Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA Single Honours or Major/Minor?

• 20-09-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi! I'm a second year Arts student and am having trouble deciding whether to do 50 credits Sociology and 10 Philosophy or 40 Sociology and 20 Philosophy...any advice on the merits of a single honours degree versus a major/minor degree would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

I did extremely well in both subjects last year and while Sociology seems to be a developing passion (if you can say you're passionate about something after only 1 year?!), Philosophy is something I enjoy too...

I definitely want to study as a postgraduate, almost definitely in the area of Sociology, so I'm trying to figure out what degree will best support postgraduate study...

Thanks again!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

DWO wrote: »

I did extremely well in both subjects last year and while Sociology seems to be a developing passion (if you can say you're passionate about something after only 1 year?!), Philosophy is something I enjoy too...

I definitely want to study as a postgraduate, almost definitely in the area of Sociology, so I'm trying to figure out what degree will best support postgraduate study...

Thanks again!! :)

If that's the case, then 40/20 in favour of sociology seems the way to go. At the end of the day sociology is just philosophy in the real world, so I think whatever variation of credit choices you pick, one will complement the other.

Advertisement