Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas beer

Options
  • 20-09-2013 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Christmas beer

I put this on today
    It smelt wonderfull simmering in the pot,so hopefully it tastes the same, should be interesting

3kg plain light malt extract
    450g light honey
    500 muscavo brown sugar
    225g crystal malt
    60g black malt
    40g cascade hops in boil
    20g saaz finishing
    30g grated ginger root
    3g ground cinnamon
    Grated zest of 3 oranges
    Safele s04 yeast

o.g 1052

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Look good, but Christmas is still a bit away you can easily fit a few more brews in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

oblivious wrote: »
    Look good, but Christmas is still a bit away you can easily fit a few more brews in ;)

I have 3 on at mo ,xmas one ,a vanilla choc milk stout ,and a AIPA cascade n citra

I bottled brown ale on weds ,which had 4 vanilla pods that were soaked in bourbon for 2weeks in it ,tasted ok ,but not sure about it ,conditioning might help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

tteknulp wrote: »
    I have 3 on at mo ,xmas one ,a vanilla choc milk stout ,and a AIPA cascade n citra

I bottled brown ale on weds ,which had 4 vanilla pods that were soaked in bourbon for 2weeks in it ,tasted ok ,but not sure about it ,conditioning might help

Nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

plan on something similar this wend and going to soak raisins in spiced rum, would soaking for 5 or 6 days be enough time.

Star Anise 
    blueshed wrote: »
    plan on something similar this wend and going to soak raisins in spiced rum, would soaking for 5 or 6 days be enough time.

Raisins hmm sounds good ,id say its fine ,you might want to liquidise 1st , i never used before

someone mentioned Star Anise to add a liqorice hint

• Advertisement

what I hope to brew is

Finlandia dark ale kit
    1.5kg LME
    150g wheat spraymalt
    200g carapils
    75g chocolate malt
    50g fuggles
    50g perle
    50g of raisins steeped in 100ml of spiced rum
    1 star anise
    3 cloves
    orange zest
    500g brown sugar
    1 can of golden syrup added after 5 days

15lt brew

what I hope to brew is

Finlandia dark ale kit
    1.5kg LME
    150g wheat spraymalt
    200g carapils
    75g chocolate malt
    50g fuggles
    50g perle
    50g of raisins steeped in 100ml of spiced rum
    1 star anise
    3 cloves
    orange zest
    500g brown sugar
    1 can of golden syrup added after 5 days

15lt brew

That looks like a bad Santa alright ,it will be a 7%+ , what you putting in secondary ? or are all in boil

few questions, had the raisins soaking in the rum since Monday. they have being in an air tight jar in my fridge, is it ok just to chuck them into the FV at the start or do I need to boil them.

when im adding the golden syrup the plan is to heat it up with 200ml of water till it boils then add straight into the FV. want to do this on day 5 or 6, would the above be correct.

few questions, had the raisins soaking in the rum since Monday. they have being in an air tight jar in my fridge, is it ok just to chuck them into the FV at the start or do I need to boil them.

when im adding the golden syrup the plan is to heat it up with 200ml of water till it boils then add straight into the FV. want to do this on day 5 or 6, would the above be correct.

Yeah put in jug with boiling water before f.v. In case any nasties ,
    Add when fermenting slows down to retain flavour 6-7 days usually

rum and raisins in tonight or in with the golden syrup ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

be careful with boiling the fruit, if you boil it too long you end up with jam.

IN find the key with christmas beers is to mature them for at least 4 months. But that recipe looks pretty good, I made one a few years ago around november time by the time I opened them in December they were medicinal in flavour but by the paddies day they were terrific

willabur wrote: »
    be careful with boiling the fruit, if you boil it too long you end up with jam.

IN find the key with christmas beers is to mature them for at least 4 months. But that recipe looks pretty good, I made one a few years ago around november time by the time I opened them in December they were medicinal in flavour but by the paddies day they were terrific

I put honey,fruit ,and ginger ,cinamon last 5 mins as i wanted to keep as much flavour as possible ,its a low o.g so ok for xmas ,i since added a star anise & mulled wine bag ,had a sample and so far nothin overpowers so happy days : )

Quick update , opened a bottle today , its a nice dark amber colour so 60g black malt seems correct , flavour there is clove , cinnamon ,no real anise flavour which is a surprise as I thought it might overpower it a bit , im happy so far should be better in another month or so

ytwr.jpg

My attempt at a winter ale

Brew 27-9-13
    Btl 15-10-13
    OG 1058
    FG 1012
    ABV 6.6%

1kg Finlandia kit
    1.5kg LME
    200g carapils
    100g aroma