Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Cigarettes..

Options
  • 20-09-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just need some help if possible.

I'm travelling to America in a couple of weeks and plan to buy some cigarettes in the duty free..

I'm just wondering how much a 200 carton of John Player Blue are in duty free?

Or would it be cheaper buying 200 cigarettes in America, if anyone has experience of this? I know they don't sell John Player there but what about Marlboro or a similar brand?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

200 cigarettes, all brands, costs €39.90 at Dublin airport.

They work out a little cheaper in the US but you're limited to mainly American brands like marlboro and Winston, though I have seen B&H in JFK before.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

lord lucan wrote: »

They work out a little cheaper in the US but you're limited to mainly American brands like marlboro and Winston, though I have seen B&H in JFK before.

Yeah, that's the downfall. I'm going to New York and I read there's a pretty recent cigarette sales tax that's been introduced. So maybe I'm best buying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

lord lucan wrote: »

If I'm heading to the UK, how much tax has to be paid on them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If you're not leaving the EU I'm not sure if they'll sell you cigarettes at Dublin airport. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

BeerNut wrote: »
    If you're not leaving the EU I'm not sure if they'll sell you cigarettes at Dublin airport. Anyone?
    They do. Had EU and non EU prices.

• Advertisement

Keith186 wrote: »
    They do. Had EU and non EU prices.

They don't,only non EU. There's 2 prices displayed but one is for the 200 pack and one for the 400 pack. They stopped selling them within the EU about 3-4 years ago when the price of them rose to such a level to make them prohibitively expensive to anyone flying to somewhere where they were often over half the price even with the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sheldon16

Hi all. Quick question, am currently in gran Canaria and 200_cigs around €28. Would I be better getting them here or in Dublin airport on return? 😀

sheldon16 wrote: »
    Hi all. Quick question, am currently in gran Canaria and 200_cigs around €28. Would I be better getting them here or in Dublin airport on return? 😀

You won't be able to buy them in Dublin Airport on your return as you're entering the EU. You'll have to buy them in Gran Canaria or in the duty free at Gran Canaria airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Beware customs on your return. The last time I came back from the canaries, they were waiting for us. A couple of canarys flights landed together.

I was pushing a trolley taller than I am. Yer man JUMPED out in front of me asking did I have smokes and how many. He was stunned when I said about 10 cartons.

There were 8 of us so I was ok :P

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry for the bump here guys but Im a little confused regarding the duty free cig allowance in a specific scenario.

A mate of mine (and his wife) was going on a weeks holiday to Holland over a week ago so I give him money to get me 2 cartons of Major at the airport as they cant be bought abroad. I also give him extra money for his companions to get a couple of cartons (major or anything really) on the plane on the way back again.

Low and behold he came back empty handed. He said they refused to sell him the fags both at the airport on on the outbound plane journey and the same on the journey home. He seems to think that the length of the journey had something to do with it but Im fairly sure thats not the case.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Oh, he also said the major were up to over €65 a carton which again I think he's wrong in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,580 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

muffler wrote: »
    Sorry for the bump here guys but Im a little confused regarding the duty free cig allowance in a specific scenario.

A mate of mine (and his wife) was going on a weeks holiday to Holland over a week ago so I give him money to get me 2 cartons of Major at the airport as they cant be bought abroad. I also give him extra money for his companions to get a couple of cartons (major or anything really) on the plane on the way back again.

Low and behold he came back empty handed. He said they refused to sell him the fags both at the airport on on the outbound plane journey and the same on the journey home. He seems to think that the length of the journey had something to do with it but Im fairly sure thats not the case.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Oh, he also said the major were up to over €65 a carton which again I think he's wrong in.

They only now sell cigarettes in Dublin Airport to those travelling outside the EU, they are one of the most expensive in Europe with duty so there was no real demand for internal EU travellers. I think Ryanair sell cigarettes on the flights to Canary Islands and non EU destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

They only now sell cigarettes in Dublin Airport to those travelling outside the EU, they are one of the most expensive in Europe with duty so there was no real demand for internal EU travellers. I think Ryanair sell cigarettes on the flights to Canary Islands and non EU destinations.
    Cheers AD. I had got family and friends to get the cigs for me in the past and thats why I was a tad confused as to how my mate couldnt get them.

Incidentally, could he have got / or can anyone get the cigs on the return journey at all? Aer Lingus flight if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Mind if I jump in here as well guy's

I am travelling to USA, soon, with family through Dublin

Last time they did not sell Pipe Tobacco, in the Duty Free, is that still the case?

I would like to stock up on Mellow Virginia, enough for a 2 week trip.
    4 Adults travelling so can buy enough.

If it's not available I will have to stock up before I pack my bags.
    Thanks for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,580 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

muffler wrote: »
    Cheers AD. I had got family and friends to get the cigs for me in the past and thats why I was a tad confused as to how my mate couldnt get them.

Incidentally, could he have got / or can anyone get the cigs on the return journey at all? Aer Lingus flight if that makes any difference.

Yes could have purchased them non duty free priced in airport in Holland, probably half the price or thereabouts as here, brand selection would be different. Doubt Aer Lingus sell on internal EU flights.

martinn123 wrote: »
    Mind if I jump in here as well guy's

I am travelling to USA, soon, with family through Dublin

Last time they did not sell Pipe Tobacco, in the Duty Free, is that still the case?

I would like to stock up on Mellow Virginia, enough for a 2 week trip.
    4 Adults travelling so can buy enough.

If it's not available I will have to stock up before I pack my bags.
    Thanks for any info.

The only pipe tobacco they sell at the airport is Condor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jakemiller.9

Hi guys
    I was just wondering would anyone have any idea about smokes of sleeves and how much they cost in France, and would I be better of getting them in duty free or shops over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mum1971

How much are smokes in Dublin airport 400 pk? Flying to the US. Thanks.

Advertisement