Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PM'ing Mods

Options
  • 20-09-2013 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Is it normal for a mod to not response to a PM?.
    I got a warning for been "uncivil" and replied by PM to the mod in question, then the following day I got another PM from the same mode giving me another warning for allegedly "trolling", both times I replied querying the warnings and have been ignored and not get a response, that was 2 days ago and I know for certain the mod in question has been online.
    Is this normal behaviour for mods?, also should I post the PM's I recieved and sent to the mod?.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

david-k wrote: »
    Is it normal for a mod to not response to a PM?.
    I got a warning for been "uncivil" and replied by PM to the mod in question, then the following day I got another PM from the same mode giving me another warning for allegedly "trolling", both times I replied querying the warnings and have been ignored and not get a response, that was 2 days ago and I know for certain the mod in question has been online.
    I'd give it a day or two more DK. They may have been online, but they may not have been. EG I was logged in for most of today, but was away from my computer since this morning.
    also should I post the PM's I recieved and sent to the mod?.
    This is seen as a major no no DK. Private messages are so named because they're private. The only place on the site where this is not fully onserved is in the dispute resolution forum and only there when it concerns the dispute over a ban directly.

Hope that helps DK.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd give it a day or two more DK. They may have been online, but they may not have been. EG I was logged in for most of today, but was away from my computer since this morning.

This is seen as a major no no DK. Private messages are so named because they're private. The only place on the site where this is not fully onserved is in the dispute resolution forum and only there when it concerns the dispute over a ban directly.

Hope that helps DK.
    Cheers thanks for that and the quick response, I know what you mean about "been online but not been online", but I think you might agree that multiple posts in multiple threads yesterday and today would be definitely maybe suggest that the mod in question is/has been online.
    Should I name the forum and the mod?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

david-k wrote: »
    Cheers thanks for that and the quick response, I know what you mean about "been online but not been online", but I think you might agree that multiple posts in multiple threads yesterday and today would be definitely maybe suggest that the mod in question is/has been online.
    Should I name the forum and the mod?.
    No.

Maybe they were busy with other 'mod' type things (I've no idea of what mods actually do) and will respond, or might just have been posting and not performing mod duties. If they don't respond in a couple of days take it the dispute resolution forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If you're not getting a response from a mod then PMing a co-mod is usually the best course of action. If you're still not getting a reply after a few days then talking a CMod would be the next step

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Two days is too long to wait and is unacceptable if the mod was online and posting in the interim imo.

I'd open a thread in DRP at this point. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'm waiting for a response to an simple action I requested on Sunday. It was sent to the mods, Cmods and one Admin (who had sanctioned another action)

I got a reply on Sunday from one mod not to do anything until the mods had discussed it.

I sent a follow up Tuesday, no reply.
    I sent another follow up Friday(today) at 16.45 - as yet no reply.

I am also waiting for a response from the mods about another issue I reported on Wednesday. In fairness this may have been dealt with and I didn't get an update on the issue.

To be honest, and I know this feeling is within my control, but the lack of response is beginning to feel personal :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

david-k, I personally feel you should have gotten a response by now. Only given that the mod was clearly online and active since then. It's not right to ignore PMs that relate to cards, even if the response is very brief.

MadsL, unless your request was something to do with a ban or infraction you'd been given, the mods, CMods or admins are under no onus to take any action you request.

Regarding reported posts, the same thing. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that serial reporters and requesters of action run the risk that human nature will cause people to start to ignore them. You're not one of those, are you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Dades wrote: »
    MadsL, unless your request was something to do with a ban or infraction you'd been given, the mods, CMods or admins are under no onus to take any action you request.

Dades, I can't go into details, but the action I was requesting was a simple one and of benefit to others rather than me. I'm really puzzled why it was ignored. Like I said, I got one response from the mods and that was to wait. It's bit like sending the apprentice for "a long stand" at this stage. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

david-k, I personally feel you should have gotten a response by now. Only given that the mod was clearly online and active since then. It's not right to ignore PMs that relate to cards, even if the response is very brief.

Regarding reported posts, the same thing. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that serial reporters and requesters of action run the risk that human nature will cause people to start to ignore them. You're not one of those, are you? :)

the op was not disputing the cards, in one the op was requesting action against another poster, the other questioning my comprehension of a particular word.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

darced wrote: »

we're your pm's civil?
    mods are users too and want to enjoy boards as more than just work. messaging in an uncivil or confrontational manner will likely be ignored.
    also, depending on how busy the mod is, perhaps a thread is more appropriate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

darced wrote: »
    That goes both ways. I've had occasion to pm about 10 different mods in my time and have gotten a prompt reply each time.

I especially remember pming a mod of poker to ask could I start a thread about something. I was fairly new at the time. Within 2 hours s/he had got back to me with an answer and a very nice chat pointing me to a few different places on here for newbies, to show what was and wasn't allowed and why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Miraculously the mod in question has PM'd me (within hours of this thread), although the PM was a little abrupt, and written in a peeved off manner, not unlike someone who got their knuckles rapped, I acknowledge the response.
    +1 IMO it's discourteous to not respond, even if that response by the mod is just to say "Sorry too late and take it to DRP".
    GreeBo wrote: »
    the op was not disputing the cards, in one the op was requesting action against another poster
    Now that you've brought it up, how can you not see that one is related to the other? My post was in response to anothers posters agressive and condecending post, yet you think it's appropriate to punish the respondee but not the OP, how is that fair?.
    the other questioning my comprehension of a particular word
    That word was "humour" and I'm still not convinced you understand what it means. I was attemping to extend the olive branch and you go and break it!. Why?.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Without full disclosure of the PMs and posts that received cards (which we don't do in Feedback), this thread is done.

OP you can now continue this conversation with GreeBo via PM or take it to DR if that goes nowhere and you want to dispute a card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement