Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App Idea

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

Hi there,

I have worked with web developers before. I know a brilliant team. Money is the problem for me. Sitting on an idea for a while now. Wanna make it a reality!

Corkbah wrote: »
    there's a thin line that you need to understand ... and maybe I'm misinterpreting what you (Percy) are saying.

yes there are programmers/developers out there who will try to bamboozle you with jargon in an effort to get an extra couple of weeks of payment or time to concentrate on other projects etc, BUT .... there are also programmers/developers out there who take pride in their work and want to save themselves time/effort by ensuring that bugs are minimal and the product works 100% ...you may call them pedantic ...but I'd rather a pedant than a bullsh1tter.

only problem is if you are not in complete understanding of the processes etc, you can find it difficult to tell the difference between the pedant and the bullsh1tter, I've had websites built for me and have discovered over the years that ....its simply down to your personal radar - sometimes you'll notice when someone is dragging their heels and sometimes you'll see this person is really productive and forward thinking.

as for the OP - I'm in a similar position to yourself, can see a market, I require a decent quality team to build my app/website ...and I simply cant afford to pay up, I've been sitting on the idea for almost 6yrs, there have been similar "ideas" launched but nothing as specific as mine ...its a niche area but also expansive..... my idea is a derivative of current processes, simply when you think about it ...just need to build then slowly market and increase usage - have already marked out marketing strategies, plans, promotions, advertising, revenue in and costs out.....market already exists but not in a formal manner and the market is reasonably small (circa 200-500K) ...and I'd like to limit it to Ireland with plans of local detup in other countries - after review of legalities.

Had quotations of between €10K-40K for development of the website alone - without apps (back in 2008) - for my project its more about a long term thing, so I dont want to offer "equity" ... I'd much rather pay up but I'm not convinced I've found the right team to build my vision.

OP - I think Graham said it earlier in the thread - what you (and I) need is a technical manager (essentially someone who can identify if the web developer/programmer is bullsh1tting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Dad11 wrote: »
    I have worked with web developers before.
    You've outsourced development abroad before?
    I know a brilliant team. Money is the problem for me. Sitting on an idea for a while now. Wanna make it a reality!
    Well, I know it's a pretty obvious point to make, but why don't you deal with your money problem then?

Look at getting a feasibility study grant (easiest money you'll ever make). Draw up a plan to develop a prototype, rather than a finished solution, designed to impress and convince potential investors, whereby you can raise the necessary capital to build and market your finished solution. Put your hand in your wallet. Convince that "brilliant team" of developers you know to become your business partners.

If you want to make your idea a reality, do so. Don't blame lack of money; blame yourself for not raising the money. At the end of the day, if you want to stop sitting on your idea, is the obvious solution not to get off your arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I've outsourced and I agree, it's a lot of work trudging through the scammers but you can get good deals too.

Thing is I'm in the industry. Typically I can code it myself, but it often makes more sense to farm it out. I'm also familiar with requirements and specifications, and with how IT projects work.

From your previous posts, you also appear to come from an IT background, and I'd presume the above would not be a mystery to you.

However, many of those who post here don't come from an IT background. They know little or nothing about the technology or code. They've probably never heard of a technical specification or requirements document. If you mentioned waterfall to them, they'd probably think Niagara Falls or Powerscourt.

And that's why outsourcing is not a magic solution to development. Because they're far less likely to spot the scams, or even be able to deal competently with competent enough developers who might need that bit more effort, because of distance or language barriers.

As a result, it's extremely commonplace to have such people come back to you after a few months of throwing money down the drain, trying to get it done 'cheap'.

Now, go read the OP again and let is know if you really think that outsourcing is the best advice you could give them. If you gave such advice professionally, I'd advise your client to engage a solicitor with a view to suing you.

ah yes, i was replying to other posters in the thread, not the OP.

yes, to clarify, i only outsource stuff that I can and have done myself before. more often than not, i've to take over when the freelancer flakes. yes, you're looking for trouble if you outsource something you're not familiar with and escpecially if you don't have an IT background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

yes, to clarify, i only outsource stuff that I can and have done myself before. more often than not, i've to take over when the freelancer flakes. yes, you're looking for trouble if you outsource something you're not familiar with and escpecially if you don't have an IT background.
    Then is is very, very important that you specify that caveat, because what you wrote read as advice for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Limecube

As a mobile app developer, this sentiment from Tapadoo has always resinated with me.

http://tapadoo.com/2009/the-problem-with-revenue-share/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Freddio

I'm reminded of Wally Breslin

Advertisement