Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax reforms

Options

Comments

I can't see the harm when it's on common ground. But not when it's private property. Most farmers I know would be against it.

Anyway sorry for derailing the thread.
    Let's just hope they don't increase cc tax anymore:)

Electric car tax should be increased though :)

No I'm not talking the farmers back yard for heavens sake. There is plenty of land close to ditches and hedges, miles form the house.

They can increase taxes on electrics all they want.

I would pay 500 a year road tax on an ev when saving 2000 a year over 20,000 miles in petrol in a 60 mpg car.

They can use it to go towards fast charger installation.

I would however be in favour of 3 litre tax brought down to €500-700 a year on condition it's converted to LPG. Anything to eliminate diesel exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

No I'm not talking the farmers back yard for heavens sake. There is plenty of land close to ditches and hedges, miles form the house.

They can increase taxes on electrics all they want.

I would pay 500 a year road tax on an ev when saving 2000 a year over 20,000 miles in petrol in a 60 mpg car.

They can use it to go towards fast charger installation.

I would however be in favour of 3 litre tax brought down to €500-700 a year on condition it's converted to LPG. Anything to eliminate diesel exhaust.

Once people are allowed onto the land they will wander where they want if they want to. Not all will of course but some will use it as an excuse to.

The LPG idea is a good one.
    I was joking about the EV tax increase, it would be pointless at the moment.

Once people are allowed onto the land they will wander where they want if they want to. Not all will of course but some will use it as an excuse to.

I don't agree, people can easily wonder on to land form a country road, but they can't be arsed. Or if they do they're going for a walk.
    The LPG idea is a good one.
    I was joking about the EV tax increase, it would be pointless at the moment.

Well 500 a year might be a bit excessive because the idea is to get people into electrics, If I had an e.v I'd be willing to pay a lot more for a decent fast charge network.

But paying 1800 a year for a 10 year old 3.0L is complete insanity, it doesn't bring in income because most people won't have a 3.0L.

Likewise us paying 710 a year for a 13 year old CRV is madness. In the U.K that would cost 250 euro's a year.

I don't agree, people can easily wonder on to land form a country road, but they can't be arsed. Or if they do they're going for a walk.

Well 500 a year might be a bit excessive because the idea is to get people into electrics, If I had an e.v I'd be willing to pay a lot more for a decent fast charge network.

But paying 1800 a year for a 10 year old 3.0L is complete insanity, it doesn't bring in income because most people won't have a 3.0L.

Likewise us paying 710 a year for a 13 year old CRV is madness. In the U.K that would cost 250 euro's a year.

Your completely missing the point. If people can walk on my land I cant tell them to **** off. More and more will be walking. People don't do it now because it's private property.
    Who will pay for all of this tracks?

Your completely missing the point. If people can walk on my land I cant tell them to **** off. More and more will be walking. People don't do it now because it's private property.

If there are cycle tracks/trails and people are only allowed on the tracks most people will obey, you can still go out on your quad with rifle and shotgun if they disobey that rule.

However I would say most people would only be too delighted to be able to use proper cycle trails than share bad quality back roads with traffic and wouldn't bother crossing farm land. I doubt there will be more people straying onto farm land than there is now, unless of course it's got a view that the cycle lane doesn't go on.

Who'll pay ? well that goes back to the discussion about the high Deutsch taxes and how some of it can be put to good use.

Dublin also needs an underground and what employment that and cycle lanes would generate !

I got it all worked out ! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I'm one of the them harping on about it, I'm not saying its right, I'm saying its naive to expect anything else, I mean come on, government rakes in tens of millions extra through motor tax hike or cuts OAP by a few quid a week... one will have serious backlash, the other will have none, which one would you pick?

My point is we (the CC based motorists) did not benefit from any cheap car tax when the CO2 system came into force. It was badly planned, and they (the govt of the day) knew that it would reduce tax take, It simply was not feasible over time.

Now everyone is paying back into the pot because of a stupidly low Co2 rate of tax (to begin with) to allow Mr. Car Dealer sell a few new cars. I dont begrudge car dealers some business but, come on, Co2 tax rate, scrap scheme, and now 131/132 reg plates, how about just deal with the actual f*n problem and scrap VRT making it a level playing field and putting cars into a reasonable price zone.

</Rant>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Are you a farmer Comedian? Because if you are you're one of the bad 'uns!

Jesus. wrote: »
    Are you a farmer Comedian? Because if you are you're one of the bad 'uns!

Yes, and why am I a bad un?
    Because I don't want strangers coming in on private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

No but because you bought a 4WD audi TT so you could drive around the fields and look cool :P

No but because you bought a 4WD audi TT so you could drive around the fields and look cool :P

Ha, I should have really put a hitch on that when I had it
    :)

• Advertisement

If there are cycle tracks/trails and people are only allowed on the tracks most people will obey, you can still go out on your quad with rifle and shotgun if they disobey that rule.

However I would say most people would only be too delighted to be able to use proper cycle trails than share bad quality back roads with traffic and wouldn't bother crossing farm land. I doubt there will be more people straying onto farm land than there is now, unless of course it's got a view that the cycle lane doesn't go on.

Who'll pay ? well that goes back to the discussion about the high Deutsch taxes and how some of it can be put to good use.

Dublin also needs an underground and what employment that and cycle lanes would generate !

I got it all worked out ! ;)

I'd by all for proper cycle lanes, but I don't see why people should have access to farmland.

Unfortunately I don't own a quad and a gun. But I could see a new form of entertainment there.

On the tax, I don't think I could take another increase. I dropped down from the 3.0+ to 2.9 because of this.

Yes.

Thankfully most farmers I've met wouldn't have a problem with someone walking along the edge of their fields.

Don't be such a sour bollox. You only live the once :)

I'd by all for proper cycle lanes, but I don't see why people should have access to farmland.

Ah don't be such a miserable git, farmers have plenty of land to spare for a measly cycle path.

Just because they are on the "land" doesn't mean they are going to raid your house FFS ! ;)

You say property, but I'm not talking about your back yard. ;)

And as I said, could be a good little earner in summer for a lot of farmers offering food and a place to kip for the night.

So if someone was walking in one of your fields minding their own business not trampling through crops or trying to shag sheep you would go after them and tell them to get out ?

So if someone was walking in one of your fields minding their own business not trampling through crops or trying to shag sheep you would go after them and tell them to get out ?

That's the mentality it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Yes.

Thankfully most farmers I've met wouldn't have a problem with someone walking along the edge of their fields.

If a farmer says your more than welcome to go for a stroll on his land that's fine.
    I don't know comedian but if I knew him got on well with him etc, he might have no problem with me being allowed in on his land.
    My neighbour allows me to walk the dog and pick the Bramley apples on one of his apple trees (the mother bakes him pies in return) but although he doesn't use the land, or the apples himself, I wouldn't go on the land without his permission or if I didn't know him.

What was proposed was permission to go on farmland.
    Treks and trails etc. I don't think too many farmers would have any problem with so long as they were
    A ) compensated
    And
    B) done in an organised and structured way
    C) not people walking in around their farms.

Most farmers wouldn't have a problem so long as their was no people damaging their lands etc.

Scortho wrote: »
    If a farmer says your more than welcome to go for a stroll on his land that's fine.
    I don't know comedian but if I knew him got on well with him etc, he might have no problem with me being allowed in on his land.
    My neighbour allows me to walk the dog and pick the Bramley apples on one of his apple trees (the mother bakes him pies in return) but although he doesn't use the land, or the apples himself, I wouldn't go on the land without his permission or if I didn't know him.

Treks and trails etc. I don't think too many farmers would have any problem with so long as they were
    A ) compensated
    And

Most farmers wouldn't have a problem so long as their was no people damaging their lands etc.

I'd have no problem with someone asking, we let one person bring their hounds on our land, even with sheep in the land. But we know him and he is careful with the dogs.
    Some people have no respect and think they can go anywhere. I'm talking about the minority here but that's all it takes to cause a huge problem.

Maybe if we had tillage and not livestock my thoughts would be different.

Yes.

Again there probably wouldn't be any problem if we knew you were there.

Ah don't be such a miserable git, farmers have plenty of land to spare for a measly cycle path.

Just because they are on the "land" doesn't mean they are going to raid your house FFS ! ;)

You say property, but I'm not talking about your back yard. ;)

And as I said, could be a good little earner in summer for a lot of farmers offering food and a place to kip for the night.

Sorry madlad but there is no way you're a farmer. It's not just the house, it's the yard, animals, equipment in sheds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Sorry madlad but there is no way you're a farmer. It's not just the house, it's the yard, animals, equipment in sheds.

And if a child gets attacked by an animal due to their negligent parent, it'd leave you in some awkward state.

• Advertisement

And if a child gets attacked by an animal due to their negligent parent, it'd leave you in some awkward state.

Yea that's another worry. Farms with bulls on them would be another.
    The idea of trails near mountains or lakes I can see the point to. But to have the right to walk into any farmland, I just couldn't agree with.
    Insurance would probably increase.

If the farmer wants to. Though I would be watching them to see what they're at. If they came into with dogs we would ask them what they're doing or depending on the time of year, to leave.

A ) compensated
    And

It's always the same with farmers, everything comes down to money ! :rolleyes:

I would certainly not compensate farmers, they have enough land and surely there could be agreement as to what land could be used that's the least disruptive.

