Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 roadworks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

And roadworks are due to begin on the Ennis Road, R445 at Inagh Drive on Monday 23rd September, 2013 for 10 Weeks to add more traffic lights.... More delays for everyone..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

10 weeks to set up traffic lights? What the feck are they going to be doing that takes 10 weeks?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Saw this earlier, roadworks to be carried out for 10-12 weeks on N18 between Sixmilebridge exit and Bunratty East exit, one assumes the very bumpy strech of road. Down to one lane and 50kph limit

http://www.clareherald.com/2013/09/works-to-get-underway-on-n18-limerick.html

Yeah it looks to be from Bunratty northwards towards Shannon.
    It's unlikely that they're going to remove the bumps though. That would involve rebuilding the road from the base up and would probably take a lot longer than 10 - 12 weeks. I'd say it's only removing and replacing the top surface. They did the section from Setrights to Bunratty last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

10 weeks to set up traffic lights? What the feck are they going to be doing that takes 10 weeks?!

Sure they have to figure out how far to stand apart from each other with the stop go signs, that should take a few hours, then they have to come to agreement on where to line up the junction dont forget breaks now as well.
    How much cement in the mix oh god thats a heated debate, while the lad in the JCB has a nap...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭manna452121

steveon wrote: »
    And roadworks are due to begin on the Ennis Road, R445 at Inagh Drive on Monday 23rd September, 2013 for 10 Weeks to add more traffic lights.... More delays for everyone..
    I posted this some time back It looks like Mr Cormac Hurley has got the go ahead for this http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/bu...tion-1-4737510 Maurice Quinlivan posted a flyer over 2 weeks ago saying that work would start in April,he must know some unemployed builder who is ready to start the job for cash. Since 2008 in the Lawn there has been major sewerage and drain problems with the same people telling use it would be solved SOON.I wonder who decides on where the money is spent and what will get the most votes, large amounts of Traffic or S.H.I.T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

I posted this some time back It looks like Mr Cormac Hurley has got the go ahead for this http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/bu...tion-1-4737510 Maurice Quinlivan posted a flyer over 2 weeks ago saying that work would start in April,he must know some unemployed builder who is ready to start the job for cash. Since 2008 in the Lawn there has been major sewerage and drain problems with the same people telling use it would be solved SOON.I wonder who decides on where the money is spent and what will get the most votes, large amounts of Traffic or S.H.I.T.
    One has to wonder who benefits most from these lights, the residents of the Lawn or a certain hotel?.

Well this was a disaster this morning. Tailbacks starting at Setrights. It took 25 mins to get from there to Bunratty. I'm not looking forward to the next 3 months :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Yea it looked worse going out to Shannon. Not very well signed on the other side either, seen a guy in an 08 520d nearly rear end another car this morning.

What's the best detour to take on the way out, Cratloe to Sixmilebridge to Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Detour wise, this morning I came onto the N18 at Hurlers Cross. Traffic was already backed up before the on ramp. I stayed in the merge lane/hard sholder and went through Bunratty village. The other side of Bunratty traffic was flowing normally.

AlfaZen wrote: »
    Detour wise, this morning I came onto the N18 at Hurlers Cross. Traffic was already backed up before the on ramp. I stayed in the merge lane/hard sholder and went through Bunratty village. The other side of Bunratty traffic was flowing normally.

Seen a few cars go through that way alright, ill chance that in the morning, going out to Shannon isn't as straightforward unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Yea it looked worse going out to Shannon. Not very well signed on the other side either, seen a guy in an 08 520d nearly rear end another car this morning.

What's the best detour to take on the way out, Cratloe to Sixmilebridge to Shannon?

Head towards sixmilebridge from cratloe and just after (1km) the first railway bridge take a left. The will bring you to the R471 to Shannon without having to go into the Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Initially when I saw them setting up the cones I thought they were simply going at the hedges but looking this morning on the way to Limerick they seem to be going across the centre median diagonally and I wonder if it's tied to the drains or a sewerage pipe in the area? Been a fair bit of work recently with a drain buster truck there the past few weeks near Bunratty.

Initially when I saw them setting up the cones I thought they were simply going at the hedges but looking this morning on the way to Limerick they seem to be going across the centre median diagonally and I wonder if it's tied to the drains or a sewerage pipe in the area? Been a fair bit of work recently with a drain buster truck there the past few weeks near Bunratty.

I was told on the Roads forum that they're closing the Northbound lanes, diverting traffic to the Southbound lane and then resurfacing the Northbound lanes. When that's done they'll do the opposite. Chaos for the next 3 months.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was one of those who went via bunratty, went fine after that. I was late going in this morning, is it any better around 8:10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I was told on the Roads forum that they're closing the Northbound lanes, diverting traffic to the Southbound lane and then resurfacing the Northbound lanes. When that's done they'll do the opposite. Chaos for the next 3 months.

Ah hell. Thats chaos alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They did that contra flow before and it was fine when they did the section towards Bunratty. The worst experience was when they had the roadworks by the Radisson.

The thread on here was enlightening.

ITS AN OVERTAKING LANE. LOL.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    The thread on here was enlightening.

ITS AN OVERTAKING LANE. LOL.

Haha I remember that thread. This morning the tailback was using both lanes and the zipping correctly :D Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Anyone know if there are any tailbacks in the afternoon or how bad they are? Have to go to Galway tomorrow around 15.30.
    I presume the traffic is flowing normally after the Sixmilebridge exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭fran38

AlfaZen wrote: »
    Head towards sixmilebridge from cratloe and just after (1km) the first railway bridge take a left. The will bring you to the R471 to Shannon without having to go into the Bridge.

That left you're talking about will indeed bring you onto the Shannon Road. But, just after taking that left, there is another left that brings you onto Ministers Cross. I'd say it'll take 3/5 minutes off of your journey if you continues onto the Shannon Road. From Ministers Cross, take a left to Bunratty. To Shannon, continue onto the Shannon Road which brings you onto the Ballycasey r/about. Allow an extra 10 mins journey time. Remember to take the first Cratloe/Sixmilebridge exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

30 mins added to journey this morning. Joke. There are two way around it though so will use them in rush hour in future.

I should mention there were two guys working in a tiny section not even blocking the road. One machine and a guy with a shovel. Cone overkill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Can anyone tell me the point in these roadworks? The existing road is perfectly fine in my opinion, there are plenty other side roads that could do with resurfacing instead.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the point in these roadworks? The existing road is perfectly fine in my opinion, there are plenty other side roads that could do with resurfacing instead.

Must be something to do with the bumpy section of road. A friends of mine's cousin badly crashed a car there last year due to the bumps, guess they were probably going a bit too quick but they are dangerous especially if one was unaware of them

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭funstuff

It is quite bumpy alright - It was built on a bog apparantely and sinks every few years

davo2001 wrote: »

It's not the surface that's the problem it's the bumps. It seems that they're digging the road up down to the foundations and rebuilding from there up to get rid of the bumps.
    funstuff wrote: »
    Is this the best route to take in future?

It is right now, but these works are due to last for 3 months so that could get pretty hectic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Daibhead

Hows the Cratlow route in the morning at rush hour? I've heard a couple of people saying it was almost as bad with traffic as bunratty.

Surprisingly driving back from Shannon yesterday at 5:30pm only added about 10 minutes to my commute. I'd say 5pm would be as bad as 9 in the morning though.

Also interested to see if the cratloe route is working out for people

funstuff wrote: »
    Also interested to see if the cratloe route is working out for people

Drove home from Limerick by Cratloe yesterday, the road between Cratloe and Ministers Cross is very dodgy, i'd say it'll be very dangerous with a lot of traffic on it. Added about 15 mins onto the journey, but I heard the hold up on the way out towards Shannon is 30 mins at least at around 6 in the evening. This will be some disaster in the run up to Christmas.

Some joke - If it was planned better there would be minimal holdups - Clueless bunch - Picked a great time of year to start

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Whats irt like on the way in...?

Have an appointment at 4.15 in town, would I want to leave Shannon about 3.00?

Advertisement