Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any truth to the Mayo curse?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

seligehgit wrote: »
    I do believe there's possibly a psychological block as a result of the accumulative final losses.

However the MAIN factor that one can attribute to our losses is the lack of quality inside forwards.

Or a curse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Exactly the point
    They can get to the line but can't get over it!
    Who do blame for that?

Maybe the fact that only one team can win the game? If Dublin they got two late points, would that mean Dublin have a losers mentality.....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Maybe the fact that only one team can win the game? If Dublin they got two late points, would that mean Dublin have a losers mentality.....:confused:

Always the other team?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Jayop wrote: »
    Or a curse?

I can't really believe I'm posting in any thread that gives credence to this nonsense re a curse.In fact the idea that it's solely a few Mayo people that give oxygen to this raméis is a fallacy.It is I believe others that mention it as a form of ridicule and mockery that perpetuate it's existence.

The reasons for our final losses have been multi factorial... Beaten by better teams,lost on the line(management decisions),underperforming on occasion... The most obvious example against possibly the poorest Kerry team to ever win an All Ireland in 1997.

Ultimately our forwards have not been good enough to get us over the line.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Always the other team?

of course not, we were speaking about this current team, in every game they have gone out onto the Croke Park turf, they have showed a winning mentality. Maybe on the day, they came up short, whether it be by the better team, or the width of a post or some bad luck and a mistake here and there. There is no shame losing to the teams like Kerry and Dublin on the day if you go out and put it up to them. There have been many Mayo teams, whether 20 years ago or 10 that haven't shown such a mental resolve but these lads have shown it.
    Look at each games on their merit.
    As awful and heartbreaking as this year was, and as little consolation it is to them, losing by a point over 165 minutes of fast paced football against this overwhelmingly talented Dublin team is no shame.

Perhaps look at the obstacle they face as well. Take that into account. If you realise how good this Dublin team is and how huge a task it would be to overcome them, then at least take into account how close they were to beating them. Maybe, perhaps, you think Mayo are the better team, which may explain why you would dismiss their mwinning mentality as thus as they should be beating them at ease.

Thats different I guess.

It was Dublin who gave up 5 points without reply over the respective injury times between both matches, remember.

Surely you cant question a teams want to win when they could have easily rolled over at 3 points down last Sunday week against the best defence in the country, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I can't really believe I'm posting in any thread that gives credence to this nonsense re a curse.In fact the idea that it's solely a few Mayo people that give oxygen to this raméis is a fallacy.It is I believe others that mention it as a form of ridicule and mockery that perpetuate it's existence.

The reasons for our final losses have been multi factorial... Beaten by better teams,lost on the line(management decisions),underperforming on occasion... The most obvious example against possibly the poorest Kerry team to ever win an All Ireland in 1997.

Ultimately our forwards have not been good enough to get us over the line.

Or......? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

It was Dublin who gave up 5 points without reply over the respective injury times between both matches, remember.

Surely you cant question a teams want to win when they could have easily rolled over at 3 points down last Sunday week against the best defence in the country, no?

I'm sure every team in any game wants to win. But Mayo can't and don't win. Nothing to do with a curse or mentality IMO. They simply.....

.....aren't good enough at this point in time.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm sure every team in any game wants to win. But Mayo can't and don't win. Nothing to do with a curse or mentality IMO. They simply.....

which is a lot different to a winning mentality, or lack thereof, which was the discussion. Whether or not you opine that they aren't good enough is different debate to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nor have they been good enough for the previous 7 finals?
    Up to 1951 their final record was a fairly even, won 3 lost 4.
    The odds of losing 8 finals in a row are 1024 - 1
    What changed?

• Advertisement

which is a lot different to a winning mentality, or lack thereof, which was the discussion. Whether or not you opine that they aren't good enough is different debate to be fair.

Hang on a second here. Last night you admitted to not knowing why this Mayo team can't win an AI, while disregarding a "curse" or "not being good enough". So what's the reason??? Does the debate change hourly to suit the poor Mayo agenda?? Or can we actually discuss this teams absolute failure to win an AI?

I don't really believe in curses to any great degree, but that Mayo team will not win an AI. I'm sure you know why.
    I'm sure I don't. If you don't think that Mayo team can't win an All Ireland, you clearly haven't being watching them for years. Well capable. The "bottler" or "not good enough" stuff is as bad as the "curse" joke!
    Hang on a second here. Last night you admitted to not knowing why this Mayo team can't win an AI, while disregarding a "curse" or "not being good enough". So what's the reason??? Does the debate change hourly to suit the poor Mayo agenda?? Or can we actually discuss this teams absolute failure to win an AI?

No last night I was assuming by your post you were saying they weren't good enogh by "I assume you know why" . I apologise if that was the wrong inference. Essentially the "Im sure I don't" inference was a reply to your "I'm sure you know why!" (what I took up to be ) an inference on their quality/ability to win. Sorry if that inference was wrongly interpreted.
    Anyway, I went on to say that they are good enough, that I think they will win one with this batch of players and today I disagreed with the point that they don't have a winning mentality.

You disagree on the "they aren't good enough" aspect so what else do you want me to say! Its not really a worthwhile discussion if we disagree on their quality.

I also gave a few reasons on the last page why they havent got over the line, in my opinion. Anyway, we disagree on the fundamental point of they have it in them to win an All Ireland. So, that's about the end of the discussion!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Some Dubs have short memories. I remember the abuse we got in 80s and 90s and again even more so after 95 to 2011 for being "bottlers" and "losers" and "chokers".

All nonsense. If Mayo fit any of those descriptions they would not keep coming back. No-one knows what will happen in sport. They might never win one. But they keep trying. Some people seem not to recognise the virtue in that.

I was around for all of it. Dublin eventually broke through. Mayo still haven't broken through.

Anyway, we disagree on the fundamental point of they have it in them to win an All Ireland. So, that's about the end of the discussion!

For now, as you are moving goalposts.

For now, as you are moving goalposts.

what goalposts did I move?
    I've maintained three points
    They are good enough
    They have a winning mentality
    I believe they will win an All Ireland in the next few years.

Obviously I have made other points, but I haven't strayed from the core outlook of the above.

Unless, you want to dig and show me otherwise?

Unless, you want to dig and show me otherwise?

I don't preach to the blind. You may have the last word now.

• Advertisement

I don't preach to the blind. You may have the last word now.

Gladly! Oh preach, you do!

I was around for all of it. Dublin eventually broke through. Mayo still haven't broken through.

I really don't know what you are seeking from this discussion?Evidently until we make the breakthrough we aren't good enough.

I really don't know what you are seeking from this discussion?Evidently until we make the breakthrough we aren't good enough.

Talking about being good enough, while not actually winning it, is simply going around in circles, again and again and again.

What am I seeking? The same thing Mayo are seeking.

A result.

Talking about being good enough, while not actually winning it, is simply going around in circles, again and again and again.

What am I seeking? The same thing Mayo are seeking.

A result.

Well if one doesn't believe one is good enough then there's little point in turning up... Defeatist attitude.One might as well wave the white flag.

At this point in time we aren't good enough but I'm sure the lads and management will seek to put that right next year.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Jaysus, for a team with no winning mentality, they were fairly living on the edge there giving everything over 165 odd minutes almost and losing by a kick of the ball against one of the best and w/o doubt the most professional teams over the decades. Another step out of line and they could have been very negligent and won that game.

Lucky they conceded those two own goals and thankfully RH played his part in keeping that generalisation!

Little scamps, they had us there!

They were ahead for 11 minutes out of the 167 or so minutes played, that does not display a winning mentality. Sure they were never far behind which does display the resilience I talked about, but when they get close or a little ahead, they are not able to hang on. They freeze, lacking the winning mentality to actually close the deal.

I thought that might have changed after they closed the deal against Tyrone, but it seems that by nearly throwing it all away, it only served to reinforce their insecurity. So full marks to Mayo for mental resilience, and I expect to see them in the quarters or semis again next year, but zero marks for a winning mentality when it really counts.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    They were ahead for 11 minutes out of the 167 or so minutes played, that does not display a winning mentality. Sure they were never far behind which does display the resilience I talked about, but when they get close or a little ahead, they are not able to hang on. They freeze, lacking the winning mentality to actually close the deal.

I thought that might have changed after they closed the deal against Tyrone, but it seems that by nearly throwing it all away, it only served to reinforce their insecurity. So full marks to Mayo for mental resilience, and I expect to see them in the quarters or semis again next year, but zero marks for a winning mentality when it really counts.

I actually hate to say it but I agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Finals are all about winning
    The best team always wins-nobody remembers the great performance of the losers it's irrelevant
    If you don't win ur not good enough simple

Godge wrote: »

I'm not sure if the scars of past defeats are weighing heavily on the psyche but I've always been of a mind that there has been at times a lack of belief coming into the squeaky bum time,irrespective of whither we were defending a lead or a game was on a knife edge.The finish of Tyrone game really concerned me,we should have pushed on for the kill,similar scenario trying to defend a four point advantage with fifteen to go in the replay last year.Loss of a six point advantage in a league game in Croker in past times.

However I believe all this could be overridden if we'd a little bit more quality up front.Ultimately a lack of same has been what has cost us some All Irelands down through the years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

josip wrote: »
    Up to 1951 their final record was a fairly even, won 3 lost 4. The odds of losing 8 finals in a row are 1024 - 1
    Galway lost 9 hurling finals in a row before winning in 1980.

wow, never knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭arctictree

But Galway only had to win one match to get to the final in those days....

arctictree wrote: »

But Galway only had to win one match to get to the final in those days....

2. There was some sort of QF with someone. Munster winners straight to final, leinster winner into semis. Then Galway play leinster winner in semi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

2. There was some sort of QF with someone. Munster winners straight to final, leinster winner into semis. Then Galway play leinster winner in semi

It's a lot easier passage to an AIF than in football though and their 9 losses were over a greater period of time than Mayo's 8 losses from 1989-2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,465 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

True but Galway were not a particularly strong hurling county until the 1970's. They basically ended up in a lot of those finals due to a quirk of geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

The curse has been dragging Mayo teams down for years and yet has never received a black card! The GAA seriously need to review this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Indeed but totally irrelevant, for most years, just one good performance and they were into a final, you cant compare the two. They were in many finals when they were nowhere near being in the top two in the country, same does not apply to Mayo.

It's a lot easier passage to an AIF than in football though and their 9 losses were over a greater period of time than Mayo's 8 losses from 1989-2016.

of course! Never disputed that! 4 All Ireland Hurling titles in 130 years!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Galway were in Munster SHC in 50s and never won a game. You could not say that about Mayo footballers if they were in any of the other three provinces.

Not that it was - or indeed still is at underage and club - Galway's fault. Just a symptom of a ludicrous structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

of course! Never disputed that! 4 All Ireland Hurling titles in 130 years!!! :D

3 of them in the 1980s in fact. Galway are not and never will be a hurling power. 3 counties have it sown up.

Kilkenny 36
    Cork 30
    Tipperary 27

3 of them in the 1980s in fact. Galway are not and never will be a hurling power. 3 counties have it sown up.

Kilkenny 36
    Cork 30
    Tipperary 27

I said 4 in 130 years. It was just a jokingly stated hyperbolic statistic, but true, nonetheless!

I know the years they won them in the 80s, but actually had taken no head to their previous record. Hurling is a much more level playing field now and not to have won an All Ireland for almost 30 years in Galway, is arguably approaching a relative version of Mayo's records if it keeps going on (which arguably it will!) , considering that they are always there or there abouts.
    The curse sh1te was being muttered about 20 years ago to a certain extent when Mayo were losing finals in the 90s!

I think it has more to to do with all the ifs, buts, maybes, drama and calamities on AI final day with Mayo though.

There will be a film made someday...............!

There will be a film made someday...............!

Only IF Mayo actually win an AI. Film may be an outdated concept by then.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I dont believe in curses but when carney and prendergast finally pass on, never mind two in a rows it'll be FIVE in a row. And mayo will be crowned greatest team of all time.
    Pretty straight forward I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭josip

kupus wrote: »
    I dont believe in curses but when carney and prendergast finally pass on, never mind two in a rows it'll be FIVE in a row. And mayo will be crowned greatest team of all time.
    Pretty straight forward I think.

Even more straightforward would be for Paddy Prendergast and Padraig Carney to visit Thomas Burke's grave and pay their respects.
    The curse will be undone and Mayo will be the 2017 All Ireland champions.
    You could easily be waiting another 10 years otherwise.

The curse sh1te was being muttered about 20 years ago to a certain extent when Mayo were losing finals in the 90s!

I think the "curse" was also mooted when they didn't reach a final for 38 years after the 1951 two-in-a-row.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

ah brilliant Moo Land!I laughed out loud at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,266 ✭✭✭✭km79

It really is VERY funny !

It's Moo Moo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

It's just an excuse for being absolute bottlers, or ****e on the day, or robbed. Long may it all last though, nothing more pathetic than people believing this curse ;)

Ahahhaahhaaahhha best thing on utube :D:D

• Advertisement

Speaking of curses, the Chicago Cubs spectacularly buried their particular 'curse' overnight. They had the 'curse of the goat' hanging over them. Some guy and his goat weren't allowed into Wrigley Field during a game of the 1945 world series. Annoyed, he said the Cubs would never again reach another world series. Not only did they reach one this year, but then they went on to win it. 3 games to 1 down, they won 4-3! They actually blew a 3 run lead last nite (as a Mayo fan that sounds familiar), winning 8-7 in the 10th inning. It's their first world series win since 1908.

That was only a pretend curse, Mayo's is the real deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Only seeing that YouTube video now
    Absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

So will the truth still be there after 5pm today? I think it could be their day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That curse will be ended today....

• Advertisement
Advertisement