Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efiber unstable connection!

• 20-09-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I got my fiber installed last Thursday and everything seemed to work 10/10 had great ping times too, of around 20-30. but this few couple of days i have noticed the connection has been jumping up and down constantly, which causes my gaming experience to suffer. "I game on xbox 360" I am keep getting lagged and i don't know what to blame it on, the connection speed it self or the router. Not to mention the Ping is super inconsistent
    here, have a look for yourself:
    2979908588.png

2979869117.png

86682387.png

86682315.png

86682628.png

This tests are all done wired, with cat6 cable by the way. So after all this i decided to ring the tech support, and told them about the issue i was having. Their reply was "everything on our end seems to be fine just give couple of days for the newly installed connection to stabilise and it should fix the trouble you're having" And here i am couple of days in and still nothing has improved. Oh yeah and last night my connection just dropped all of a sudden. I had to reset the router for it to work again. :( i thought upgrading to efiber from adsl would improve my gaming experience by a mile but unfortunately this isn't the case. If anyone could give me a hand and help me out and fix this issue, i'd love you forever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

log onto modem

go to network settings > qos > class setup

modify rtsp

set interface from lan to local

click apply

then modify default queue

first correct the queue name from defualt to default

then change interface from lan to local

click apply

go to network settings > home networking

look for lan mode setup

change ipv6 state from enabled to disable

click apply

then go to network settings> broadband

click on modify (ethwan) set ipv6/ipv4 to ipv4 only

click apply

click on modify (vdsl) set ipv6/ipv4 to ipv4 only
    click apply

your modem will drop connection and reconnect with ipv6 disabled

enjoy much better speeds both browsing and lower latency

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

i'll try it as soon as i get back home if this works i am gonna love yo forever man thanks a million.
    by the way freddy there is something else i'd like to ask, you might be able to help me. i am trying to connect both xbox 360's online at the same time but the nat is moderate on both. i was told to use port triggering but i cant seem to enter the last port for the xbox. its keep telling me "tcp port 80 is used please change to another one. its driving me nuts man. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,263 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    i'll try it as soon as i get back home if this works i am gonna love yo forever man thanks a million.
    by the way freddy there is something else i'd like to ask, you might be able to help me. i am trying to connect both xbox 360's online at the same time but the nat is moderate on both. i was told to use port triggering but i cant seem to enter the last port for the xbox. its keep telling me "tcp port 80 is used please change to another one. its driving me nuts man. :(

Did you see Freddy's post in this thread? It may be the answer to what you are asking.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056991054

I was told that its not possible to port forward both xbox's and was given an option to port trigger. By following freddy's steps based on that post, i will only be able to open ports/have open Nat for a single xbox which i already have.

log onto modem

go to network settings > qos > class setup

modify rtsp

set interface from lan to local

click apply

then modify default queue

first correct the queue name from defualt to default

then change interface from lan to local

click apply

go to network settings > home networking

look for lan mode setup

change ipv6 state from enabled to disable

click apply

click on modify (ethwan) set ipv6/ipv4 to ipv4 only

click apply

click on modify (vdsl) set ipv6/ipv4 to ipv4 only
    click apply

your modem will drop connection and reconnect with ipv6 disabled

enjoy much better speeds both browsing and lower latency

Also freddy its not just my ping that is unstable so is my download/upload
    Wireless speeds:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2980006968
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2980210743

will doing the above steps help fix this as well?

• Advertisement

alright, it looks like i have sorted this issue out by enabling the Upnp and port triggering. even tho i can't forward the port 80 it still seems to work :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Also freddy its not just my ping that is unstable so is my download/upload
    Wireless speeds:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2980006968
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2980210743

will doing the above steps help fix this as well?

unfortunately is very hard to reduce latency and stabilize dl speeds on wireless connections. it is for this reason that speed tests done on wifi are often inaccurate

there is too many variables with background wifi noise such as cordless phone or baby monitors, tv digi senders, other routers in range etc.

some people choose to buy dual band routers so they can use the wifi on the 5ghz bandwidth which is subject to less interference

if you want good dl speeds your better off using ethernet cables

unfortunately is very hard to reduce latency and stabilize dl speeds on wireless connections. it is for this reason that speed tests done on wifi are often inaccurate

there is too many variables with background wifi noise such as cordless phone or baby monitors, tv digi senders, other routers in range etc.

some people choose to buy dual band routers so they can use the wifi on the 5ghz bandwidth which is subject to less interference

if you want good dl speeds your better off using ethernet cables

Gotcha. well, wired connection is what i use mainly since majority of my time is spend on xbox. Anyway, i have configured settings as you have told me, but haven't seen much of a difference yet to be honest. I am still getting insane amount of lag but this might be cause i have to xbox's hooked up to one router with Upnp enabled. I was also told to lower my Mtu from 1500 to 1364 mark, to see the improvement in lag. Do you think i should do that?

Advertisement