Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound problem on netbook

Options
  • 20-09-2013 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I have a Samsung Netbook Model NC10 operating on Windows xp. I find that incoming sound is very "tinny" - voices sound like Donald Duck. Using Skype my voice is received normally by listeners. I have tried adjustments to the sound system via Control Panel but nothing works. Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Same with headphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

Yes - with headphones. Barely audible without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

But the sound is OK with headphones?

Sorry about ambiguity. Sound is as described - tinny - like Donald Duck with headphones. Same sound barely audible without.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Mystified wrote: »
    Sorry about ambiguity. Sound is as described - tinny - like Donald Duck with headphones. Same sound barely audible without.

Is this a recent devlopment or has it always been like that?

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    Is this a recent devlopment or has it always been like that?

Although I have the Netbook since 2009 I haven't used sound much so in truth I cannot remember whether it has always been like that or not. There is a program called Samsung EDS (Enhanced digital sound) installed and I have played around with the settings but without curing the "tinny" problem

Although I have the Netbook since 2009 I haven't used sound much so in truth I cannot remember whether it has always been like that or not. There is a program called Samsung EDS (Enhanced digital sound) installed and I have played around with the settings but without curing the "tinny" problem

You've only mentioned Skype so far. Is the problem still there with YouTube/Music using headphones/external speakers?

If so it might be worthwhile reinstalling latest drivers for the onboard sound.

You've only mentioned Skype so far. Is the problem still there with YouTube/Music using headphones/external speakers?

If so it might be worthwhile reinstalling latest drivers for the onboard sound.

Yes, proble also with You Tube. How do I find/update drivers?

Yes, proble also with You Tube. How do I find/update drivers?

To update the sound card driver, follow these steps:

1.Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
    2.Click the Hardware tab.
    3.Expand Sound, video, and game controllers.
    4.Double-click the sound card, and then click the Driver tab.
    5.Click Update Driver.
    6.Follow the Hardware Update Wizard to update the sound card driver.

Peculiarly even though the Netbook is operating on Windows xp the configuration for updating drivers was as follows

2.Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    3.Click Sound, video, and game controllers to expand.
    4.Under Sound, video, and game controllers, double-click the entry for your sound card, and then click the Driver tab.

Note If a Driver tab is not present, the entry that you clicked under Sound, video, and game controllers may not be the correct entry for your sound card. Try clicking any additional entries listed under Sound, video, and game controllers.
    5.Click Update Driver Software.
    6.Follow the Update Driver Software Wizard to update the sound card driver.

which is the configuration for updating Vista!

However after doing all that and after searching for a driver update, it returned - no driver update available.

Looks like a visit to PC world for a new Netbook or laptop.

• Advertisement

Peculiarly even though the Netbook is operating on Windows xp the configuration for updating drivers was as follows

2.Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    3.Click Sound, video, and game controllers to expand.
    4.Under Sound, video, and game controllers, double-click the entry for your sound card, and then click the Driver tab.

Note If a Driver tab is not present, the entry that you clicked under Sound, video, and game controllers may not be the correct entry for your sound card. Try clicking any additional entries listed under Sound, video, and game controllers.
    5.Click Update Driver Software.
    6.Follow the Update Driver Software Wizard to update the sound card driver.

which is the configuration for updating Vista!

However after doing all that and after searching for a driver update, it returned - no driver update available.

Looks like a visit to PC world for a new Netbook or laptop.

you could try uninstalling the driver first and then re-install

you could try uninstalling the driver first and then re-install

I uninstalled the driver /program Realtek audio and then went to the Realtek Audio website, downloaded a file called WDM_R271.exe, installed it and voila! works a treat - perfect sound

Thanks to moredeith and others for help and suggestions

Advertisement