Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What options are available after a basic General Nursing Degree?

Options
  • 20-09-2013 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I know technically that the possibilities are endless but my question is more geared towards how much time has to be spent working up experience before you can go on to further study.

I'm in a catch-22 because I would much prefer to study Midwifery than study nursing but General Nursing is all that is offered in Sligo. If I wish to do Midwifery, I would have to go to Galway or Dublin and that is a cost that I cannot afford.

Basically, I would like to know if you complete your 4 year nursing degree (36 week internship included) can you go straight on and do a post-grad in midwifery/peri-operative/a&e/nurse management etc without having to spend 2+ years working as a general nurse.

I will be a mature student so I'm short on time and I would like to get all the years study out of the way as quickly as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You could check with An Bord Altranais. They do a list of the post registration courses across all the nursing disciplines as a PDF on their website: http://www.nursingboard.ie/en/professional_practice.aspx

The list doesn't say anything about duration of work experience prior to applying for a post grad course. It just says you have to be registered with the Board before applying. The individual colleges can give you more detailed info.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

I think for most (if not all) you need 6 months - 1 years PQE. See here and here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

WildRosie wrote: »
    I think for most (if not all) you need 6 months - 1 years PQE. See here and here.

Thanks for that. UCD is my preference anyway and with 'preferred 6 month post experience RGN' is even better, there also appears to be some leniency on that. Thanks again that's just given me more options to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

I know technically that the possibilities are endless but my question is more geared towards how much time has to be spent working up experience before you can go on to further study.

I'm in a catch-22 because I would much prefer to study Midwifery than study nursing but General Nursing is all that is offered in Sligo. If I wish to do Midwifery, I would have to go to Galway or Dublin and that is a cost that I cannot afford.

Basically, I would like to know if you complete your 4 year nursing degree (36 week internship included) can you go straight on and do a post-grad in midwifery/peri-operative/a&e/nurse management etc without having to spend 2+ years working as a general nurse.

I will be a mature student so I'm short on time and I would like to get all the years study out of the way as quickly as possible.

What about Castlebar ? I thought that they did midwifery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

marizpan wrote: »
    What about Castlebar ? I thought that they did midwifery

I would love to hear they did Midwifery but I don't think so. Nothing on Qualifax listed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement