Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Clearance question

Options
  • 20-09-2013 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hey guys, me again.

Just a quick question about garda clearance. I need to reapply for the IEC (I got accepted in 2012, they changed the rules in 2013 so I need to go through it again) when it reopens in January-March. I just want to get something straight well-ahead of time rather than leaving it to the last minute. Nothing can be confirmed until I've been processed and gone through the whole thing, but ICAN are optimistic about my chances.

Currently in Canada on the IEC, I need to renew/reapply when it reopens. I have full-time work, that's not the concern. My concern is the garda clearance form. I had a meeting with ICAN last week who told me I can use the code on the last garda clearance to renew it. I had left the original in Ireland for safe-keeping, I wasn't comfortable bringing it, stuff gets lost or misplaced, I'm slightly paranoid and absentminded.

Someone decided where I had stored the letter was the perfect place for their Yugioh cards and now the letter can't be found. However, my parents did find one from 2011 which I needed when I was working as a teacher. I'm assuming it's the same thing, I had to provide the same info. I'm guessing I can just use that to renew, but I was wondering if anyone here can confirm/deny. If deny, I'd like to check if I can apply for it while I'm not in Ireland. I can provide whatever they need, and I'm not going to be doing anything with it until very late November/early December, I just want to know ahead of time rather than leaving it to the last minute.

tl; dr
    1. Need to renew IEC
    2. Need garda clearance
    3. Lost original clearance form, do have one from a year previously
    4. Am I in the clear, or do I need to apply for a new garda clearance?
    5. If I have to reapply, can I do it from Canada/get family to go to the garda station or do I have to drop a brick of cash to get home to renew it?

Obviously, plenty of time yet, I just want to keep on top of it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine87

Your garda clearance from last year is no good, it needs to be within 3 months of applying for it to be valid .

You can get your parents to apply for you, they just tell the guards your in Canada, im sure they will understand. Thats how i will be doing it as im not going back home anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

Yeah, cert needs to be less than 3months. Type up a nice little letter with the info they ask for on the garda.ie site, ie. your name, former addresses in ireland, place of birth, date of birth, etc.

You need to state what the cert is for (i.e. Embassy Canada, canada visa or such), include copy of ID, and you can ask them to send it to your parents' address, then your folks can send it (maybe scan and email too). Include an envelope with the address. They probably won't bust your balls over the postage if you explain you're currently in Canada. btw you also have every right to apply for this from canada, no need to be worried about putting down your current address. If your IEC application is from canada and that's your current address, it's probably best that your garda cert has that as your current address too.

Wouldn't apply for it right away though! Because let's say the IEC opens end of January, it could be March before you can start the Stage 2, so you want to time it right. I'd get the ball rolling on the garda cert straight after submitting the IEC app or around the same time, it should line up okay then.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

Sunshine87 wrote: »
    Your garda clearance from last year is no good, it needs to be within 3 months of applying for it to be valid .

According to the people in ICAN there's a code I can give them and they would renew it. I dunno, I'm just going on what they said.
    You can get your parents to apply for you, they just tell the guards your in Canada, im sure they will understand. Thats how i will be doing it as im not going back home anytime soon.
    Against wrote: »
    You need to state what the cert is for (i.e. Embassy Canada, canada visa or such), include copy of ID, and you can ask them to send it to your parents' address, then your folks can send it (maybe scan and email too). Include an envelope with the address. They probably won't bust your balls over the postage if you explain you're currently in Canada. btw you also have every right to apply for this from canada, no need to be worried about putting down your current address. If your IEC application is from canada and that's your current address, it's probably best that your garda cert has that as your current address too.

Okay, great. Massive load off.
    Wouldn't apply for it right away though! Because let's say the IEC opens end of January, it could be March before you can start the Stage 2, so you want to time it right. I'd get the ball rolling on the garda cert straight after submitting the IEC app or around the same time, it should line up okay then.

Oh I know, I just want to know NOW, rather than wait until the week before applications close, y'know? I want to keep on top of things.

Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Against wrote: »

Oh I didn't realise this. I'm in Canada on my first 12 month permit from the 2012 program. I applied for that by post and had to include my police checks straight away. So you don't submit your police checks when applying online until you've been "conditionally accepted"?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

bopper wrote: »
    Oh I didn't realise this. I'm in Canada on my first 12 month permit from the 2012 program. I applied for that by post and had to include my police checks straight away. So you don't submit your police checks when applying online until you've been "conditionally accepted"?

That's right, in the IEC/stage 1 they don't handle the police checks any more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement