Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.2 TSI vs. 1.6TDI - cost of running

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Neither Id pick up a 4 year old golf or passat 2.0 140bhp diesel. Then you have the best of all worlds. Power and economy. The depreciation is very low also at this point . If it starts getting unreliable just sell it to a willing crowd. Sell it anyway after a year or two. Ive driven a new 1.6tdi and it was underwhelming although a smooth engine. The 2l diesel is just so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Ha, bit harsh Nox!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Ha, bit harsh Nox!

Indeed, but there is a point to new cars. Some people chop and change every 2 years as they want to drive something 'clean'. Many dont want to sit on seats sat on by other people picking their noses etc.
    I dont really buy into any of that BS so I will be keeping my money for something better but you have to respect other peoples decisions as its their money.
    An old CLS would be better by far than a new golf but its horses for courses.
    New cars have a point in the UK where the deals on finance are exceptionally good with heavily discounted prices and financing ,if you have it then its viable. Here its a different thing.

Classic cars can sell for big money and in reality they are underpowered, unsafe , gas guzzling, badly driving rust buckets. And yes that applies to a 10 million ferrari or a 100 grand Aston down to an old Cortina. Change the setting and people are all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭vectra

That is more mileage than I do annually and never had a problem with a diesel

I drive a 2.0 vrs octavia.
    Recently I had to have a loan car for a few weeks due to my old one being accident damaged.
    One of the loan cars was a Skoda Roomster 1.2 (tsi ?)
    I am certain it was a tsi.
    I was absolutely shocked at the amount of petrol it used compared to my 2.0 diesel. I was only too happy to hand it back.

Go diesel, you wont regret it.

As you mentioned Golf, I assume that was the 1.6D ?
    Why not price a Seat Leon 1.6D Basically the same car only cheaper.

Golf 1.6d = 24.5 for 3 door and 25.5 for 5 door.
    Leon 1.6D = 21.3 for 3 door and 21.6 for 5 door

That is 3 grand saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Indeed, but there is a point to new cars. Some people chop and change every 2 years as they want to drive something 'clean'. Many dont want to sit on seats sat on by other people picking their noses etc.
    I dont really buy into any of that BS so I will be keeping my money for something better but you have to respect other peoples decisions as its their money.
    An old CLS would be better by far than a new golf but its horses for courses.
    agreed, I think it depends on what your definition of good is. A number on a number plate has nothing to do with how "good" a car is. I dont get reg snobs, who arent car snobs (thats not aimed at anyone in particular)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'm driving s 1.4 tsi golf at the moment (touch screen radio, stupid switch handbrake !) its getting around 46 -47 mpg (indicated ! it is a hire car )
    on a mixture of motorway and town driving up in the north of england. the 1.6 Diesel is supposed to get . is supposed to get 20 odd mpg more the petrol should cost you around 500 + a year more on that calculation in fuel costs

so 4-5 years to pay the difference in terms of fuel consumption

so 4-5 years to pay the difference in terms of fuel consumption
    4-5 years if your not paying interest on the car. I'm not sure what the residuals on either car would be in say 4-5 years though...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm not your fu*king mate, so don't refer to me as such!

It's ok mate, it's just an expression in conversation. I'm sure he is not trying to work his way into your social circle pal.

It's ok mate, it's just an expression in conversation. I'm sure he is not trying to work his way into your social circle pal.
    Foiled again! :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

kceire wrote: »
    Listen Pal if they don't wanna be mates they could at least be friends if you keep out of it buddy:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

if the 1.2 is available with 105ps, I'd go for that.

good engine.... frugal enough if driven with care.

if the 1.2 is available with 105ps, I'd go for that.

good engine.... frugal enough if driven with care.

You see that is where I see the issue. You always have to drive with an egg under your right foot to get any sort of economy out of them, whereas with a diesel you can enjoy the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is fuel consumption such a big priority for you OP given you are only driving 10k km per year? If I was only driving 10k km or less a year then I'd be looking a nice smooth petrol with decent poke for enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

1.4tsi? Same price as the diesel but given the light weight of the new Golf it would have a decent turn of speed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Petrol engines are much nicer than diesel engines to drive anywayl.

Its a very reasonable point but its also a matter of opinion :)

Jesus. wrote: »
    Its a very reasonable point but its also a matter of opinion :)

Depends on the circumstance. Around town - petrol most definitely, down a national or motorway to work - diesel, ringing it's neck - petrol again. The diesel sound will grate on you after a while tbh.

Depends on the circumstance. Around town - petrol most definitely, down a national or motorway to work - diesel, ringing it's neck - petrol again. The diesel sound will grate on you after a while tbh.

Spot on me auld flower!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I wouldn't get a petrol in a fit if I didn't need a big van

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I wouldn't get a petrol in a fit if I didn't need a big van

Have you got that the wrong way round mate? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Have you got that the wrong way round mate? :)

Its ok im drunk.

Have 8 drinks and it will make sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The diesel sound will grate on you after a while tbh.

It's not the only thing that will grate on you if you drive a diesel for long enough;).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ahhh diesels aren't that bad. That 1.6 isn't bad at 110km/h, quiet enough. Cruiser.

Tbh any of the diesels will probably be better cruisers and quieter at speed. I can't hear my engine at 2k on the motorway at all, let one what pump it drinks from.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Tbh any of the diesels will probably be better cruisers and quieter at speed. I can't hear my engine at 2k on the motorway at all, let one what pump it drinks from.

My 10 yr old Octavia would tell ya different! It's a loud car inside and out, I have to turn up the radio a LOT to drown out the noise at 120/130kph on the motorway :o

IT-Guy wrote: »
    My 10 yr old Octavia would tell ya different! It's a loud car inside and out, I have to turn up the radio a LOT to drown out the noise at 120/130kph on the motorway :o

Bet ya the engine is quieter than the 1.4/1.6 is at that speed - they'd be sitting at around 3500rpm droning even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Bet ya the engine is quieter than the 1.4/1.6 is at that speed - they'd be sitting at around 3500rpm droning even more!

That's true, my Octy at 100kph sits at 2200rpm, 2900rpm at 130kph and is loud enough then, the few times I've revved it to 3500 and over it's screamed like a crying baby (btw it's an automatic :D ). That said, I'd imagine the newer cars would have better soundproofing between the car's interior and road/engine bay?

Octy is known for not being the quietest but I find it ok at cruising speed on the engine side of things.
    The main noise comes from the tyres.

I've said this before on here and a few posters nearly tore me to shreds for it but I'll have another go!

I've never owned a diesel car in my life but family members have/do and I've always found the diesels to be far quicker than the petrols. It might just be a coincidence but I have driven/owned a fair few cars at this stage and I've always found the diesels to be far nippier. Fu*k knows why because everyone else says its supposed to be the other way around!

There, I've said it. Time to get back down into me bunker :D

I've said this before on here and a few posters nearly tore me to shreds for it but I'll have another go!

I've never owned a diesel car in my life but family members have/do and I've always found the diesels to be far quicker than the petrols. It might just be a coincidence but I have driven/owned a fair few cars at this stage and I've always found the diesels to be far nippier. Fu*k knows why because everyone else says its supposed to be the other way around!

There, I've said it. Time to get back down into me bunker :D

They are stronger in the middle range which is about as far as most cars are pushed therefore they seems nippier.

But this is then countered by lag below 2k revs and a lack of high end power compared to an equivalent petrol. In most it's all over by 4-4.5k revs whereas the petrol is only getting going then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

....and where petrols start to become uneconomical.

Advertisement