Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to pay - Angry and Embarrassed.

Options
  • 20-09-2013 4:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭

Thought I had 30 euro in my account when I went to buy petrol as I checked my account the night before and knew all my direct debits were paid. Somehow you took 29 euro from my account for notified fees and 2.50 interest without my consent or knowledge. 

My account usually goes over by 50 for the last number of years so thought as I well I would definitely have enough with 30 in it and with the 50 overdraft. I rarely use this 50 overdraft, maybe three or four times a year. I got the guards called on me as it was store policy as i could not pay for the petrol( I got 25 euros worth) and they took my license plate number, insurance number and license number and garage agreed if I paid it in within 48 hours there would be no charge. I then had to go to the credit union where I save my money take out the money and drive back to garage very embarrassed and had to tell work I wasn't feeling great on my lunch break and needed to go home.

So when was I told that you would be stealing 31.50 from my account?
    Where has this 50 overdraft feature which I never even signed up for gone?
    What is the 2.50 interest for?

I checked my account statements for the last six months and you stole approximately the same amount of money a few months ago without my consent. Please explain yourselves and this situation has left me quite embarrassed and shaken. I think ye will be losing a customer as If I remember correctly my bank fees were never more than 2 euro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi bezerk, 

Thanks for our post. 

Apologies for the embarassment and inconvenience caused by this matter. 

Fees are charged quarterly and are part of the T &C's of your current account. 

Unfortunately, as we do not have access to account information we cannot look at transactions or fees on your account. 

Please call Banking 365 on 0818 365 365 and a representative will look into this for you. 
    Representative assisted hours are 8am - 12midnight Monday to Friday and 9am - 6pm Sat, Sun and Bank/Public holidays. 

Thanks

Billy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭bezerk

When did I sign or see or get any notice about the change in conditions for you to take that much money from my account? I will be closing my account on Monday and switching banks. I've recently talked to family members and some of them have already switched from you.

Also can you confirm what the 2.50 interest is?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/doh000631-fees-and-charges-web-version-feb-2013.pdf

According to this you should have been notified 2weeks before charges were taken if charges are greater than 12.50€

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If you are able to lodge €1500 a month then permanent tsb are offering free banking. If you are paying around €30 a quarter then you will have a nice yearly saving.

Lisha wrote: »
    http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/doh000631-fees-and-charges-web-version-feb-2013.pdf

According to this you should have been notified 2weeks before charges were taken if charges are greater than 12.50€
    No I wasn't notified, Very angry. Why the sudden increase in charges? Its shocking how much ye are charging.

Again I ask whats the 2.50 interest taking out of my account for?
    Where did the 50 euro overdraft go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,455 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Vote with your feet OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

I got the guards called on me as it was store policy

I would rather see you Name & Shame that particular premises... calling Gardaí is completely over the top.  Not to mention waste of Public Funds... I bet that Shop weren't recharged for a Garda callout.  

I would take this up with you TD and get a letter off to Garda Commissioner for clarification as to why Gardai have to do the dirty work of Shop attendants.

There are plenty of other options available - you have a Driving Licence I presume.  You could have left them a copy or original as proof of ID and tell tem you will be back tomorrow.

Most of all - I would like to keep mu business out of such an establishment - so that is why they should be named.

If you are able to lodge €1500 a month then permanent tsb are offering free banking. If you are paying around €30 a quarter then you will have a nice yearly saving.
    Hi I get paid more than that monthly but I usually withdraw it and stick it into the credit union as I find I manage my money much better that way. Looks like I will be switching to permanent TSB. Thanks for the tip

Masala wrote: »

I would rather see you Name & Shame that particular premises... calling Gardaí is completely over the top.  Not to mention waste of Public Funds... I bet that Shop weren't recharged for a Garda callout.  

I would take this up with you TD and get a letter off to Garda Commissioner for clarification as to why Gardai have to do the dirty work of Shop attendants.

There are plenty of other options available - you have a Driving Licence I presume.  You could have left them a copy or original as proof of ID and tell tem you will be back tomorrow.

Most of all - I would like to keep mu business out of such an establishment - so that is why they should be named.

I won't name and shame but its a 24 hour petrol station near me in Dublin. I sometimes go there in the night and often I see they open the door for the guards instead of them using the hatch for them to get coffee and fill up a flask so guards just doing them a favour. I offered my license and insurance number

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Masala wrote: »

Shop assistants don't dictate store policy, they have to enforce it. If they don't enforce it then their job is at risk and the chances are (especially in a petrol station) that that money will be coming out of their wages.

Yes it is a **** situation to be in, but it's not the guy behind the counter's fault.

• Advertisement

Can I close my account here or do I have to call into your branch where it takes an hour to get served due to no one been there half the time to serve customers? I don't want to wait over an hour to close my account Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Banks are taking the piss with these current account fees. Problem is, trying to shop around is fairly pointless because they're all at it, with their ridiculous fees unless you deposit vast sums into a zero-interest current account so that they can screw you over by making money on the interest. You can't scratch your arse in a bank these days without them charging you for it. The banks are laughing at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I also never received any notification of the aptly called notified fees 

• Registered Users Posts: 45,455 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

bezerk wrote: »
    Can I close my account here or do I have to call into your branch where it takes an hour to get served due to no one been there half the time to serve customers? I don't want to wait over an hour to close my account Monday

Permanent tsb do everything for you. Visit their website

Banks are taking the piss with these current account fees. Problem is, trying to shop around is fairly pointless because they're all at it, with their ridiculous fees unless you deposit vast sums into a zero-interest current account so that they can screw you over by making money on the interest. You can't scratch your arse in a bank these days without them charging you for it. The banks are laughing at us.
    A comment up above said that if you get paid more than 1500 its free with permanent TSB. Thats even more shocking because people on minimun wage are going to get scalded. Lookily I earn more than that but still. What the heck is going on? I see some peoples fees are 60 per quarter:eek:

rarnes1 wrote: »

Permanent tsb do everything for you. Visit their website
    Nice one thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Fees are sickening alright.
    I get paid monthly , from that account I have 7 direct debits. (Was cash save account sneakily changed to current by aib so they can take charges)
    What's left over I transfer to current account and usually remove most of it in one go, maybe leave 100€ for unwanted doctors etc.
    charges usually about €20 a quarter
    I'd never use laser debit for shopping charges just add up too quickly .

BoI were wrong here not to notify that charges would be taken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

thee credit union i my choice of banking for years, one can pay all domestic bills from there, plus their bank drafts are free, also they issue a bank card which works at any atm, banks have to be constantlly bailed out, they also have no regard for the people who use their services, as they constantly come up with new methods of explotation.

flutered wrote: »
    thee credit union i my choice of banking for years, one can pay all domestic bills from there, plus their bank drafts are free, also they issue a bank card which works at any atm, banks have to be constantlly bailed out, they also have no regard for the people who use their services, as they constantly come up with new methods of explotation.
    Can your wages be paid into the credit union?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

flutered wrote: »
    Can your wages be paid into the credit union?
    Yeah, credit union accounts work just like any bank account in that money can be paid in and out of them electronically. Their major drawback right now is the lack of a debit card facility but word is that some credit unions will be launching one soon.

For people who can't meet the horrific conditions that the banks are imposing for free banking now, the best options are:

EBS, the only bank now providing a no-strings fee-free current account, though you have to pay extra for ATM transactions (avoidable if you use the debit card cashback facility).

The new KBC current account which charges a flat €2 a month, though you have to pay extra for ATM transactions (avoidable if you use the debit card cashback facility) and they have virtually no physical branches.

Ulster Bank which charges a flat €4 a month if you don't meet their criteria. Ulster is the best bank for people who travel to the UK any bit as they provide free withdrawals from Ulster Bank/Natwest/RBS ATMs in the UK whereas the other banks screw you for UK ATM withdrawals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

That is indeed shameful behaviour from BoI towards the OP. I too got burned with fees from BoI without any notification. In fairness it was no hastle to change to permanent TSB and I've been banking free since, and they actually seemed to appreciate my businsess rather than the contempt BoI seems to have for their customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

I just checked my balance in fear after reading this thread and sure enough, I am €16.24 overdrawn as a result of "Notified fees". Funny though, as I don't seem to recall having been notified at all!

Permanent TSB here I come! Especially with the good rep they seem to have here.

Any response Bank of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi bezerk, 

We answered your original question on the day that you posted. The response also stated that we do not have access to account details. Banking 365 can take a look at your account and offer assistance with any questions you have. 

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Any response Bank of Ireland

Ah bezerk, do you really expect BOfI to answer that question, based on a post on Boards, and just your username to go on. at least ring Banking365, and tell them your name address, and account number. The guy's here are able to answer many questions, but are not psychic.
    The bank charges notice is usually in the same envelope as your bank statement, so did out that letter you did not bother to read.

Advertisement