Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of replacing power jack on my laptop myself.

Options
  • 20-09-2013 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I'm wondering is this easy enough to do.
    I'm not brilliant when it comes to taking apart my laptop (i've replaced hard-drives, memory and i've taken apart my netbook a bit (taken out the keyboard etc etc) but i'm wondering is this a completely different kettle-of-fish.

What are the steps:
    Source jack (any suggestions where i could get a Toshiba Satellite r630 jack).
    Invest in anti-static wrist strap.
    Disassemble laptop (i'm sure i'll find something online/on Youtube).
    Remove motherboard?? (this is the bit that has me thinking twice- is it easy to fry these).
    Soldering?? (will have to learn this if so).

I really don't fancy sending my laptop off for a few weeks to get fixed and for a nice fee. Would love to do this myself.

Advice very much appreciated (websites, guides, online shops etc).
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Toshiba-Satellite-R630-Power-Jack-/231043056584?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item35cb3d43c8
    (I didn't check for the cheapest or nearest one ....)

it would seem you won't need to solder it. But you may have to completely disassemble the laptop in order to fit it. Take care with connectors for ribbon cables to keyboard, trackpad etc. Make a map of where the screws come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

It should be easy to do... ive done it myself in the past on power jacks and headphone jacks with no problems... just take your time and have a clean counter or workspace to do the job.

The hardest part is getting to the component in the first place - disassembling a laptop isnt as easy as you think sometimes no matter what youtube videos show.

I would advise you to practice soldering and how to solder firstly though... maybe on an old circuit board.

I have seen people wreak copper pads on circuit boards by having the iron too hot and leaving it on the contact for too long.

Bonzodog2 is right too... make a map of the screws that come out as they can be different sizes and lengths to make life easier when putting it all back together.

Good luck with it and lets us know how you get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Thanks.
    Actually can anyone recommend a good cheap laptop repair kit.
    Stuff like wrist-strap, screwdrivers, voltmeter, soldering equipment.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I really don't fancy sending my laptop off for a few weeks to get fixed and for a nice fee.
    Main issue here. Are you willing to accept a total screw-up? If you blow it, it's a lot worse than a few weeks and a nice fee.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

28064212 wrote: »
    Main issue here. Are you willing to accept a total screw-up? If you blow it, it's a lot worse than a few weeks and a nice fee.

Well i was considering getting an ultrabook anyway. :p
    Seriously though, i suppose i'm just wondering how easy it is for that to happen. I would imagine this would be mainly around the motherboard.
    But if there's no soldering for example, it might be worth a look.

My main issue at the moment is finding the part online. The one linked above seems to be the only one on ebay but it's second-hand which i'm not mad about. Anyone know where i can get this part new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Did you watch any youtube videos? I just looked at one, but it wasn't clear if it was your model, you'd know better. Also it occurs to me there is a good chance a cable from something else might fit, and if its also from a Toshiba, there's a better chance the DC plug would be the same.
    This one for example, while not for the same Toshiba (and you cant see the other end!) is only $1.99, free shipping.
    A lot of them have the same type of 4-pin plug. Have a look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ive done it a few times. Reasonable enough to do.
    If that ebay part shown in this thread is correct, well then is a piece of piss as no soldering needed.
    The last one I've done was an Asus machine and it really was a pleasure to work on. Boards was out quickly and easily and no dodgy clips etc that were hard to open or anything like that.
    Hardest part was removing the old soldered in Jack.
    If you are handy, go for it seeing as it appears yours isn't soldered in. If on the other hand you are the type who would cut yourself opening a can of beans, it would be best to let someone else do it.

Advertisement