Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Items not as dedcribed, but I've used them

Options
  • 20-09-2013 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

I bought a printer from Argos today which said it had wireless printing. I brought it home and installed it so its been used.

After several hours trying to set it up I eventually rang HP and they told me this printer doesn't support wireless printing.

So I'm wondering, am I entitled to a refund even though I've already used the printer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You probably would need some proof to show the description is different to the real thing, e.g the description in the catalogue not matching or a receipt showing a different product. If you have this then I would say you are entitled to some form of redress (replacement or refund), from what you tell us it's not as if you knew it wasn't a wireless printer and decided to use it anyway.

Are you absolutely sure you didn't use the wrong item number when ordering? I've nearly done that a few times.
    If so, just bring it back and explain nicely that it's not what you ordered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I bought a printer from Argos today which said it had wireless printing. ...
    A talking printer? Now there's a rarity. Keep it!

Where was the wireless printing claim made, was it in the Argos catalogue or the HP packaging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I bought a printer from Argos today which said it had wireless printing. I brought it home and installed it so its been used.

After several hours trying to set it up I eventually rang HP and they told me this printer doesn't support wireless printing.

So I'm wondering, am I entitled to a refund even though I've already used the printer?
    Can you give a link to the printer in the argos website and did the staff tell you it was wireless or is it stated in the catalogue/website?

You should be able to change it for a wireless printer if it is a case of you being sold something that is not as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Email print doesn't mean wireless printing and it doesn't say it has wireless capability anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Unfortunately Email Print isn't Wi-Fi.

This is what it means - https://h30495.www3.hp.com/c/46339/US/en/
    What is a Web-connected printer?

Many of the newest printers from HP connect to the Internet, enabling these key benefits:
    • ePrint – Use this HP feature to print from anywhere with a Web connection by sending an email to your printer's email address.
    • Print apps – Enjoy instant access to printable Web content from your printer's control panel, for select Internet-capable printers.
    • ePrintCenter – See your printer status, add and remove print apps, and manage ePrint settings and job history from any Web browser, at home or on the go.
    In order to use these features, your printer must be connected to a network with Internet access.

More info here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_ePrint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

That doesn't say anything about wireless printing at all.
    I'm afraid it's not a case of item not as described but more a case of description misunderstood.

https://h30495.www3.hp.com/c/46339/IE/en/

You can print over the internet, provided your printer is connected to the internet (with a wire presumably in this case)

Sorry OP but it looks like you're stuck with it, unless you can show that Argos expressly told you this one supported wireless printing.

I don't think that model supports ePrint either.
    So maybe the OP is right, for the wrong reasons...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/ePrint-Print-Apps-Mobile-Printing-and-ePrintCenter/Is-the-HP-Deskjet-1510-ePrint-supported/td-p/2953793

EDIT:
    It doesn't have ePrint (Email Printing) - So then yes, you should be able to bring it back.

http://www8.hp.com/ie/en/products/printers/product-detail.html?oid=5385188#!tab=features
    Mobility
    HP ePrint capability
    No

Mobile printing capability
    No

Just bumping this in case you finished reading after all the other posts.. :)

Yes, you should be able to bring it back Read the post above.

• Advertisement

Sorry guys, used the term Wireless Printing in error. I bought it on the premise that it had email printing, which the website says it has, and after a lot of frustration I discovered the printer doesn't support email printing, or "ePrint" as its called.

My main worry was that they wouldn't take it back if Id used it, by installing it on my PC.

Allyall wrote: »
    Just bumping this in case you finished reading after all the other posts.. :)

Yes, you should be able to bring it back Read the post above.

Yeah, just saw that myself.
    Not only that, their ad specifically says it supports mobile printing which it doesn't.
    "Mobile print enables printing direct from your smartphone or tablet through brand specific apps.".

http://www8.hp.com/ie/en/support-topics/mobile-printing/understand-mobile-print.html?jumpid=reg_r1002_ieen_c-001_title_r0001
    Understanding Mobile Printing

Mobile printing solutions let you wirelessly print documents, photos, web pages, and more from a mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet to your HP printer. Continue reading to learn how mobile printing works.

You may have found that reason after all OP :) It's clearly not as described on the Argos website so you are fully entitled to a replacement or refund. Whether or not you used the printer before discovering this is irrelevant to your statutory rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Sorry guys, used the term Wireless Printing in error. I bought it on the premise that it had email printing, which the website says it has, and after a lot of frustration I discovered the printer doesn't support email printing, or "ePrint" as its called.

My main worry was that they wouldn't take it back if Id used it, by installing it on my PC.

But you only found out that it doesn't have functionality (which their website specifically states it has) by using it. So you should be able to return it.

(I'd keep a screenshot and printout of the website though) and bring a printout of their website and HP's website. Will be hard to argue with.

Cheers for the input guys.

Took screenshots as soon as I thought I had a case earlier lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I bought vacuum cleaner bags in Argos before. They were listed as the ones for my machine in the guide. Opened them, they didn't fit at all! Returned to Argos with screenshot and manager gave me refund immediately. This was Argos Dundrum. So they do seem alright about things like this.

I've always found Argos very fair, but i think the OP was just checking out his/her rights before going back with the printer.

Advertisement