Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of mobile phones here in ireland and Plans!!

Options
  • 20-09-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Anyone want to explain to me WHY we have to pay such extortionate prices for bill pay plans here in Ireland compared with say the UK??? :eek:

Was online looking this morning and for £29.50 a month you can get a free Iphone 5s on a 24 month contract with 600 mins and texts and 1gb data from carphone warehouse I think it was (who sell every carrier anyway)....you cant even get close to that here even with a 4s. :mad::mad:

So whats the craic like?? Why do we have to pay so much?? :mad:

And can anyone see the price of the 4s coming down to buy sim free or will apple still try to milk that too?? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

mcg1987 wrote: »
    Anyone want to explain to me WHY we have to pay such extortionate prices for bill pay plans here in Ireland compared with say the UK??? :eek:

Was online looking this morning and for £29.50 a month you can get a free Iphone 5s on a 24 month contract with 600 mins and texts and 1gb data from carphone warehouse I think it was (who sell every carrier anyway)....you cant even get close to that here even with a 4s. :mad::mad:

So whats the craic like?? Why do we have to pay so much?? :mad:

And can anyone see the price of the 4s coming down to buy sim free or will apple still try to milk that too?? :rolleyes:
    A huge population for starters, which means plenty of competition so prices are always going to be better.

iPhone 4S is now €399 direct from Apple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Lower VAT, lower costs and a much higher population will make it cheaper in the UK. However I don't believe there is THAT much of difference in the pricing. Some quick maths:

29.50 GBP to EUR, adjusting for VAT @ 23% is about 30.25 EUR. Given that no one can deny costs are higher here. I'm guessing equiv. would be about ~35 euro. A 24 months contract. 840 EUR (more exact figure is ~726 without adjusting for higher costs in Ireland)

I'm guessing 600 EUR to buy the 5s outright, 48months.ie @ 10/month is a similar tariff. 24 months contract = 840 EUR.
    (ok the number of minutes isn't exact, but you get unlimited texts and 60 min landlane calls)

So you're not actually paying a whole lot more. Again, this is a rough pricing off the top of my head.

EDIT: The 4s is 399 EUR, so adjust my figures above. Saying "you cant even get close to that here even with a 4s" is not really true.

Advertisement