Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ChkDsk running for 3 hours

Options
  • 20-09-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi there.

I dropped my laptop yesterday while I was using it. This didn't seem to be a problem at the time. The other users didn't have any problems when they used it today.

However, when I logged on I could not start any applications and had a message suggesting I run CHKDSK.

I did this at 6.30pm today and it went through the first 3 steps of 5 and fixed some stuff.

But now it is going through the stored photos and giving the message
    "windows replaced bad clusters" in a lot of the files.

The display shows "14 percent complete (156213 of 484848 files processed)"

I assume I just have to grin and bear it but should it be taking this long?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

motownman wrote: »
    Hi there.

I dropped my laptop yesterday while I was using it. This didn't seem to be a problem at the time. The other users didn't have any problems when they used it today.

However, when I logged on I could not start any applications and had a message suggesting I run CHKDSK.

I did this at 6.30pm today and it went through the first 3 steps of 5 and fixed some stuff.

Thanks

Yes depending on the size of the disk it can easily take longer, just leave it overnight.

Does sound like your HDD got a knock though, get a backup as soon as you can and be prepared to replace it.

EDIT: do keep an eye on progress though, could be that your HDD is damaged in which case chkdsk could just crash and sit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭motownman

wexie wrote: »
    Yes depending on the size of the disk it can easily take longer, just leave it overnight.

Does sound like your HDD got a knock though, get a backup as soon as you can and be prepared to replace it.

EDIT: do keep an eye on progress though, could be that your HDD is damaged in which case chkdsk could just crash and sit there.

Thanks for that. I am on my work laptop at the moment watching the slow progress through the files. I will leave it overnight and hope for the best. I actually backed up the important stuff just last week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Thanks for that. I am on my work laptop at the moment watching the slow progress through the files. I will leave it overnight and hope for the best. I actually backed up the important stuff just last week!

Just check it in the morning, it may be fine but unfortunately HDD's are quite sensitive to being dropped.

Fortunately new ones aren't expensive (ebay etc.) and are easy to replace.
    It's the files on them that are hard to replace and thankfully you have a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Hi there.

Thanks

once done backup all salvageable data and buy a new hd

your drive has a damaged read/write head

I left the CHKDSK running overnight and this morning everything seems fine, so fingers crossed.

However, having backed up all my important stuff again I was wondering if it is possible to back up my e-mail from Outlook Express to an external hard drive?

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

I left the CHKDSK running overnight and this morning everything seems fine, so fingers crossed.

However, having backed up all my important stuff again I was wondering if it is possible to back up my e-mail from Outlook Express to an external hard drive?

Any ideas?

look for the files outlook.pst or mail.pst and archive.pst or backup.pst

your emails are stored in those files

or alternatively go onto outlook express and export your emails into a new file on your backup drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

look for the files outlook.pst or mail.pst and archive.pst or backup.pst

your emails are stored in those files

or alternatively go onto outlook express and export your emails into a new file on your backup drive

Outlook uses PST files for Outlook Express uses a batch og dbx files info here.

Outlook uses PST files for Outlook Express uses a batch og dbx files info here.

you can export to pst files in outlook express

ive done it many times. very handy when you've just installed ms office... you can just export your emails to a pst file in outlook express then add the pst file into outlook in account settings. it will appear as another mailbox

this is very useful if you have multiple e-mail accounts (for example info@yourcompany.ie, support@yourcompany.ie, webmaster@yourcompany.ie) cos they will each have their own mailbox.

you can export to pst files in outlook express

ive done it many times. very handy when you've just installed ms office... you can just export your emails to a pst file in outlook express then add the pst file into outlook in account settings. it will appear as another mailbox

this is very useful if you have multiple e-mail accounts (for example info@yourcompany.ie, support@yourcompany.ie, webmaster@yourcompany.ie) cos they will each have their own mailbox.

THanks for those pointers.

However just realised that I need to back up from windows live mail.

I used the export email messages but it doesn't look like it exports the messages to me.

The content of the folder exported to does not include the inbox even if you choose to export all the folders. If you select the inbox on it's own the exported file is only 16kb which is barely one email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Or install Thunderbird. It will import all your messages, contacts, etc from Outlook Express. Then use MozBackup to backup your profile(s).

Outlook Express is no longer and the sooner you switch to a modern email client, the better.

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    Or install Thunderbird. It will import all your messages, contacts, etc from Outlook Express. Then use MozBackup to backup your profile(s).

Outlook Express is no longer and the sooner you switch to a modern email client, the better.

Thanks for that.

I should have been asking about backing up Windows Live Mail.

It's moot now anyway as my hard drive has given up completely. Just ordered a new one this morning.

I can't find my Windows 7 operating system disks unfortunately.

Is it possible to determine if my laptop can have 64-bit version installed when there is no operating system on the laptop?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Computer->Properties or Device Manager will tell you what CPU you have. Google that to see if its a 64bit one.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Computer->Properties or Device Manager will tell you what CPU you have. Google that to see if its a 64bit one.

How can I do that when the hard drive is kaput and can't access the device?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

How can I do that when the hard drive is kaput and can't access the device?

Sorry,my mistake. Google the model number then, or maybe a live linux CD might tell you.

System Information in the BIOS should tell you the CPU model.

It is highly unlikely that your CPU doesn't support the 64-bit instruction set. Intel has introduced it in 2006 with processors as old as the Pentium 4 Prescott series.

System Information in the BIOS should tell you the CPU model.

It is highly unlikely that your CPU doesn't support the 64-bit instruction set. Intel has introduced it in 2006 with processors as old as the Pentium 4 Prescott series.

The processor type is Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 which I googled and it is 64 bit capable.

Thanks for the assistance.

64-bit Windows is significantly more resource demanding than 32-bit (Microsoft ecommends at least 2 GB RAM, only 1 GB RAM for 32-bit). Unless you have more than 4 GB RAM or you need 64-bit Windows for certain applications, there is no real benefit of installing it on older systems, even if the processor is able to handle it.

64-bit Windows is significantly more resource demanding than 32-bit (Microsoft ecommends at least 2 GB RAM, only 1 GB RAM for 32-bit). Unless you have more than 4 GB RAM or you need 64-bit Windows for certain applications, there is no real benefit of installing it on older systems, even if the processor is able to handle it.

Thanks for that.

My laptop has 4gb of ram

Advertisement