Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merlin College/Claregalway College

Options
  • 21-09-2013 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Anyone heard what the new schools Merlin College or Claregalway College are like? Eldest is in 6th class and may not get into Calasanctius so just looking at the other nearest schools

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Merlin are due to go into their permanent building in Feb 2014. In temp accommodation at the Brothers of Charity site in Renmore until then.

Claregalway has a permanent site identified, but work hasn't started yet (not even sure if they've got planning for it yet).

Probably too soon to make any judgements about quality for either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oranmoregal

Of course too soon to judge on quality but just wondered if anyone had kids in either and what they think of the schools, do they like the atmosphere, teachers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Don't know anything about Merlin. I do know a good few kids in Claregalway College. Mixed reviews from parents so far, a few people really impressed. Lots of people hold the Principal in very high regard and say he is very forward thinking. One friend has had very negative things to say, but from what I can tell all of her complaints could be put down to teething problems. Their unifor policy really bothers me ie kids must wear school blazer at all times, and the uniform having specific red piping through it so you have to get a particular one - strikes me as the exact opposite of forward thinking, but I know others don't feel the same way on that one.
    I will be watching very closely, I have a son in 5th class and Claregalway College is one of the possibilities. I'm very interested to hear others experiences and thoughts so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Judging by the take up in Claregalway(169 in first year), you'd want to be putting down their name now.
    I'd presume that both schools will have teething problems in there first year, but Merlin will have a state of the art, purpose built school next February. Whereas Claregalway could be waiting several years for their school to open.
    Maybe chat to the principals and go to their open evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

My Daughter is in Merlin and shes very happy there so far anyways. They have a strict uniform policy and zero tolerance on bullying etc which can only be a good thing. There has been a few minor teething problems but they are very quick to react to them. The new school will be finished in December which will allow for 5/6 weeks of snagging the buildings to ensure that the move from Renmore to Doughiska on Feb 14th will be as smooth as possible.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement