Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Security / hacking challenges revived. Integrated with wechall.net

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

http://damienoreilly.org/ctf/

I revived all the old challenges and created an over all scoreboard for them.

I also integrated with http://www.wechall.net for a global scoreboard with other similar sites.
    http://www.wechall.net/site/details/74/IRISSCON_2012_Lost_Challenges

Check it out.

Ah Jaysus. My time is already taken up with the Honeyn3t CTF and now you release this. I'll have to give up on sleep altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

syklops wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus. My time is already taken up with the Honeyn3t CTF and now you release this. I'll have to give up on sleep altogether.

I'd say you have already completed some of these before.

I'd say you have already completed some of these before.

Yeah but you say challenge, and all I hear is challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

As luck would have it, in a fit of cleanliness some weeks ago, I binned all the notes I took the first time.

Dammit ... now I simply HAVE to do these ... all over again.

:)

trout wrote: »
    As luck would have it, in a fit of cleanliness some weeks ago, I binned all the notes I took the first time.

Dammit ... now I simply HAVE to do these ... all over again.

:)

haha enjoy!

• Advertisement

I'm stuck on the binary blob challenge ... i know i've made good progress ... but I think I'm missing something very simple.

I've the other "easy" ones sorted ... but this blob one has me stumped.

It's driving me scatty.

HALP!

I'm stuck on the binary blob challenge ... i know i've made good progress ... but I think I'm missing something very simple.

I've the other "easy" ones sorted ... but this blob one has me stumped.

It's driving me scatty.

HALP!

Aww to be honest, this challenge is really lame and therefore a lot of people get stuck on it, thinking its more difficult than it is. Its not really reverse engineering or pen-testing. Its just annoying really.

What have you found? A particular file format type? Whats so special over this file type compared to other similar file types?

Aww to be honest, this challenge is really lame and therefore a lot of people get stuck on it, thinking its more difficult than it is. Its not really reverse engineering or pen-testing. Its just annoying really.

What have you found? A particular file format type? Whats so special over this file type compared to other similar file types?

2 digits. The difference between
    87 and 89

2 digits. The difference between
    87 and 89

Hmm you might be on the wrong track.

A hint is: binwalk or even unix/linux/cygwin's file command.

OK ... what I've got is this
    A file system, containing 8 directories. Each directory has several file chunks. When joined together, these files form an image file. All but one of the image files displays correctly.

There is a theme linking the images ... abandoned buildings.

The one image that doesn't display properly has the magic number of GIF89 ... the other images have a magic number of GIF87

I've tried stego tools, scalpel (for hidden files)
    ... but I'm chasing my tail now :(

• Advertisement

OK ... what I've got is this
    A file system, containing 8 directories. Each directory has several file chunks. When joined together, these files form an image file. All but one of the image files displays correctly.

There is a theme linking the images ... abandoned buildings.

The one image that doesn't display properly has the magic number of GIF89 ... the other images have a magic number of GIF87

I've tried stego tools, scalpel (for hidden files)
    ... but I'm chasing my tail now :(
    This is why its hard, because its a dumb challenge compared to all other ones. Anyways, all the chunks merged should form valid images. I just tried it there. The magic difference isn't part of the challenge. Just think what the differences between what a gif can do over.. say a jpeg.

I have 8 images ... they look lovely, but no sign of a key. Should I be looking for animation or opacity, something GIF specific?

Gif specific yes.

Metadata?

Metadata?
    anim frames

GAH!

GAH!

Haha yeah, its a pretty rubbish level.

That binary blob one put me in bad form ... but I feel better now having solved it.

Onwards and upwards.

I'm now on the "From the air" challenge. Aaaaaand I'm stuck. Again.
    I have the CAP file parsed, the SSID, passphrase and the various WPA keys extracted through aircrack-ng and the backtrack wordlists.

I thought the Master key would be the answer, it wasn't. Then I tried both of the Transient keys.

So ... there must be some jiggerypokery required ...

I think I need another hint. :)

I'm now on the "From the air" challenge. Aaaaaand I'm stuck. Again.
    I have the CAP file parsed, the SSID, passphrase and the various WPA keys extracted through aircrack-ng and the backtrack wordlists.

I thought the Master key would be the answer, it wasn't. Then I tried both of the Transient keys.

So ... there must be some jiggerypokery required ...

I think I need another hint. :)

You should decrypt the pcap file now that you have the correct details. Use a tool in the aircrack-ng suite. Make sure its relatively up to date. Oldish versions are buggy

• Advertisement

Got it - thanks for the hint.

Looking at the "where to begin" one now.

Got it - thanks for the hint.

Looking at the "where to begin" one now.

Hahah nice, this is a strange-ish one also!

Yup ... it has me scratching my head.

I'm thinking
    magic file numbers play a part .. and it's an executable of some sort

Yup ... it has me scratching my head.

I'm thinking
    magic file numbers play a part .. and it's an executable of some sort
    The question is, how to execute that? or you could just examine it in a certain tool, bypass the need to execute it.

Further spoiler:
    shell code

OK ... some progress, but not enough.
    I've extracted what looks like a shell file. It fails to execute properly ... not sure why. Line 11 looks odd. I guess the answer key is generated using this shell script ... and I should be able to reproduce / run it manually.

I'll have a well earned cuppa first though.

Am I the only fule doing these this time around?

OK ... some progress, but not enough.
    I've extracted what looks like a shell file. It fails to execute properly ... not sure why. Line 11 looks odd. I guess the answer key is generated using this shell script ... and I should be able to reproduce / run it manually.

I'll have a well earned cuppa first though.

Am I the only fule doing these this time around?
    Oh I mean its shellcode.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellcode Don't worry, the code I have is not dangerous.

A further spoiler:

Looks like your the only one from boards.ie doing them yeah. There is randomers from wechall.net that are giving them ago also.

edit ... finally got the "where_to_begin" challenge

I need a lie down now.

Learned a lot on that one ... that's all new to me :)

The clanteam challenge site appears to be down :(

Oh I mean its shellcode.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellcode Don't worry, the code I have is not dangerous.

A further spoiler:

Looks like your the only one from boards.ie doing them yeah. There is randomers from wechall.net that are giving them ago also.

The Honeyn3t challenges finished up about a week ago. I reckon a lot of people will get to these but are enjoying some Away-from-screen time. Come the end of the Honeyn3t CTF I had stopped working, stopped housework, etc. Still didnt make the top 10 though :(. Still apparently, no one person solved all the challenges. Thats some consolation.

I've done a lot of these before, but Id like to do them again to get me / keep me sharp. I also think I need to improve my traffic analysis skills.

• Advertisement

The clanteam challenge site appears to be down :(

Hopefully it will come back online soon: http://www.zymic.com/forum/index.php?act=announce&f=34&id=12

Advertisement