Again I'm not talking about trails to the farmyard, jaysus.

The cost of paying farmers millions for land and laying proper cycle tracks with a proper surface would make the project prohibitive, as I said the farmers could use their brains and set up cafes and a place to kip for the night on trails in the sticks, a place to charge the leccy bike battery. ;)

The cost to build these cycle lanes would be in the multiple millions but it could generate millions in tourism because a lot of people want to cycle around Ireland but it's too dangerous on the crap roads and it is a turn off to tourists.

They also need to build proper town and city cycle lanes, those Dublin cycle lanes are a complete joke and a typical half assed Irish way of doing things.

An example of a typical half arsed Irish way of doing things, Drive through Carlow Town past the I.T and they made a wonderful cycle lane on the old N9 Kilkenny road, they divided the hard shoulder with a line of paint ! FFS ! only in Ireland. :D

In the end many jobs could be created, and we could also build an underground for Dublin and a link to the airport.

Cost ? multiple billions sure, what the money for the bank bailout could have done ?

We could be paying the bank bailout for 50 years, so why not borrow for 100 years and get a decent infrastructure going ? and while we're at it link the motorways, build a decent motorway to Mayo and Donegal and to Kerry.

The country will not get moving again without money, that means borrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

Cost ? multiple billions sure, what the money for the bank bailout could have done ?

The country will not get moving again without money, that means borrowing.

I find it very interesting just how many banks were "bailed-out" in the last few years around the world.... Makes one wonder.

I'd love to start a business that, if wasn't working out/failing, I could demand the govt give me tax payer money! OMG the possibilities!!!!!

Comedian doesn't sound too bad a'tall actually. All he seems to be saying is to respect the fact that its his property.

Look, if a farmer doesn't want someone on his land then its not up for discussion. Its his property and the law's the law. End of. However, I can't see why any decent aul skin would have a problem with some bloke doing no harm a'tall and just taking a stroll along by the edge of his fields. Sure life is too short to be acting the maggot in that regard.

Madlad's proposals would need to be looked at by farmers and council's alike and I think he's right in that a forward-thinking group of farmers could make hay with something like this (pardon the pun) and come up with a few little ideas that could be beneficial to their farms whilst making a couple of bob and all the while giving the gift of allowing people enjoy the Countryside and a bit of nature - provided they are respectful of the people allowing them the use of such a trail.

Everyone could be a winner

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Lads, can we get this back on topic and away from farmland and cycle lanes.

Anyone can raid a farm if they want, cycle paths are not going to mean there will be a sudden increase in break ins.

What will people do ? attack a trailer to a bicycle and go robbing farms ? perhaps milking equipment goes for a good price these days ? :pac:

Lads, can we get this back on topic and away from farmland and cycle lanes.

Right so Boss ! :P

Motor tax on fuel................. Eah ?

I need 1450 litres of petrol @62 imp mpg for an average of 20,000 miles a year costing an average of 2,291 Euro's. average 1 euro 58c per litre, Could be more miles but say 20K miles.

I pay 500 euro's for tax on the Prius.

To make up that shortfall my fuel would have to cost 2791. Costing 1.94 at the pump.

Question is, if the Government must meet the shortfall that means I cover the miles to pay back, but how do you make the lower mileage driver pay ?

If you put the cost of fuel over the 2 Euro barrier then I'm paying a lot more.

Those who drive 3.0L engines , well the Government know you'll most likely not be covering 20K miles a year with the cost to fill up so how do you meet the shortfall for the 1800 Euro's per year motor tax ?

The Idea is the Government get money if the car drives or not, this works in their favour, if they put the cost onto the fuel I think it will just make people find alternative forms of transport.

The cost of motoring is already far too high.

Anyone can raid a farm if they want, cycle paths are not going to mean there will be a sudden increase in break ins.

What will people do ? attack a trailer to a bicycle and go robbing farms ? perhaps milking equipment goes for a good price these days ? :pac:

It just makes it easier to see what's around the farm.
    A car trailer can be worth over 3-4000. I'm not 100% sure but milking equipment goes well into the thousands :)

But back to the tax, I cant see them doing us any favours. which is a shame as it would increase sales on older large engine cars.
    It would make it easier to have a weekend car also.

• Advertisement

It just makes it easier to see what's around the farm.
    A car trailer can be worth over 3-4000. I'm not 100% sure but milking equipment goes well into the thousands :)

But back to the tax, I cant see them doing us any favours. which is a shame as it would increase sales on older large engine cars.
    It would make it easier to have a weekend car also.

The Government won't reduce tax on big CC engines, they want rid of old cars and the only way to do that is increase taxes.

Advertisement