Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax reforms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

There's a lot of "big" engined cars sitting in forecourts and sitting in peoples' driveways due to the huge tax rate on them. If the rate was reduced, people might then be in a better position to buy them. That would bring in quite a sum of money regardless of the fact that the rate has been reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

There's a lot of "big" engined cars sitting in forecourts and sitting in peoples' driveways due to the huge tax rate on them. If the rate was reduced, people might then be in a better position to buy them. That would bring in quite a sum of money regardless of the fact that the rate has been reduced.

I know it is self biased as I own one (soon to be two) large engined cars, but I think motor tax should be capped at 1000-1200. I mean the top rate in the UK (including NI) is half that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

^
    |
    |
    This. :(

I have 4.2 liters worth of twin-turboed goodness sitting in storage for the best part of 2 years now.
    That's 2 year's worth of motor tax, insurance levies, and vat & excise duty on fuel that the Minister for Finance DIDN'T get from me.

The motor tax is the single biggest sticking point.
    €5/day whether it moves or not is simply unsustainable.

If the annual tax was to dip into a 3 figure sum, that car would be on the road, generating revenue.

Rovi wrote: »
    ^
    I have 4.2 liters worth of twin-turboed goodness sitting in storage .....

4.2 twin turbo? Do tell what she is :D

Im guessing something from the vag stable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

'03 RS6 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,888 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd agree with a 'pay as you use' system, but it'll never happen:

- Fuel will be much cheaper in the North so there'll be widespread cross-border purchasing and smuggling.

- Most importantly, rural politicians and voters will kick up hell over it. 'It's all right for them b***ards up in Dublin who can walk to the shops', etc. etc. Of course if you choose to live in a one-off house where you have to drive ten miles to buy a carton of milk, that's a choice - and not a very sustainable one.

- If/when electric vehicles become more popular, they'll be paying nothing at all for the roads they use. Like the CO2 tax bands, the Greens didn't think through the implications of the policies they supported, muppets :rolleyes:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

ninja900 wrote: »
    I'd agree with a 'pay as you use' system, but it'll never happen:

- Fuel will be much cheaper in the North so there'll be widespread cross-border purchasing and smuggling.

- Most importantly, rural politicians and voters will kick up hell over it. 'It's all right for them b***ards up in Dublin who can walk to the shops', etc. etc. Of course if you choose to live in a one-off house where you have to drive ten miles to buy a carton of milk, that's a choice - and not a very sustainable one.

- If/when electric vehicles become more popular, they'll be paying nothing at all for the roads they use. Like the CO2 tax bands, the Greens didn't think through the implications of the policies they supported, muppets :rolleyes:

Once EVs (if they do) become more widely used, you can bet your last dollar that they will be heavily taxed too.
    We cant just give up the massive income from motor tax on EV's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

How much could you expect as a levy on fuel if that were to come in?
    As I do 50,000 miles privately annually it terrifies me. Just for it to equal my current €1494 it would be roughly 30c a litre.

I know it would be more than this though :(
    Like if it was 50c I'd be better off with a helicopter!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

YbFocus wrote: »
    How much could you expect as a levy on fuel if that were to come in?

I've done a few sums, I've seen a few sums. Iirc we're talking about 30-35c/l

But that was before the green imbeciles persuaded the government to go the CO2 path (and motor tax revenues are now less than half of what they used to be because of the clowns that should never have been allowed to play senior hurling...

At the current take, my guess (based on no calculations whatsoever) would be more like 20c/l
    As I do 50,000 miles privately annually

Pay up you dirty polluter! :pac:

Yes I account for 13% if the world's carbon emissions every year :pac:
    20c would be great and would only see me paying 1k for tax!
    35c and that's 2.5k :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Lads I drive a 2.5 and am looking to potentially have a bigger engine in my next car, but Iv said it before and Ill say it again, we are CHOOSING to drive the bigger engine cars and screw ourselves... Of course I think the rates are disgraceful, Im not for one second suggesting their not...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Lads I drive a 2.5 and am looking to potentially have a bigger engine in my next car, but Iv said it before and Ill say it again, we are CHOOSING to drive the bigger engine cars and screw ourselves... Of course I think the rates are disgraceful, Im not for one second suggesting their not...

I chose to pay a high rate when I bought my current car before the tax increase last year. I chose to pay that rate but I didn't choose to pay the rate it went to when I had to renew the tax in February.

The highest rates are already too damn high, why not increase just the CO2 rates as they are feck all anyway? There's not many people buying cars that fall into the €2100+ CO2 rate so they're losing out very much in that bracket.

As has often been said, you only get cheap tax if you can afford a new car. If you can't afford it, you're going to be paying the old rate. My car is a 2007 and is €1494 to tax. On the CO2 system (with the exact same N54 engine) it's €750. If I could afford one a year newer, I'd be paying half what I'm paying.

Now here's a joke - in the UK, my car is £225 a year to tax, as is a bloody Ferrari Enzo :pac:

Why should the Government care if people want to drive big engined cars ?

You see it's all about image and that's all Ireland and the Government care about. See we're seen to be more environmentally friendly by taxing higher polluting Co2 cars as the ignorant muppets see.

The Government are so misinformed they actually think and believe Co2 is a pollutant, it is not. In fact the other emissions that come from exhaust are actually toxic and harmful to our health and atmosphere, Co2 isn't.

Worst of all is they promote the most polluting of fuel available apart from Coal and that's diesel !

I've to pay 500 a year on one of the lowest harmful emissions cars available while people drive around town in their soot box diesels causing much more air pollution and harm to health paying as low as 120 Euro's !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

As has often been said, you only get cheap tax if you can afford a new car. If you can't afford it, you're going to be paying the old rate. My car is a 2007 and is €1494 to tax. On the CO2 system (with the exact same N54 engine) it's €750. If I could afford one a year newer, I'd be paying half what I'm paying.

Now here's a joke - in the UK, my car is £225 a year to tax, as is a bloody Ferrari Enzo

yeah but motor tax is near a sure bet every year for an increase, at least it is now with the "austerity" budgets. Also you dont need a new car to benefit from the the Co2 rates, an 08 will do, which is 5 years old and about to go 6, I have no doubt most on the CC based rates can afford a cheap 08 based on the emissions, it probably wont be a car you want to drive though. Also I have same predicament, with the tax for next car, reality is though, yeah you might be saving E750 on motor tax on the emissions based car, but that benefit is well and truly priced into the asking price of the 08+ emissions based car...

I agree with your comment on the Co2 rates by the way, the vast majority of cars on the Co2 rates are paying SFA...

There is no need for such high tax rates anyway, I pay 500 a year on the Prius, that is far too much.

I accept taxes on a small Island with a tiny population will always be extreme but there is property tax and water charges going to add probably a lot more than motor tax, so I don't think the government care so much about motor tax these days. We're going to be paying a lot more anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

There is no need for such high tax rates anyway, I pay 500 a year on the Prius, that is far too much.

I accept taxes on a small Island with a tiny population will always be extreme but there is property tax and water charges going to add probably a lot more than motor tax, so I don't think the government care so much about motor tax these days. We're going to be paying a lot more anyway.

My total tax bill will soon be over 2k per annum, more depending on the next budget. Insane amount of money - motorists really pay through the nose in this country compared to our nearist neighbors.

I thought the tax would be much higher considering the engine in the big 'Merican diesel your getting?

I thought the tax would be much higher considering the engine in the big 'Merican diesel your getting?

Commercial - 333 p/a :D

I mean, I don't know what you are talking about :P

Ah maxi baby :D we always knew it (fairly well) that it was you ;)

Why the change?

Ah maxi baby :D we always knew it (fairly well) that it was you ;)

Why the change?

I'm sure there was some doubt creeping in.

Well, just fancied a change. So, today is a new dawn for the poster formerly known as max power!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Max, aren't multiple accounts forbidden? :D

Cool man, No Sobanek not if you close one legally and open another. That's what I read this morning anyway :)
    No need for the welcome brigade to be sent out so E60 :)

Should have known E60 535D ! tut tut, :P

As long as it never changes to Prius MkIII :cool:

I'm only pulling your leg Mad :) This thread has in fairness brought me around to them a bit, not to ownership, but appreciation of that they can achieve.

Edit: Sorry the Prius thread

Why should the Government care if people want to drive big engined cars ?

You see it's all about image and that's all Ireland and the Government care about. See we're seen to be more environmentally friendly by taxing higher polluting Co2 cars as the ignorant muppets see.

The Government are so misinformed they actually think and believe Co2 is a pollutant, it is not. In fact the other emissions that come from exhaust are actually toxic and harmful to our health and atmosphere, Co2 isn't.

Worst of all is they promote the most polluting of fuel available apart from Coal and that's diesel !

I've to pay 500 a year on one of the lowest harmful emissions cars available while people drive around town in their soot box diesels causing much more air pollution and harm to health paying as low as 120 Euro's !

Very true. In Norway they are contemplating banning Diesel cars they emit about 70 times more of the harmful NO2 molecule than gasoline cars.

If it was about the health implications the govt would be acting on it.

http://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/3129-norway-may-ban-diesel-cars

• Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Shurre my old account had 1500 or so posts and I forget its details last year randomly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Didn't Varadkar already say they will never put motor tax onto fuel?

Elessar wrote: »
    Didn't Varadkar already say they will never put motor tax onto fuel?
    Now that is progressive government if so!

cisk wrote: »
    Very true. In Norway they are contemplating banning Diesel cars they emit about 70 times more of the harmful NO2 molecule than gasoline cars.

If it was about the health implications the govt would be acting on it.

http://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/3129-norway-may-ban-diesel-cars

I was interested in the link until the mention of global warming.

You see they couldn't be seen to not think global warming, or how shall I put it, Anthropogenic, i.e man made warming is not an issue, so they had to get it in there.

While I doubt Anthropogenic warming, I don't deny there was warming, but I absolutely doubt man was the cause of it. I do not in any way doubt the pollution issues with the extraction or fossil fuels. But again, Co2 is NOT a pollutant. Try live on earth without it.

While the warming sheep call me a denier and spout the majority of the worlds scientists agree that Co2 is the cause, and man. However very few will actually admit to it in public so people should not forget this !

• Advertisement

Exactly mad, we're due this to happen as it happens every however many years. Heard/Read that somewhere before and it makes sense really, just the earth doing its thing :)

Advertisement