Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL or OL Irish

• 20-09-2013 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

So I've just started 5th year and I'm doing all honours but I'm finding Irish pretty difficult and it has only been 3 weeks. What I want to know is that if I drop to OL will it be considerably easier or will there only be a slight difference and I'd be better off just sticking with it. I don't plan on becoming a Primary School teacher and HL Irish is not a requirement for courses I am thinking about doing in college.

Comments

I would advise that you stick with it because it gets considerably easier over time. As you cover more stories/poems/essays you see that a lot of the vocab tends to overlap and so you find it easier to handle. That was how I found it anyway. I nearly dropped in October of 5th year and went on to be top of my class.
    Also, if you do OL Irish you may become lazy whereas the longer you stick at HL the higher your standard of Irish will be for OL almost guaranteeing yourself a high B/A :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I would advise that you stick with it because it gets considerably easier over time. As you cover more stories/poems/essays you see that a lot of the vocab tends to overlap and so you find it easier to handle. That was how I found it anyway. I nearly dropped in October of 5th year and went on to be top of my class.
    Also, if you do OL Irish you may become lazy whereas the longer you stick at HL the higher your standard of Irish will be for OL almost guaranteeing yourself a high B/A :)

I know what you mean but I'm wasting time learning 5/6 pages about a poem whereas I could spend that time on English, Maths or my science you know?

What's the workload like at OL, how much detail do you go into for poetry and all that?

I'll try and stick with it for up to Christmas and see how I feel about it then

Troxck wrote: »
    I know what you mean but I'm wasting time learning 5/6 pages about a poem whereas I could spend that time on English, Maths or my science you know?

What's the workload like at OL, how much detail do you go into for poetry and all that?

I'll try and stick with it for up to Christmas and see how I feel about it then

I know exactly what you're saying because I said the exact same thing to my teacher, word for word. The work will seem hard at first but the poems and stories are only 60/600 marks in your LC so they don't even have a lot to do with your final grade!

OL is ridiculously easy. HL JC Irish was harder.. That being said some of the questions I saw on the poems etc were quite awkward.

Definitely keep it up and try your hardest. I was convinced that I was going to do OL by the time the LC came but luckily I didn't because I counted it for points in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

Troxck wrote: »
    So I've just started 5th year and I'm doing all honours but I'm finding Irish pretty difficult and it has only been 3 weeks. What I want to know is that if I drop to OL will it be considerably easier or will there only be a slight difference and I'd be better off just sticking with it. I don't plan on becoming a Primary School teacher and HL Irish is not a requirement for courses I am thinking about doing in college.

I know you're going to have people coming on saying how you should stick it out in higher level and I do agree with them. I did honours for Junior cert and then dropped, and by the end of 5th yer I could barely speak Irish, you just become terrible at it when you drop. That said, the work load is minimal and I got a B in pass with very little work.

Advertisement