Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is it too late to join a trade union?

Options
  • 21-09-2013 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Is there some stipulation in place that you have to have made a certain number of contributions to a trade union before they represent you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Every union has its own rules. But in general they are always happy to take new members, and know full well that some people only realise the value of joining after the brown stuff has hit the whirly thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

The only thing that is putting me off joining the union is that I will have to strike if they decide to strike and I presume this will mean that I won't get paid - a position which I cannot be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes - but how often have they gone on strike?

Weigh up likely costs vs beenfits, especially if you need to pay for your own legal representation over an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I know of at least 2 unions currently ballotting for strike action. The union representing aer lingus & the CWU representing eircom agency employees

Advertisement