Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City vs Manchester United Match Thread 22/9/2013 k/o 16.00 Sky.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Doff wrote: »
    Any other ref and he would have been sent off in the first half.

For what exactly? I thought his yellow was harsh enough. Just a few tussles with Kompany that could have gone either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

What do people expect Moyes to say? He'll say that the result is not good enough but after that he can't come out and crucify the team or say that he selected the wrong players. The real answer to how he perceives today's match is in future team selections.

I know that, just a bit of reality once in a while would put my mind at ease that he knows what he is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

For what exactly? I thought his yellow was harsh enough. Just a few tussles with Kompany that could have gone either way.

Dragging down Aguero and kicking the ball off him after the whistle had gone would be the first that comes to mind. Not like it matters now anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Unbelievably satisfying win. United really appalling, no ideas and not much passion either. Inquest needed there.

City did the job. Hard not to win that by a distance. Would've been nice if Negredo and Dzeko got their goal, but can't have everything. Happy happy days! :D:D:D

Pity we took the foot off the gas. Nasri and Kolarov filled in well, they were the only two a City fan would have any concerns about but they both had good games. Kompany, Aguero, and Yaya were all imperious, title winning form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Dragging down Aguero and kicking the ball off him after the whistle had gone would be the first that comes to mind. Not like it matters now anyway :P

He was trying to clear the ball. Do you think he did that on purpose? Everybody bar united haters could see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

People acting like it isn't a salvageable situation is funny, as is the rival fans (bar City fans, who should be enjoying this) predicting a "slide" from United because they lost away to Liverpool, drew with Chelsea and lost to City. There's still plenty of time and a very good run of games to get through. Moyes has to change it drastically but I'm not sure he sees what the problem is which is worrying.

Nothing in that from what I could see.

Anyway, well done City. Really great stuff from a few of their players. Not sure this result tells us a lot about United's quality or signifies the downfall that some are hoping for. The best players are not playing and I suspect that Moyes will lose patience with some of those players that should be offering more. He has to really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Very very happy. Win was never in doubt but very happy with the overall performance. Clean sheet would have been great but it's irrelevant. Point has been made.

At least United can get their revenge...on Fifa 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Very satisfying afternoon, that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Stay in 8th. We go 2nd.

3rd now.

• Advertisement

3rd now.

Yeah, late Spurs goal puts them ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Will they interview Moyes?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

very ordinary by utd today. left wafts of space for city to exploit. I have no idea what the thinking is behind young & welbeck. welbeck has virtually no strikers instinct, he barely works the defense and doesnt even make them think, not playing the lines, not moving at the right times. hes like the AI in pro evo or something. moyes doing his best to make an uphill start to his utd career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Moyes to United reeks of Hodgson to Liverpool a few years ago imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Man the difference was massive. The progressive, imaginative Pellegrini's City dominated the dour, flat and ultimately rather average Man Utd side. In midfield City were so far ahead it was unbelievable at times, Fellaini and Carrick simply didn't have an answer to the power and control of Toure and Fernandinho while the two City midfielders just had so many more quality options to lend the ball to. Moyes, a very British manager with the ideals of old school British football, looked very much a man of the past today.

Wake up sports fans Moyes is on!

Predictable stuff from Moyesy. Here's Vidic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

What did moyes say

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

L5 wrote: »
    What did moyes say

Not happy with the fixtures at the start of the season. Hinted that sinister forces are at work against him.

From the BBC:
    "Moyes' repeated suggestion that the fixture list was somehow engineered to give United a tough start is also a difficult one to understand. It seems far-fetched, pointless now the season has started and an open invite for the Football Association to investigate whether he has brought the game into disrepute."

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Rega wrote: »
    Not happy with the fixtures at the start of the season. Hinted that sinister forces are at work against him.

From the BBC:
    "Moyes' repeated suggestion that the fixture list was somehow engineered to give United a tough start is also a difficult one to understand. It seems far-fetched, pointless now the season has started and an open invite for the Football Association to investigate whether he has brought the game into disrepute."

thats not a good way to react. its not like hes fergie and can just say whatever and get away with it

Moyes

"The start to the season could be a lot better. We did say it could be difficult start. I wasn't convinced when the balls came out of the Premier League bag and I'm still not convinced."

Suprised he came out with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

BMMachine wrote: »
    thats not a good way to react. its not like hes fergie and can just say whatever and get away with it

Sounds like he might have had a pre press conference phone call with Fergie alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Moyes

"The start to the season could be a lot better. We did say it could be difficult start. I wasn't convinced when the balls came out of the Premier League bag and I'm still not convinced."

He's just deflecting attention away from the performance. Fergie has done similar before.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Moyes

Tinfoil hat time for Moyes. His next 5 league fixtures are against:

West Brom
    Sunderland
    Southampton
    Stoke
    Fulham

Then there are a few harder ones again. It's swings and roundabouts all the time with fixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Moyes is just trying to come up with excuses for the fact he is completely out of his depth at United. It was a shocking appointment in the first place. His record against any half decent side shows he will never be able to manage a good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Fellaini was shocking to be honest. Deserved result by MC, and that's on an average MC performance.

Moyes is just trying to come up with excuses for the fact he is completely out of his depth at United. It was a shocking appointment in the first place. His record against any half decent side shows he will never be able to manage a good team.

His record at Everton.

Against top teams who spend a hell of a lot more with world class players.

With the players he had.

And still finished 6 last season iirc, 1 place ahead of Liverpool and 2 places ahead of West Brom.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Moyes

??

Is he hinting that he thinks it was rigged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

His record at Everton.

With the players he had.

And still finished 6 last season iirc, 1 place ahead of Liverpool and 2 places ahead of West Brom.

Is that what it takes to be the manager of Man Utd, the most successful team in English league history

Agueroooo wrote: »
    ??

Yes.......but i'd guess its more deflection tactics, i doubt he actually thinks that, but he has said similar when Everton were in the pot for CL qualifiers....

Agueroooo wrote: »
    ??

He is. It's small time and bitter, to be honest. I'd expect better from a United manager. It'll be interesting to see whether the hierarchy at Old Trafford issue a statement gently and subtly slapping him down for that comment.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Is that what it takes to be the manager of Man Utd, the most successful team in English league history

Who else was there?

Every manager at the top now got their big break one time or another, you don't go straight from your coaching badges to being manager of Real Madrid. Moyes did a great job at Everton, keeping them on the coat tails of teams like Liverpool and Spurs, even surpassing Liverpool last season and the season before, on a very small budget.

He's getting his chance now to prove what he can do at one of the biggest clubs in the world, obviously it's a risk, but judge him in June not after 5 league games.

Who else was there?

Every manager at the top now got their big break one time or another, you don't go straight from your coaching badges to being manager of Real Madrid. Moyes did a great job at Everton, keeping them on the coat tails of teams like Liverpool and Spurs, even surpassing Liverpool last season and the season before, on a very small budget.

He's getting his chance now to prove what he can do at one of the biggest clubs in the world, obviously it's a risk, but judge him in June not after 5 league games.

There was plenty of time to bring someone in thats far better IMO. Martinez will show a lot of people this season how much of an ordinary job Moyes has done at Everton.

I dont like Moyes, but as you say, judge him June, 7 points from 5 after a very tough start isn't a disaster, the excuses should stop soon though, nice run of games for Utd now.

blueser wrote: »
    He is. It's small time and bitter, to be honest. I'd expect better from a United manager. It'll be interesting to see whether the hierarchy at Old Trafford issue a statement gently and subtly slapping him down for that comment.

Really? Ferguson was always at this ****. It's par for the course at United that the manager comes out with bizarre statements like this. Probably contractual.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    There was plenty of time to bring someone in thats far better IMO. Martinez will show a lot of people this season how much of an ordinary job Moyes has done at Everton.

I dont like Moyes, but as you say, judge him June, 7 points from 5 after a very tough start isn't a disaster, the excuses should stop soon though, nice run of games for Utd now.

Who was available at the end of 2012 when this decision was made? If you don't know, your point doesn't make sense.

Every player that played for Everton yesterday were bought by Moyes bar Barry, if you watched them you'd see Moyes' philosophy is still pretty much in place.

I don't know how you can say he did an ordinary job either, he spent on average 11.6m a season on transfers for the 11 seasons he was at Everton and finished 4th once, 5th twice, 6th twice and so on. He did a great job at Everton and to say otherwise without any argument is pure nonsense.

Really? Ferguson was always at this ****. It's par for the course at United that the manager comes out with bizarre statements like this. Probably contractual.
    Well; I was on about how the club is always preaching about doing things the right way, on and off the pitch. You're right about Ferguson of course. He was the ultimate graceless loser, along with Neil Warnock. I just thought that Moyes might have been better. Naive of me, I know.

blueser wrote: »
    Well; I was on about how the club is always preaching about doing things the right way, on and off the pitch. You're right about Ferguson of course. He was the ultimate graceless loser, along with Neil Warnock. I just thought that Moyes might have been better. Naive of me, I know.

Never heard the club talking about doing things the right way. Sounds like something rival fans say to frame their outrage when somebody associated with the club does something wrong. It's not how I view the club anyway.

It is naive of you. All managers come out with ridiculous things and are graceless losers at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Who else was there?

Pellegrini, Hiddink, De Boer, Klopp, Jupp Heynckes, Capello and Joachim Loew off the top of my head

Who was available at the end of 2012 when this decision was made? If you don't know, your point doesn't make sense.

Every player that played for Everton yesterday were bought by Moyes bar Barry, if you watched them you'd see Moyes' philosophy is still pretty much in place.

I don't know how you can say he did an ordinary job either, he spent on average 11.6m a season on transfers for the 11 seasons he was at Everton and finished 4th once, 5th twice, 6th twice and so on. He did a great job at Everton and to say otherwise without any argument is pure nonsense.

Martinez, with pretty much the same squad of players minus their talisman of last few seasons, Fellaini, will finish on or above what Moyes has done with them last season. Moyes done an ok job in difficult circumstances but was completely unremarkable and easily achievable. He broke into the top 4/5 when it was easy to do so when compared to the competition for places now. He has not done enough to deserve one of the biggest jobs in world football.

If you think unavailable managers would not become available if Utd come knocking then i dont know what to say to you really. The list of managers that would come in is so long i wont waste my time in listing them to be honest.

EDIT See Amiables post above.

• Advertisement

This thread is quieter than I expected :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

His record at Everton.

With the players he had.

Huh?? His record at Everton against top teams who spend more was terrible. Liverpool is really the only team who spend a lot of money who he finished ahead of. There is a reason his results against teams who finish in the top 4 is so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

amiable wrote: »
    This thread is quieter than I expected :D

To be fair, there was nothing controversial as such so no talking point.

United fans know their team played **** and City fans know that their team played very well. There really is very little to talk about in the match.

Huh?? His record at Everton against top teams who spend more was terrible. Liverpool is really the only team who spend a lot of money who he finished ahead of. There is a reason his results against teams who finish in the top 4 is so bad.

That was my point tbh, don't know how you missed it.

Moyes did wonders with the players at his disposal, aka the ones he bought, that averaged 11.6m a season in transfer fees. If you think he should have had a better record against City, Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Liverpool, who spend hundreds of millions between them each summer, you really are deluded.

His record against big teams is terrible because he didn't have the calibre of players needed to consistently beat the likes of United and Liverpool. What he did do is beat teams at the level of his own club and finish 6th in the last two seasons.

United are banking on the fact that if he can do that at Everton with so little resources, well then given time and ample resources he could have United where they want to be, challenging on all fronts, it is a huge risk but it could well pay off. There's no point judging him after 5 games, that is utter stupidity from anyone who does, there's 8 months of football still to be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Aguero's movement for his 2nd goal.Having other players on the same wavelength helped them today,some of United's players looked as if they never played together before.

article-2426897-182C6D5800000578-309_634x411.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    To be fair, there was nothing controversial as such so no talking point.

United fans know their team played **** and City fans know that their team played very well. There really is very little to talk about in the match.
    Not sure if serious

Not sure if serious

Well apart from talking about how rubbish United were and how great City were, which most fans will do in their own super thread. That's why I'm saying this thread is so quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Not sure if serious

She's missing the word 'controversial' there I think!

Blatter wrote: »
    She's missing the word 'controversial' there I think!

Well I did put that in the first line of my post!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement