Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ibood.ie LED 5w gu10's

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Now with 15% off Sat and Sunday.
    Bought Led spot dimmable GU10 5w equiv 50w 2 pack for €13.25 today. Non dimmable were more expensive.
    that'll be these ones, pretty good value for dimmable ones: http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=176475

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Soarer wrote: »
    EDIT: Yera shag it. Just ordered 20 of them. Came in at €105 delivered, so €5.30 per bulb. Hope they're good now!
    Is there a guarantee with them?

Just got notified by ParcelMotel that my package is ready to be collected. Only ordered Friday morning. Fair quick.
    Wont get a chance to swap them out until this evening, but I'll be sure and let ye know. Will take a few before and after snaps too.

Just collected my parcel there and not very happy.

My bulbs are the same as the ones shown on eBay, and not the same as the ones Erin posted above. Boo!
    Also, there's nothing to tell me their wattage. Just plain white boxes saying GU10 60LED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Just collected my parcel there and not very happy.

My bulbs are the same as the ones shown on eBay, and not the same as the ones Erin posted above. Boo!
    Also, there's nothing to tell me their wattage. Just plain white boxes saying GU10 60LED.

:( shit buzz - post up a pic of them will you : this is the auction I got them from: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-GU10-60LED-3-5W-Energy-saving-bulbs-Warm-White-/140339132719?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

on another note I opened up all the boxes and one was missing its lense - still works have been in touch with the seller but he's slow as christmas answering queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

:( shit buzz - post up a pic of them will you : this is the auction I got them from: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-GU10-60LED-3-5W-Energy-saving-bulbs-Warm-White-/140339132719?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

on another note I opened up all the boxes and one was missing its lense - still works have been in touch with the seller but he's slow as christmas answering queries.

re:missing the lens -- are there solder pads on the face? Those are dangerous one of the pads can be live.

If you count the number of smd leds you should be able to find what wattage it supposed to be on chinese tat purveyor aliexpress.com.

Most of those are lightly to expire before the payback time. Buy cheap buy twice, or in the case of led bulbs 25-100 times.

Also worth checking your CE logo:
    http://www.ybw.com/expert-advice/vhf/news/509220/warning-don-t-get-confused-between-the-ce-mark-and-the-china-export-mark

paddyp wrote: »
    sneaky feckers! :pac:

no surprise though really given how rampant the chinese trade in knock off goods is.

That's where I got them from. Will post a pic a bit later, but they're the 60 led one in that auction pic.
    To add to my misery, the first one I tried flashed 3 or 4 times, then went out never to be brightened again. So thats one dud. The next 2 worked fine. Haven't had a chance with the rest yet.

vibe666 wrote: »
    sneaky feckers! :pac:

no surprise though really given how rampant the chinese trade in knock off goods is.

Grey market in this ****e is unreal, don't envy the customs fellas trying to keep up. CE is a bull**** scheme anyway unlike the german DIN.

I think with led the way forward is to forget about trying to cram leds, switching electronic and heatsinks into legacy formats like gu10 and go with downlighter units with proper heatsinking.

This kind of thing (not recommending these by the way):
    http://www.oneelectrical.com/2013-Leaflets/LED-COMMERCIAL-DOWNLIGHTS.pdf

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9W-3x3W-LED-Down-Light-Recessed-Ceiling-Lamp-Cool-White-Light-Bulb-Epistar-New-/331033982019?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item4d1329b443

If they really are going to last 25k hours plus then the gu10 fitting is pointless.

re:missing the lens -- are there solder pads on the face? Those are dangerous one of the pads can be live.

If you count the number of smd leds you should be able to find what wattage it supposed to be on chinese tat purveyor aliexpress.com.

Most of those are lightly to expire before the payback time. Buy cheap buy twice, or in the case of led bulbs 25-100 times.

Also worth checking your CE logo:
    http://www.ybw.com/expert-advice/vhf/news/509220/warning-don-t-get-confused-between-the-ce-mark-and-the-china-export-mark

mine has UK packaging with A rating, CE marks ,etc infact the site it links to is http://www.cit-ltd.co.uk/ - it hasn't the solder pads visible but I've no intention of using it - they weren't too cheap either sure I'll keep you posted so far so good.

this is the ones I recieved: http://www.cit-ltd.co.uk/product-eng-5106-Energy-Saving-Home-Bulb-2-5W-GU10-48-SMD-3528-LED.html

• Advertisement

That's where I got them from. Will post a pic a bit later, but they're the 60 led one in that auction pic.
    To add to my misery, the first one I tried flashed 3 or 4 times, then went out never to be brightened again. So thats one dud. The next 2 worked fine. Haven't had a chance with the rest yet.

hmmm paypal dispute I reckon!

Just looking at the ones you linked to. They're 2.5W, equivalent to 25W halogen. Mine are supposedly 3.5W, equivalent to 50W halogen. If I can find some sort of proof that that's what they actually are, I might be better off keeping them.

Edit: Now that I check their site, my bulbs aren't even on there!

No heatsink = drastically reduced lifespan.

Just looking at the ones you linked to. They're 2.5W, equivalent to 25W halogen. Mine are supposedly 3.5W, equivalent to 50W halogen. If I can find some sort of proof that that's what they actually are, I might be better off keeping them.

Edit: Now that I check their site, my bulbs aren't even on there!

sorry mine look like them - not sure it did say on the bx they wer equivelant to 30w now that I check but they are brighter then the 50s

hmmm paypal dispute I reckon!
    because he got the ones listed (and pictured) in the auction and not other ones that were sent to someone else, possibly by mistake? :confused:

if one is a dud i'm sure they will replace it. these things happen, you'll usually find sellers very accommodating with this kind of thing because they don't want bad feedback.

because he got the ones listed (and pictured) in the auction and not other ones that were sent to someone else, possibly by mistake? :confused:

if one is a dud i'm sure they will replace it. these things happen, you'll usually find sellers very accommodating with this kind of thing because they don't want bad feedback.

I'm with you on that one.

Certainly won't be taking it up with Paypal. The bulbs arrived (really fast!), and look exactly like in the picture.
    Not bothered about the one that didn't work either. I ordered 20 and only need 15, so I'm not stuck.
    The only thing I'm "concerned" about is their wattage claims. Erin's ones appear on their website, but none of the details match the details for my ones. His gave energy ratings on the box though, and mine don't.
    Is there a way of checking?

I've attached a few pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I think you would be mad to put that chinese crap into you home. The risk of fire or electrocution is not worth it. Simple as that. I am going to get them soon. But only from a trusted seller with a proper standard and branding.

The horror of one of those yokes going up in smoke with your family in the house is hard to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

So where can you buy good quality, reasonably priced and reliable gu10 leds online?

brokenarms wrote: »
    I think you would be mad to put that chinese crap into you home. The risk of fire or electrocution is not worth it. Simple as that. I am going to get them soon. But only from a trusted seller with a proper standard and branding.

The horror of one of those yokes going up in smoke with your family in the house is hard to think about.

Don't think they're "Chinese crap".
    They're not cheap. They have the CE mark. They're sold by a UK seller with over 62,000 sales and a 99.6% positive feedback. They have all the criteria you're looking for except for branding.

reni10 wrote: »
    So where can you buy good quality, reasonably priced and reliable gu10 leds online?

I'd have no problem recommending the ones I got if I could prove that they are 3.5W and 50W equivalent. They're certainly brighter than the 40W halogens I have, so that kinda points to the 50W equivalent thing.

Yeah ment dispute of they don't send on another bulb - he's sent mine over to me he claimd

• Advertisement

Another twist in the tale.

I emailed them yesterday asking what the story was, and used Erin's picture as a comparison. Just received an email from them....

Hello. I am very sorry to hear that but it seems to be our mistake.
    We've got two options:

As they are nice and bright as well, you can keep these bulbs and i will refund difference or send it back for replacement.

Please let me know
    Once again i apologise for any inconvenience caused.

So it seems I should've got the other type of bulb, but got this type instead. Now I don't know if I should send them back and get them swapped for Erin's type, or keep them and get a refund. Don't know how much the refund will be either!

@ eringobrath: You linked on page 4 that these are the ones you got. Are you sure? 'Cause they're 48 SMD, and the picture you posted showed you holding a 60 SMD bulb. Could it be you actually got these ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Euro Fred

I got my LED's from National Lighting on the Nangor Road, great output and look like normal 50w's
    http://www.ledgrouprobus.com/catalogue/l3/product?item_id=R260SGU-WW

Euro Fred wrote: »
    I got my LED's from National Lighting on the Nangor Road, great output and look like normal 50w's
    http://www.ledgrouprobus.com/catalogue/l3/product?item_id=R260SGU-WW
    from the shape of those bulbs in the picture they don't look like they'd fit in a standard size GU10 enclosure. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Euro Fred

Mine are opened back lights no problem

@ eringobrath: You linked on page 4 that these are the ones you got. Are you sure? 'Cause they're 48 SMD, and the picture you posted showed you holding a 60 SMD bulb. Could it be you actually got these ones?

Yep there the very ones

Yep there the very ones

Cool.

The seller said that you should've received my type as opposed to the other way around. So you got lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They're not cheap. They have the CE mark. They're sold by a UK seller with over 62,000 sales and a 99.6% positive feedback. They have all the criteria you're looking for except for branding.

TBH it doesn't look like they do. It has a CE mark but it doesn't match the offical one, what it appears to have is the CE mark which stands for China Export.

I look for single LED as oppose to a cluster, so they don't have all the criteria.

They have all the criteria you're looking for except for branding.

Old fashioned leds, crap driver circuitry, little or no heatsinking, no emi shielding, no stated lumens or wattage in all likelyhood fake, invalid or self certifiedfor CE.
    They're not cheap. They have the CE mark. They're sold by a UK seller with over 62,000 sales and a 99.6% positive feedback.

What you paid has no bearing on what their worth, CE mark is on everything that comes from china it is essentially meaningless, you can go to any shop in europe and find things with ce marks that were never even self certified let alone tested by a lab. If you've ever lookied into having anything manufactured in china CE certification isn't even seen as a bump let alone a hurdle.

You have 40 days to leave feedback on ebay, those bulbs will probably outlast the feedback period. They're not going to last 10000 hours.

You can get those exact bulbs with and without ce mark, rohs, ul, din whatever flavour they're targetting all over ebay for under 2 euro at that price you might break even. Those have practically zero heatsinking, inefficient leds meaning you'll be dissipating around 60% as heat leading to high temperatures - especially in a fire rated fitting- and short life.

For me.
    This is a mine field as far as chinese goes.
    I once seen a watch dog program on their electrical exports. The program was about nintendo game console power adaptors and RCD trip switches . A child was electrocuted and died with a product that looked identical to the official one. Fake stamps. Other examples showed house fires from products that where only identical skin deep. Crude, unsafe and badly made inside.
    No offence Sourer. Im sure yours are fine.
    These types of bulbs could go on fire in between the ceiling and the second floor. No chance of putting it out in time.

Im going to spend a fair bit more and go for the Philips branded ones. I think its worth the piece of mind. There must be deals on them somewhere.

You have 40 days to leave feedback on ebay, those bulbs will probably outlast the feedback period. They're not going to last 10000 hours.

There's another Boardie that's posted in this thread, and he's been running these exact bulbs, from the same seller, for over 3 years and has yet to have an issue. Maybe he's the exception rather than the rule?
    Those have practically zero heatsinking, inefficient leds meaning you'll be dissipating around 60% as heat leading to high temperatures - especially in a fire rated fitting- and short life.

I had them running for an hour last night and was able to hold my hand against without ending up in a&e. They weren't cold, but slightly warm. By no means hot. Again, maybe the exception rather than the rule?

A girl in the office here bought a Luminex (maybe?) branded bulb locally for €8.50 from a reputable electrical retailer. Apart from the shiney box, and the Luminex stamp on the bulb, they're identical. Same marking on the base of the bulb, same "CE" stamp, same voltage, neither have wattage stated. Is her's also "Chinese crap" or is it good quality because some company bought millions from a Chinese factory, put their stamp on it, and packaged it in a fancy box?

• Advertisement

For me.
    This is a mine field as far as chinese goes.
    I once seen a watch dog program on their electrical exports. The program was about nintendo game console power adaptors and RCD trip switches . A child was electrocuted and died with a product that looked identical to the official one. Fake stamps. Other examples showed house fires from products that where only identical skin deep. Crude, unsafe and badly made inside.
    No offence Sourer. Im sure yours are fine.

Thanks for that! ;)
    These types of bulbs could go on fire in between the ceiling and the second floor. No chance of putting it out in time.

I'll sleep well tonight now! ;)

More seriously though, why are these more likely to go on fire than a 50W halogen? At the heat the halogens run at, I'd have thought they're more likely to ignite?
    Im going to spend a fair bit more and go for the Philips branded ones. I think its worth the piece of mind. There must be deals on them somewhere.

I wish there was a discount on the Philips stuff. You're looking at ~ €10.50 inc. VAT per bulb for the Philips stuff. I just couldn't justify paying ~ €160 on bulbs. Mine cost half that. If I could've gotten the Philips ones for anything close to €100, I'd have jumped at it.

Maybe I'll regret it, I don't know. But if the bulbs I got do what they're supposed to, last a few years, and only consume 3.5W along the way I'lll be happy.

http://www.misco.ie/product/209956/Integral-LED-GU10-4W-3000K-250lm-Non-Dimmable

http://www.integral-led.com/products/lamps/gu10-par16-4w-35w-3000k-250lm-non-dimmable-lamp

€5.84
    3 year warranty
    diecast heatsink
    everlight leds
    250 lumens
    all specs online
    integral memory company is around 25 years

I'm not here to argue or upset you soarer, I just think people money would be better spent elsewhere. This is bargain alerts I don't think these bulbs are a bargain. There is no data about the bulbs that you got and their design weighs against them.
    I had them running for an hour last night and was able to hold my hand against without ending up in a&e.

Its the junction temperature of the led - which will be far higher that the temperature of the bulb - and the temperature if the electronics inside that will shorten the lifespan. Remember led lamps are supposed to last 25000 hours.

http://www.digikey.com/us/en/techzone/lighting/resources/articles/calculating-led-junction-temperature.html

The integral ones could turn out to be crap down the line too but the odds are in their favour. Philips aren't the be all either my brothers had two 4w masterleds fail and a third drop an led in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Soarar,

have a look at the lonk, seems theres an issue with lots of Generic Gu10s that you think are great.

http://www.armadilloled.com/News/Check-Before-you-buy!-LED-GU10-Products-Recall-in-EU_57.htm

http://www.misco.ie/product/209956/Integral-LED-GU10-4W-3000K-250lm-Non-Dimmable

http://www.integral-led.com/products/lamps/gu10-par16-4w-35w-3000k-250lm-non-dimmable-lamp

€5.84
    3 year warranty
    diecast heatsink
    everlight leds
    250 lumens
    all specs online
    integral memory company is around 25 years

I'm not here to argue or upset you soarer, I just think people money would be better spent elsewhere. This is bargain alerts I don't think these bulbs are a bargain. There is no data about the bulbs that you got and their design weighs against them.

No upset on this side. And I don't mind an argument! ;)

The 15 bulbs cost me around €80. I've plenty of other things I could've spent that money on, but the longer I left the halogen in, the more they're costing me. I guess, maybe naively, I want these bulbs to do "exactly what it says on the tin"...even though technically it doesn't say anything on the tin!
    I don't mind being wrong, and tbh if I'd seen those ones in Misco earlier I'd probably have ordered them, but the fact "my" bulbs are being poo-poo'd without evidence has irked me a small bit. The seller has 10,000's of sales with a near perfect reputation. I'd like to think the system isn't that badly flawed that he'd be getting away with selling muck.

You have got me thinking about sending back mine (under distance selling regs) and ordering something else.
    ted1 wrote: »
    Soarar,

have a look at the lonk, seems theres an issue with lots of Generic Gu10s that you think are great.

http://www.armadilloled.com/News/Check-Before-you-buy!-LED-GU10-Products-Recall-in-EU_57.htm

I don't "think they're great". I'm new to this whole LED thing. I just think that people are tarring all the "cheap" bulbs with the same brush. Maybe the odds of being good are against "my" bulbs, but the only other person I know that has them is running them for 3 years without issue.

BTW, that link you posted shows more problems with branded bulbs than unbranded ones! ;)

Just to add if anyone is ordering from misco, up to 10 bulbs is €1.99 postage but over that is €14.99 postage to makes sense to split the order.

To be honest I prefer the construction of the more expensive ones with the finned heatsink and the cree leds but the beam is a little narrow depending on your application.
    http://www.misco.ie/product/209952/Integral-LED-GU10-5W-2700K-250lm-Non-Dimmable
    http://www.misco.ie/product/209953/Integral-LED-GU10-5W-2700K-250lm-Dimmable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

To paddyp or anybody else with knowledge of the area, what is your opinion of these from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006UR5IUY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d1_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0VA9712EECSSXF306MJJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=429454147&pf_rd_i=468294

They seem to have good reviews on the site. I have four installed on a corridor for about two weeks now and IMO they are as bright as the 60W halogen they replaced. The light at 3000K is slightly whiter though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Ikea = €5 for gu10.

Go for thr 4w 200lm as they are the new version.

Beware some gu10 led won't fit some gu10 fittings.

LED light technology has moved hugey in past 2 years - still a lot of utter crap on the market that many are trying to shift.

A good electrical wholesalers such as kellihers or Eurosales etc (all open to public and you can haggle on volume) will also be a good option as mostly they have good reputation - though make sure you get warm white for domestic use.

Picked up one of the €7.99 320lm gu10s in aldi today for a look, bulb is from muller licht in germany, http://www.mueller-licht.de/ made in china (of course), its ont on their gu10 page but is on the list here: http://www.mueller-licht.de/service/marken

Color temperature is 3000k, 40 degree beam. Light output is impressive, subjectively more than a 35w xenon although the angle is very tight to the 40 deg. so light is more concentrated..

Looks to be the same as this one: http://www.amazon.de/Lighting-EVER-Leuchtmittel-Gleichwertig-Einbauleuchten/dp/B008OCAST4/ref=sr_1_3?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1381194155&sr=1-3&keywords=gu10+led

Overall a decent bulb but with brand names for about 20% more value is debatable.

• Advertisement

Sage continues -Well I got my replacement bulb and it was the LED cluster that soarer got - guy seems abit of a joke TBH but happy with the SMD lights anyway

I'm gonna bookend my saga.

Tested 9 of the 60LED bulbs, one failed completely and one had 7 leds gone. That's a failure rate of over 20%, which is too high for my liking. Contacted yer man to tell him I'm returning them, and he offered to swap them all for the SMD ones that eringobragh got. Told him I wasn't interested and I wasreturning them for a full refund.*
    In the meantime, I decided to bite the bullet and using Amazon as a rpicematch, got LEDVista in Waterford to sell me 15no. Philips 5-50W CorePro GU10 Single LED bulbs. They came in at €11.99 each including overnight courier to Cork. It was more than I was willing to spend (probably double if I'm honest!), but I've definitely made the right choice.

The "cheap" ones gave off a weird light. Certainly wasn't warm like the halogen, and I found myself seeing little strobe/rainbow/colours whenever moving my eyes. Very hard to explain, but something I was very conscious of. Herself couldn't stand the light. Even though I didn't tell her I'd changed the bulbs, she noticed straight away.

After SWMBO went to bed last night, I swapped our halogen for the new Philips ones and even though it was late, they looked near identical to what they'd replaced. Big test came this morning when Mrs. S got up. Didn't notice a thing, so we're good to go!

Much happier with my choice.

* - It cost yer man £3.50 to send my bulbs "signed for" via Royal Mail. It cost me €10.75 to send them back to him via regular post! Adding that to the Philips bulbs being £8.79 each on Amazon and €22.50 each in my local supplier, I've drawn the conclusion that we're being screwed left, right, and centre!

* - It cost yer man £3.50 to send my bulbs "signed for" via Royal Mail. It cost me €10.75 to send them back to him via regular post! Adding that to the Philips bulbs being £8.79 each on Amazon and €22.50 each in my local supplier, I've drawn the conclusion that we're being screwed left, right, and centre!

€22.50 is nuts money for a few hundred lumens. To be fair to your local supplier a lot of the supply chains in Ireland are via the UK where there re long standing 'UK & Ireland' distributor agreements with the manufacturers. The distributors will whack on their arbitrary percentage and often especially when exchange rate is favourable will just pass on your order to a supplier in europe so you get screwed in the currency conversion twice. Its a fecking scam but there you go.

€22.50 is nuts money for a few hundred lumens. To be fair to your local supplier a lot of the supply chains in Ireland are via the UK where there re long standing 'UK & Ireland' distributor agreements with the manufacturers. The distributors will whack on their arbitrary percentage and often especially when exchange rate is favourable will just pass on your order to a supplier in europe so you get screwed in the currency conversion twice. Its a fecking scam but there you go.

Peter (LEDVista) actually rang Philips Ireland after I showed him the Amazon price, and it turned out Philips UK had reduced their prices...maybe due to DIM2?
    Anyways, Philips Ireland then reduced their price to him, which allowed him to reduce his price to me. I don't blame the local supplier in the slightest. They're obviously under the thumb of Philips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Just got email from this crowd : http://www.ledhut.co.uk/

Dunno how they got my email...anyhoo - anyone know anything about them ?

I just received these 3 days ago. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B008VS90EK/ref=ox_ya_os_product

After reading this thread I cancelled the order and got a refund.

Plus They told it would over a month before I got them as they where from China.

Now they have arrived im not sure what to do. Im not paying for shipping back to China as I cancelled. Im fairly sure they are not worth the postage twice over for them.

So I got the bulbs and my money back.

Every one is perfect and is a bright as the 50w hals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The electrical forum has a sticky on LED lighting:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056469034

As the original BA is well over at this stage I think its better to use the above thread for an ongoing basis, thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement