Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much climbing

Options
  • 20-09-2013 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

I know a few contributors on here have done the Hardman and i am wondering does anyone know how much climbing is involved as in is it 1000m or is it 750m or how much?

What i am trying to establish is how it compares to the amount of climbing involved in IM Wales

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Hardman has about 1200m of climbing. I have the Garmin file somewhere. There are no serious hills, it's all very manageable.

I haven't done Wales but I know it's similar to IM UK which I have done. It was very tough. Hardman was much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

griffin100 wrote: »
    Hardman has about 1200m of climbing. I have the Garmin file somewhere. There are no serious hills, it's all very manageable.

I haven't done Wales but I know it's similar to IM UK which I have done. It was very tough. Hardman was much easier.

Thanks for that grif. Hardman climbing was ok really on the face of it. Wales looks like a tough one alright but then i don't thinking was ever meant to be easy. As Bolton is sold out I am thinking about Wales. Not sure if i want to go back to Kerry, might like the big atmosphere next time. Decisions decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

They showed IM Wales on channel 4 last weekend and the bike and run looked very tough. It might still be viewable on 4OD.

griffin100 wrote: »
    They showed IM Wales on channel 4 last weekend and the bike and run looked very tough. It might still be viewable on 4OD.

Saw that alright. That's what has me thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Having just done Wales I can confirm its a very tough cycle and run course. I have done the Wicklow 200 and a lot of the larger events over here and it's the toughest bike course I have done to date. That said the support you get on the day is unreal and it really does keep you going.if you can do Wales you can do any of them, that's how I looked at it. Just make sure and get plenty of biking and hills into your training and you will be fine.

Would have no hesitation in going back to it, the swim is stunning. Do it

• Advertisement

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Having just done Wales I can confirm its a very tough cycle and run course. I have done the Wicklow 200 and a lot of the larger events over here and it's the toughest bike course I have done to date. That said the support you get on the day is unreal and it really does keep you going.if you can do Wales you can do any of them, that's how I looked at it. Just make sure and get plenty of biking and hills into your training and you will be fine.

Would have no hesitation in going back to it, the swim is stunning. Do it

Nice one buachaill. I was wondering how you got on alright. I suppose it is all in the preparation. Have you a report on your log?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ciah

IM Wales bike course is tough but the steep hills are not long. It is just forever up or down. Pembrokeshire also seems to get a lot of SW winds which can make the first part of the cycle out to Angle difficult.
    In summary a great event. Stunning swim venue, scenic bike course and amazing support on the run. Its also easy to get to and inexpensive after the entry fee is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Nice one buachaill. I was wondering how you got on alright. I suppose it is all in the preparation. Have you a report on your log?

I had a tough day to be honest but got through it and loved every minute of it. I have not done a report I just didn't get around to finding the time to keep the thread updated so no sense filling one in now :o:o

Advertisement