Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Can I Collect Hill Slate From?

• 20-09-2013 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I'm new here so hoping this is in the correct section.

I want to build my own fireplace and use slate for the front of it. I'd like to go hill walking and collect it myself, but I can't remember what hills have it.

I've walked so many mountains now (ex-army) that I can't remember which hills have slate sitting on them.

From Googling I think: War Hill + Sugar Loaf have slate but not totally sure.
    If any hill walkers or locals know of any places please let me know!

P.S I know I can buy it, but I'd love to collect it myself, bit of a story to it.:pac:

G

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Welcome!
    Of course you'll need the landowner's permission before you take anything.
    In most cases, uplands are either in the care of state bodies or owned jointly by several owners in common.
    Finding who owns the property could well be a challenge, perhaps even more so than the physical challenge of lugging a fireplace sized lump of slate off a mountain - even for an ex member of the forces.
    South Wicklow/North Wexford contain more accessible slates than the mountains proper. There are many slate quarries in this ditrict, mostly worked out now. Even so, you can still find perfectly usable pieces and there is the advantage that they are not attached to bedrock.
    I have found most quarry owners quite happy to give away a piece if approached civilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Car Kings

Hi Slowburner!

Thanks for the welcome and the info :)

I'm just looking to gather a few pieces off a mountain somewhere. If I got it from a legit quarry then it just wouldn't be the same, I want the little story to it.

I'd like to "stumble" across some and throw a few pieces in a bag, but I don't know what hills to go stumbling on LoL.

I know Down/Louth doesn't have any, and Wexford is a bit too far for me. Maybe I'll give the sugar loaf area a try tomorrow and see how I get on. I remember it being very rocky.

G

Advertisement