Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA For under 21?

Options
  • 20-09-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I turned 20 a few weeks ago and just started a level 5 full time course in WCFE. I've done some research into Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) online and enquired about it at my local social welfare office and the conclusion I was met with is that you must be at least 21, end of story.

Earlier this evening I met a friend whose brother didn’t do a leaving cert, just started a PLC, should be on BTEA and is just 18. My friend told me her mother was in the social enquiring about it for her son (my friend’s brother) and was told he must be at least 21, but she didn’t stop there.

She got onto a local politician and he told her they’re full of ****e and they’ll say anything to Screw you out of money you’re entitled to. He told her as long as you’ve been on the dole for at least 72 days before you start a course you’re entitled to BTEA regardless of age. After hearing this she went down to the social and created murder until they eventually admitted he was entitled to it and gave her the forms for her son to apply. In the end he didn’t get it, not because of his age but because he wasn’t claiming job seeker’s for the 72 day requirement (which I have been).

Lads if this is true I should be entitled to it but I can’t find anything to back up what I’ve been told tonight. Is this true or am I being fed a load of ****e? Anyone know anything about this or have any advice because I’m in a desperate state with money at the moment and would really like to be able to buy something to eat at lunch for a change!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/353_Back-to-Education-Allowance.aspx

Age limits

To qualify for the Back to Education Allowance, you must be at least 21 years of age. You must be 24 for a third-level postgraduate course.

However, if you are getting Jobseeker's Allowance, Jobseeker's Benefit or One-Parent Family Payment for the required period (3 or 9 months), are aged between 18 and 20 and have been out of the formal education system for at least 2 years you may qualify.

If you are aged 18 or over (over 24 for the post graduate option) and getting Blind Pension, Disability Allowance, Invalidity Pension or Incapacity Supplement for the required period (3 or 9 months) you may qualify. The Allowance has also been extended to people with disabilities who have left Community Employment schemes and who, when beginning the scheme, were not getting a qualifying social welfare payment. In this case, you must begin the course within 4 weeks of finishing the scheme.

Unemployment or illness credits

If you are signing on for unemployment credits or submitting medical certificates for illness credits, for the required period of time (either 3 or 9 months depending on your course), you may qualify to participate in the BTEA scheme on a non-payment basis. This means that you do not get a weekly Back to Education Allowance. You continue to be awarded credited contributions while you are taking part in the BTEA scheme.

If you are participating in the BTEA scheme on a non-payment basis, you can also apply for a student grant to be assessed for the fee and maintenance component of the grant.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

Define formal education, I did another PLC last year but didn't get the award due to my employer giving me back my report a day past the deadline for the work experience module and basically failed the course, will that effect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Clutchkick wrote: »
    Define formal education, I did another PLC last year but didn't get the award due to my employer giving me back my report a day past the deadline for the work experience module and basically failed the course, will that effect it?

I'm think a plc would be defined as formal education

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement