Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy bones...

• 20-09-2013 8:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    strange question maybe.

My dogs love the bones from the butcher, fresh bones, not the ones from the petshop.

I don't eat a lot of meat myself, so sometimes I go to the butcher just buy a couple of hamburger and ask for bones... and I feel guilty.
    Usually they give me a couple of them...

I would like to have A LOT of bones to keep in the freezer, as Buddy when I leave in the morning is crying desperate, that could help to keep him enterteined for a while.

Where can I buy a lot of bones without feeling guilty :P ???
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Why not just ask the butcher if you can pay for the bones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could maybe try the meat factory (next door to us in work) in Rosemount - Branagan's? They have a factory shop so maybe buy something and ask if they have any bones. They sell lots of stuff in there that you can feed the dogs - lamb breast, offal etc Just don't go in after work - you'll be sat in a queue for ages to get out of that business park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

jsabina wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    strange question maybe.

My dogs love the bones from the butcher, fresh bones, not the ones from the petshop.

I don't eat a lot of meat myself, so sometimes I go to the butcher just buy a couple of hamburger and ask for bones... and I feel guilty.
    Usually they give me a couple of them...

I would like to have A LOT of bones to keep in the freezer, as Buddy when I leave in the morning is crying desperate, that could help to keep him enterteined for a while.

Where can I buy a lot of bones without feeling guilty :P ???
    thanks

Alot of butchers/meat stores are happy to get rid of the bones even to non customers. After all, less bones equals less general waste for them for dumping.

I have often gone to a local butchers here in Cavan and they have no problem giving bones despite the fact that I buy very little off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Lemlin wrote: »
    Alot of butchers/meat stores are happy to get rid of the bones even to non customers. After all, less bones equals less general waste for them for dumping.

+1 Don't feel guilty, most butchers are delighted to get rid of their bones as they're no use to them and won't make money on them. A lot of butchers don't charge for bones for dogs as they know that person could potentially be a future customer and spend money. Definitely don't feel guilty...ask away. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

And they have to pay to dispose of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Hope you don't mind OP but I have a couple of questions in regard to bones..was age/size does a puppy have to be to eat a bone and what bones do you ask for? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Jazbee wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind OP but I have a couple of questions in regard to bones..was age/size does a puppy have to be to eat a bone and what bones do you ask for? Thanks!

I would also like to know what bone to ask from the butcher. My butcher seems willing to give them away but twice I brought some home and twice I was told that it was the wrong bone (by a person who knows what the "right bone" looks like but doesn't know its name):o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

awanderer wrote: »
    I would also like to know what bone to ask from the butcher. My butcher seems willing to give them away but twice I brought some home and twice I was told that it was the wrong bone (by a person who knows what the "right bone" looks like but doesn't know its name):o.

Brisket bones...

My lad loves them. Everything gets eaten. Meat, fat and the entire bone. Only one every few weeks. Teeth are spotless afterwards. Fed raw obviously.

Here's a snap
    null_zps9a807da2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Hooked wrote: »
    Brisket bones...

My lad loves them. Everything gets eaten. Meat, fat and the entire bone. Only one every few weeks. Teeth are spotless afterwards. Fed raw obviously.

Here's a snap

Thanks a lot!

Do you treat those bones as food then? What I means is, if I normally feed my dog with dry food, should I give him less dry food when I give him those bones? I had thought of bones as something to give my dog to keep him occupied not as a real food:o (I am a bit new to that dog spoiling life:rolleyes:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Brisket bones? What's the difference? Growing up I was always though to ask for marrow bones for our family collie.
    Also what is the right age to start giving bones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

awanderer wrote: »
    Thanks a lot!

Do you treat those bones as food then? What I means is, if I normally feed my dog with dry food, should I give him less dry food when I give him those bones? I had thought of bones as something to give my dog to keep him occupied not as a real food:o (I am a bit new to that dog spoiling life:rolleyes:).

We feed kibble (dry nuts) in the morning meal and 'raw' in the afternoon. The two should never be mixed in the same feed.

And yes, a brisket bone is fed in place of a normal 'raw' meal. Takes him much longer to get through and is quite 'stiff' at the other end. Remember those white dog poos you used to see when younger... The result of a well digested amount of bone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Marrow bones are the long leg bones, right? I think if they are beef bones they are considered too hard for a dog - my lady got slab fractures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

boomerang wrote: »
    Marrow bones are the long leg bones, right? I think if they are beef bones they are considered too hard for a dog - my lady got slab fractures!

I thought you weren't supposed to feed any weight bearing bones, as they are too tough

Advertisement