Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring Irish Licence to Australian Licence

Options
  • 20-09-2013 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey guys, I’m currently going for my PR, once/if I get it I willhave to transfer my Irish licence to a NSW Australian Licence as I live in Sydney.I currently hold an Irish Artic truck full licence. I want to know when I changeit will I have an artic NSW licence or do I have to re do the artic driverslicence out here? Or is there any way around this, as I don’t want to have tore do it.!! any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You can avoid the theory and practical tests only when exchanging a foreign licence for an NSW car licence.

If you are getting an NSW licence for any other class of vehicle, by exchanging your foreign licence you can avoid things like the obligatory probationary period, but you will have to sit and pass the theoretical and practical tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 john.co

Haven't dealt with NSW licences myself but there's lots of information here regarding international drivers etc:
    http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/licensing/newtonsw/international_drivers.html

Regarding licences for vehicles other than cars/motorbikes - I'd take a look at the very last point on this page:
    http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/licensing/newtonsw/recognisedcountries.html

"If you hold a licence from a recognised country and you are applying for a class of licence other than a NSW car or rider licence, you must sit and pass both a knowledge test and a practical driving test."
    [Ireland is considered a recognised country]

Someone who has personal experience of this might be able to help you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

I've done this but in WA.

I was able to go straight to the HC licence instead of having to a HR first and then waiting a year but I had to sit my test again.

There is also the matter of doing it in either an auto, syncro or crash 'box. I did it in a crash box, got it out of the way so I could do the road train in the future in an auto.

You also get a bus licence if you ever do go back home

• Registered Users Posts: 10 paulshan

Cheers guys thanks for the info. much appreciated.

Advertisement