Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ibood.ie LED 5w gu10's

• 20-09-2013 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys, just a heads up on the below. Also I'm taking it as per the image its for 6 bulbs and not 1? also if I order two lots, will I be charged for the shipping just the once?

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea just 1 delivery charge, you can order up to 4 per order

There not exactly cheap, you might get just as good value locally...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Idbatterim wrote: »
    hey guys, just a heads up on the below. Also I'm taking it as per the image its for 6 bulbs and not 1? also if I order two lots, will I be charged for the shipping just the once?

Are you sure its 6 of them for that price??

Philips Master 4 watt GU10 LED Downlight....40 degree spread.

8 euro 30 cents plus vat in Eurosales or any decent leccy wholesaler.

Better quality too.....1 single cree led.

Have them in my house and a lovely warm white light from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

I knew it was you Paddy when I read the post before seeing who wrote it!

Dutch Ibood ad says its 6 GU10s...so Id take it that its 6 GU10s in the OP post.

Note that the ad was back in Febuary of this year though.

http://home-living-nl-nl.forum.ibood.com/31153-foreverlamp_5w_led_spot_met_180_lumens_in_2700k_warm_white/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

hey paddy, yeah I have those philips installed in my family home, bought them from Eurosales. They do a great job... I honestly thing anyone using the 50w versions GU 10's if they have loads of them, either needs their heards examined or have money to burn...

• Advertisement

hey paddy, yeah I have those philips installed in my family home, bought them from Eurosales. They do a great job... I honestly thing anyone using the 50w versions GU 10's if they have loads of them, either needs their heards examined or have money to burn...

Have you ever tried to put your hand on a normal 50W GU1O downlight bulb when its on and lit??

Its so hot your skin and hand would melt onto the bulb and you would be burned and scarred for life in an instant.

Seriously dangerous and a big fire risk too.:eek:

Beam angle is only 25 degrees......so it will only give a narrow beam and spread of light.

Just be aware of that.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

paddy147 wrote: »
    Have you ever tried to put your hand on a normal 50W GU1O downlight bulb when its on and lit??

Its so hot your skin and hand would melt onto the bulb and you would be burned and scarred for life in an instant.

Seriously dangerous and a big fire risk too.:eek:

Yeah, but try lighting a cigarette off a Philips master. Not a chance. A well lit GU10 could spark up a havana ;)

Feck the bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Groupon have Verbatim ones. Any opinions on these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

paddy147 wrote: »
    Beam angle is only 25 degrees......so it will only give a narrow beam and spread of light.

Just be aware of that.;)

180 lumens is a pretty poor output too, these won't come close to replacing the light output of a 50w halogen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭branners69

I replaced 25 with these from Ikea

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20220039/

No doubt Philips are better but I was seriously impressed as to how much brighter the rooms are at a fraction of the running cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pretty sure there's some sort of offer on in Woodies for Landlite LED Gu10's, 25 euro for 5 I think. I'll have a look later.

Well worth getting LED's though, super bright, and just a fraction of the cost. Think mine are 3w.

So is the general concensous (sp?) that a single big LED is better than the ones with 60 small ones?

Also, there's a crowd called LightRabbit that have these LEDs. I can get 15 delivered for €116.42. Would they be worth it?

Yep...1 single Cree LED is better than any of the "cluster" type LED bulbs.

With regards to the Ikea bulbs..............Thread of mine on Ikea LED bulbs (with pics) from a few months ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83801902

Nice one Paddy.

So are the Philips still "the dogs", or are there just as good cheaper alternatives? Looking to replace 15 x 40w GU10s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

also worth mentioning that the ibood ones are NOT dimmable which was a dealbreaker for me.

time to get the rest of the house LED'd up methinks before the winter sets in and the lights are on all the time. it's a big enough gaff, so there's a hape of lights around the place that will suck up the juice. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

If I remember correctly, these are the led lights that have a huge potential to be lethal. I'm pretty sure I saw a YouTube video about these lights before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

calnand wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, these are the led lights that have a huge potential to be lethal. I'm pretty sure I saw a YouTube video about these lights before.

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

It was something about the wires weren't correctly insulated and we're touching the metal casing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭branners69

vibe666 wrote: »
    also worth mentioning that the ibood ones are NOT dimmable which was a dealbreaker for me.

We have one dimmable switch with 5 spots connected and when I put the Ikea 3.4w ones in the lights wouldnt come on. There was just a humming noise. It turns out the watts were too low with only the Ikea ones in, once I added one of the old 50w back the lights worked again.

So rather than having 250w I now have 63.6w, not a solution exactly but in case others run into the same problem!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Soarer wrote: »
    So is the general concensous (sp?) that a single big LED is better than the ones with 60 small ones?

Also, there's a crowd called LightRabbit that have these LEDs. I can get 15 delivered for €116.42. Would they be worth it?

They have great customer service, but I think they use Chinese bulbs, and you could be stung for customs. I ended up buying local, and got 6w megaman gu10 for e12 or e13 and I can't believe how good they are. I've tried loads of led bulbs over the last 2 years and these are by far the best I've found.

These are the ones... http://www.energybulbs.co.uk/products/Clearance/Megaman+LED+Sale/Megaman+LED+6W+GU10+Dimmable/550642538

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I buy my GU10 LED from the eBay seller "hq_auto_lighting_uk".
    I've found these excellent - pretty much equivalent in light and colour (not quite as yellow) to the standard 50W : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-GU10-60LED-3-5W-Energy-saving-bulbs-Warm-White-/140339132719?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item20acdd392f
    I've got about 20 of these in my house for about 3 years now with no problems.

Works out at £50 for 10 including postage (approx 60 Euro)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I've found these excellent - pretty much equivalent in light and colour (not quite as yellow) to the standard 50W : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-GU10-60LED-3-5W-Energy-saving-bulbs-Warm-White-/140339132719?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item20acdd392f

Fair play. You got lucky with that online sh1te. Get the branded ones. Paddy147 has a share in a small company.....Philips, I think. And they do a good led bulb. Master range. I'm sure he'll look after you with a decent boards discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Need a replacement for 50w . Got stung before with led bulbs. They where abit crap. White Light with low lumins. Where is a good place to buy 6w ones that do the same job as the halogen bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

the prob with ibood is the shipping cost is €12.50

the prob with ibood is the shipping cost is €12.50
    true, youd probably wanting to be order 12 at least, the below link was posted by another posted. Also the philips ones are very good and are about E10 each including vat...

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/ask-electronics-ltd/26872948

paddy is there anything decent LED bulb wise for the recessed lighting you would have in apartments etc, you know the ones they stick one or two ccfl's into? I live in a block thats maybe 12 years old and they have the lights running 24 hours a day, there must be hundreds of bulbs between all the different blocks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

deadl0ck wrote: »

I picked 10 of these a few days ago from the seller listed - arried today @ my parcel motel - have to say they are brighter then the 50Watt Halogen GU10s I removed - took some photos of them and I'll uplodar once my eyesight returns to normal!

anyway - another recommendation from me for these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I picked 10 of these a few days ago from the seller listed - arried today @ my parcel motel - have to say they are brighter then the 50Watt Halogen GU10s I removed - took some photos of them and I'll uplodar once my eyesight returns to normal!

Excellent :) Glad to be of help !

• Advertisement

are they dimmable?

also, i'd be worried about the heat off all those LED's and how it would effect the overall life of the individual LED's in the cluster in the longer term.

still a decent deal for the money though.

By any chance, were the ones you replaced 40w? Could explain the extra brightness.

Also, what's the spread like? Are they very "spotlighty"?
    are they dimmable?

also, i'd be worried about the heat off all those LED's and how it would effect the overall life of the individual LED's in the cluster in the longer term.

still a decent deal for the money though.

The whole point in led bulbs is they run very cool.

EDIT: Yera shag it. Just ordered 20 of them. Came in at €105 delivered, so €5.30 per bulb. Hope they're good now!
    Is there a guarantee with them?

The whole point in led bulbs is they run very cool.
    the whole point of decent LED bulbs is that they run very cool.

generally speaking, to get the same light output from the cheap chinese bulbs with the older type of LED as in the link above, they will run significantly hotter than the more expensive LED's like the Philips Master bulbs with just a single CREE type LED.

I had 20 of the 4w master bulbs in my old kitchen and you could leave them on all night at full power and still put the back of your hand up against the bulb without getting burnt. I doubt you could do that with using the above bulbs with that many LED's in it side by side, but i'm open to correction, which is why I was asking. ;)

Fair enough.

I wouldn't consider the ones linked as being "cheap" though. They're cheaper than what you'd pay locally, and certainly cheaper than Philips stuff. But they're not in the <€1 LED tripe bracket.

I hope anyway! ;)

the cost of them isn't cheap, but they are made using a rake of the much cheaper older style LED's rather than a single higher spec. LED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Hope they're good now! Is there a guarantee with them?

http://www.foreverlamp.eu/nl/warranty pretty useless warranty when you have to ship it to their service partner most lightly abroad. My gess is you'll be writing them off in the even of a failure.

[edit] not very promising [/edit]
    Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

info@foreverlamp.eu

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain foreverlamp.eu by filter1.nieuwenborg.nl. [217.21.240.159].

• Advertisement

the cost of them isn't cheap, but they are made using a rake of the much cheaper older style LED's rather than a single higher spec. LED.

not correct

the picture in that auction isn't correct the bulbs have SMDs on board

273523.JPG

well that changes things! :)

how hot do they run when they've been on for a while?

are they dimmable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

What are
    SMDs

What are
    google is your friend. ;)

http://led.linear1.org/surface-mount-leds/

well that changes things! :)

how hot do they run when they've been on for a while?

are they dimmable?

had them on a while yesterday and they were a bit hot (still touchable) not sure if they are dimmable as they are in my kitchen,.

• Advertisement

I'm swapping 15 regular gu10s for those eBay ones.

They're 3.5W each, so a quick bit of maths tells me that ill be able to run all 15 LED bulbs for pretty much the same price as 1 of the old ones. Should pay for themselves in no time, especially when the clocks go back in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Are a Eurosales a wholesaler only? Are they open to the public?
    Looking to pay a visit during the week.

Thanks

they're trade (i think) but i walked in off the street and they sold 20 of the phillips master bulbs to me in 2 separate batches a few weeks apart, never even asked me for a VAT number or anything.

Did you get them without the vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tomasL

Got these in Homebase yesterday -> http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=100730 <- for 13.29 per pair, very good quality, much brighter than 50w halogens.

I'm swapping 15 regular gu10s for those eBay ones.

They're 3.5W each, so a quick bit of maths tells me that ill be able to run all 15 LED bulbs for pretty much the same price as 1 of the old ones. Should pay for themselves in no time, especially when the clocks go back in a few weeks.

You won't regret it - the lights not as yellow as the halogen but they are great for the price. Package says they ate A rated so probably a few months but a saving none the less

Did you get them without the vat?
    no, they still charged VAT, so i got them for €10 each, but still the best price for the philips master bulbs.

just remember that if you're using them with a dimmer, you need to have a trailing edge dimmer for them to work (as with all dimmable LED's afaik).

we should probably merge this thread in with the LED bulbs thread in the lighting forum at this point, we've gone beyond the original OP's posts.

Yera, the thread is marked as expired, so we're grand I'd say.

Tbh, I didn't even know there was a lighting forum!

Yera, the thread is marked as expired, so we're grand I'd say.

Tbh, I didn't even know there was a lighting forum!
    my mistake, it's actually the electrical forum, but there's a couple of good LED lighting threads there where this would be more suited. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

tomasL wrote: »
    Got these in Homebase yesterday -> http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=100730 <- for 13.29 per pair, very good quality, much brighter than 50w halogens.
    Now with 15% off Sat and Sunday.
    Bought Led spot dimmable GU10 5w equiv 50w 2 pack for €13.25 today.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement