Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I raise the rent?

Options
13»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For what sounds like a nice apartment in south Dublin that's close to the dart it seems to me like you've been screwing yourself out of 200 euro a month whoopsy.

To put it another way - if you did put it on the market again I am pretty sure you'd be able to choose the tenant you wanted from quite a few interested parties even with the price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Sarn

Speaking from my own experience. A few months ago before my current contract finished my landlord got in touch to advise me that she intended to increase the rent by €100/month. This is after three years with no change in price and having originally negotiated the asking price down. It gave me plenty of time to look around for a similar 1 bed. However, I found that there was next to nothing available in the areas that I wanted or to a suitable standard. In the end I chose to stay as I felt that the market rent was being charged.

From talking to other friends looking in South Dublin the same is repeated. Good places are snapped up immediately. If there are next to no similar properties available in the area and it's in good order then I wouldn't foresee any difficulty in getting a new tenant relatively quickly. The only issue is the unknown factor of a new tenant.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I'm out and about so I'll reply properly later but just on the point of lowering the rent when she initially moved in, there were two reasons for this; there were a lot of other interested tenants but all of them needed to give notice to their landlords or already had but were two weeks off moving in etc. This girl wanted to move in the following day, so it was worth it in that sense. Secondly, she was very local, her son goes to school within a short walking distance and her family live in the area, I liked that idea too (and still do).

With regards to the noise from the party, the apartment is surprisingly well soundproofed - for a relatively new build. The issue wasn't the noise, but other sort of "anti social behaviour" that occurred on the night. Cans left in the hallways, people smoking in the communal areas etc. Noise is something I never had an issue with thankfully.

Proper response when I'm back at a laptop!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Op, you are being very reasonable and given that rents have increased quite a bit over the past year or two, she has actually saved quite a bit. I doesnt sound like you will want to go back every year seeking a rent hike (assuming prices keep rising) you could tell her you will raise it E150, but guarantee not to raise it again unless something unforeseen happens... Id certainly raise it E100 by the way. This is coming from a tenant renting a property by the way, your not a charity at the end of the day. The major shortage of property isnt your fault...
    With regards to the noise from the party, the apartment is surprisingly well soundproofed - for a relatively new build. The issue wasn't the noise, but other sort of "anti social behaviour" that occurred on the night. Cans left in the hallways, people smoking in the communal areas etc. Noise is something I never had an issue with thankfully.
    wow that is a piss take! it would have been first and final warning if I were you! some landlords might not even be that generous...

Advertisement