Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC History Project

Options
  • 20-09-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm in 5th year and trying to decide what topic I should do my research project on. I'm just looking for some inspiration because I want to do something uncommon as I want to get a good grade and I don't want to bore the examiner with the same old stuff they see every year. Obviously I also want to have an interest in the subject.

So my question is what project did you do or do you know of any very unusual ones? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

every year the advice on here is choose something local to your area staying away from the main history curriculum. know of 3 people who did projects on tiny local events and all scored A1s - not saying that you won't get A1 with other projects but it will be more interesting to you and definitely more interesting to the correctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wildhitchhiker

Yeah I've heard that but I'm not sure where to start looking for things in my local area. I don't know of anything interesting and historical that has happened there. Thank you for the advice I'll try to look into local events.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't know of anything interesting and historical that has happened there.
    Your area has a history, you can take that for granted.

It doesn't have to be a major or national event.

The history project is more about the process and about your ability to evaluate sources and think critically.

Go into your local library and see if they have a local history section. Chat to the librarians if they have the time.

Check if there's a local history journal.

If you're in Dublin or a city, it's not always quite as easy to identify the "local", but still very possible.

If you want to give us a very general idea of your location, we may be able to help you focus in a bit.

Your area has a history, you can take that for granted.

It doesn't have to be a major or national event.

The history project is more about the process and about your ability to evaluate sources and think critically.

Go into your local library and see if they have a local history section. Chat to the librarians if they have the time.

Check if there's a local history journal.

If you're in Dublin or a city, it's not always quite as easy to identify the "local", but still very possible.

If you want to give us a very general idea of your location, we may be able to help you focus in a bit.
    I agree - there is always a wide variety of interesting local history topics.

You can find information about local history journals here -
    http://tbreen.home.xs4all.nl/journals.html

- most have links to a list of contents. You local library will have copies of the journals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Roughosing

I am doing Cesare Borgia and the Italian Wars 1499-1507 is that too broad or is it good?

Roughosing wrote: »
    I am doing Cesare Borgia and the Italian Wars 1499-1507 is that too broad or is it good?
    I think that would work

If I am not mistaken the war ended in 1504 - although there was a whole series of them during this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wildhitchhiker

I'm living in Kilkenny. I could possibly do something on the castle or the people that lived there. If anyone has any other ideas they are all welcome. thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm living in Kilkenny. I could possibly do something on the castle or the people that lived there. If anyone has any other ideas they are all welcome. thanks

Alice Kyteler.
    Anne Boleyn's Kilkenny connections.
    George Brown and the Spanish Civil War.
    James Brophy/Patrick Burke/James Reed, Kilkenny-born recipients of the California Medal of Honor - their stories.

etc.

Oh dear lord, you're spoiled for choice!!

Any of the above.

Rothe House ... as a merchant's house in the context of its time, or its restoration by the KAS, or loads of angles. Actually they've just done a huge amount of work researching and restoring the gardens there to what they would have looked like originally.

Dr. David Rothe and the confederacy.

Kilkenny College.

The Royal College of St. Canice's at Kilkenny (the second oldest university in Ireland had it survived; unfortunately James was better at granting charters than winning wars, and William sent him scurrying off with his tail between his legs!)

The Shee Alms House, the Tholsel, Butler House (the dower house of the Castle).

So many aspects to the Butlers and Kilkenny Castle, and even before them, back to William Earl Marshall.

Lady Ellen Dysart as an individual, or linked to her, Kilkenny Woodworkers or Talbot's Inch.

William Walsh and the foundation of Kilkenny Design 50 years ago this year.

So many more ... :D

The Journal of the KAS is a mine of useful stuff; Kilkenny City Library has a good Local Studies section; KAS has a library / archives at Rothe House, though access is limited as it relies on voluntary people.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've heard that but I'm not sure where to start looking for things in my local area. I don't know of anything interesting and historical that has happened there. Thank you for the advice I'll try to look into local events.
    Lives in Kilkenny ...

/blinks

/blinks

/bursts into tears!! :(:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Longgreentrain

Lives in Kilkenny ...

/blinks

/blinks

/bursts into tears!! :(:(

Need help !!!
    I'm doing the howth gun running but can't think of what point to do it from.

Or any easier topics

Need help !!!
    I'm doing the howth gun running but can't think of what point to do it from.

Or any easier topics
    Do you mean point as in date or angle?

A good primary source if you can access it, maybe try your local library to start:

Martin, Francis Xavier, 1922-2000 (ed.). The Howth gun-running and the Kilcoole gun-running, 1914 [Recollections and documents], Dublin: Browne and Nolan, (1964)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Longgreentrain

Do you mean point as in date or angle?

A good primary source if you can access it, maybe try your local library to start:

Martin, Francis Xavier, 1922-2000 (ed.). The Howth gun-running and the Kilcoole gun-running, 1914 [Recollections and documents], Dublin: Browne and Nolan, (1964)

The Angie ?
    Is the howth gun running a good one to do

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Roughosing

I think that would work

If I am not mistaken the war ended in 1504 - although there was a whole series of them during this period.

Yes, no you're not mistaken although i taught i would add in his death to beef up the story a bit more, although i'm afraid it may lead to being to broad...

Advertisement