on the way down to Dublin this year, then this curse talk can be all put behind us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

The curse is taken quite seriously by a lot of Mayo people I know.

I heard the management had a private meeting with the team to discuss it last week. It will be in the back of the mind if the going gets tough on Sunday no matter how much they've tried to block it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

iDave wrote: »

Didn't meath beat dublin by 10 points that year? 1 year after Dublin beat meath by 10 points. Shows you all the same how important Dublin and meath have been for each other over the years.
    Would be good to get that back for both counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Padjo went against the Rhus too. Not looking good for the neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

A curse - nonsense, curses aren't real ya messer...

But just to sure they got the priest out to bless the team!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/cleric-blesses-cursed-mayo-243317.html

Was their a curse placed on Galways hurling team too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Any truth to this curse?

No, Mayo have an easy passage out of Connacht, then they are good enough to knock 1 or 2 teams out, but not good enough to go all the way.

Let's hope they can do it this year.

If Mayo were in Munster, they wouldn't be losing as many all irelands, because they simply wouldn't be getting to finals.

Curse case closed.

Mayo have till 5.00pm on Sunday to hire a hitman and take out the subjects of this curse. Result All Ireland Glory. No brainer :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Stoner wrote: »
    Didn't meath beat dublin by 10 points that year? 1 year after Dublin beat meath by 10 points. Shows you all the same how important Dublin and meath have been for each other over the years.
    Would be good to get that back for both counties.

To the best of my memory it finished 0-10 0-08. Wet day in croker made it low scoring. Wasnt a classic but it was very hard fought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Amprodude wrote: »
    Was their a curse placed on Galways hurling team too?

Apparently, not sure of the specifics though. Think it was something along the lines of leaving mass early, the next time we win an AI the captain must be from the Gaeltacht iirc.

THFC wrote: »
    Apparently, not sure of the specifics though. Think it was something along the lines of leaving mass early, the next time we win an AI the captain must be from the Gaeltacht iirc.

But sure they won it in 1980 1987 and 1988. When did they say this curse happened? I thought it was in the 1910's/ 1920's? And what did the Clare team of 1914 do that a curse was put on them?

THFC wrote: »

Since 1988?

Correct me if i'm wrong but isnt most of the hurling played in Galway in the east of the county?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Amprodude wrote: »
    But sure they won it in 1980 1987 and 1988. When did they say this curse happened? I thought it was in the 1910's/ 1920's? And what did the Clare team of 1914 do that a curse was put on them?

Aye, and Joe Connolly was captain in 1980, I think just about the whole nation has seen his famous speech by now..

• Advertisement
Advertisement