Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-Season Week 2

Options
2»

Comments

kWon my first ever user game proper(won a few UT games) against the Texans.

I rode my luck a lot with my 1st TD coming from a pass that should have been intercepted.
    I even managed a TD from a kick return after my lead was pulled back.

Only had 2 turnovers in 28mins whereas against the AI in UT I've been coughing up 3/4 average in 12(mins)

Guys what are the rules for playing user players?

In terms of running the clock down and 4th downs.

I'll just use the game as an example:

I was up by 7 with 2-3 minutes to go, I advanced the ball to within FG range. The set up here against the AI would be to kill the clock and kick the FG with the last play.
    The Texans used one timeout to kill the clock but then let the other two run out so I decided to just take a small bit off and run my play without going overboard and was able to get another TD.

Do ye use any rules in relation to clock management?.
    I can see how it would be frowned upon to run the clock down in a tight game but surely you don't have to risk a turnover/fumble and get brought to OT and the AI plays it that way.

Secondly on the 4th down situation.
    I had a 4th down within that last play, was 1-2 away so decided to dive with the HB as a 1st down would effectively kill off the challenge. Had I turned it over, it was around midfield and I'd have time to kill the clock and get a last drive if bad came to worse and I gave up a TD.

Ye it's pretty long!

Agree on this. You're talking near over 30mins per game.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Guys what are the rules for playing user players?

In terms of running the clock down and 4th downs.

Well done on your win! :)

Running the clock down is fine, everyone does it, so don't feel under pressure to throw if you have a lead late in the game. It might seem like it's milking it a bit but that's because the accelerated clock is broken at the minute (resulting in the game clock going in real time as opposed to skipping 20 seconds after each play as long as the ball doesn't go dead) and needs to be fixed with an EA patch which will hopefully be out in the next week or two.

As for your 4th down question, the league rules state that:
    No going for it on 4th down unless the situation calls for it, some specific examples are;

1) Go for it anytime inside the 10
    2) Go for it anytime in Q4 when behind OR inside opposition 40
    3) Go for it anytime when 4th and 1 inside opposition 40
    4) Go for it only 1 more time in a given game outside of the rules above

Presuming the ball was at midfield, your play would fall into example 4 so technically it was fine to go for it. I think it all depends on the play style of the coach in that position and whether it was actually 4th and 1 or 4th and 2. I'd be conservative near the end of a game and try to pin my opponent back a bit, and if it was 4th and 2 as opposed to 4th and 1 at midfield (a big difference in terms of what decision it would cause real NFL teams to make) I can see why some players wouldn't be too happy about you going for it as in the real life I think 99 out of 100 coaches with a 7 point lead would punt in that position.

Paully D wrote: »
    Well done on your win! :)

Running the clock down is fine, everyone does it, so don't feel under pressure to throw if you have a lead late in the game. It might seem like it's milking it a bit but that's because the accelerated clock is broken at the minute (resulting in the game clock going in real time as opposed to skipping 20 seconds after each play as long as the ball doesn't go dead) and needs to be fixed with an EA patch which will hopefully be out in the next week or two.

As for your 4th down question, the league rules state that:

Presuming the ball was at midfield, your play would fall into example 4 so technically it was fine to go for it. I think it all depends on the play style of the coach in that position and whether it was actually 4th and 1 or 4th and 2. I'd be conservative near the end of a game and try to pin my opponent back a bit, and if it was 4th and 2 as opposed to 4th and 1 at midfield (a big difference in terms of what decision it would cause real NFL teams to make) I can see why some players wouldn't be too happy about you going for it as in the real life I think 99 out of 100 coaches with a 7 point lead would punt in that position.

Fair enough.

I wasn't sure what way ye played it as he stopped using the timeouts after the first one so I thought maybe ye didn't run the clock.

Ya tbh I can't really remember if it was 4th and 1/2, it may even have been inches as I remember one late passing play came up just short.

I just felt at the time it was worth the tactical risk, he still had decent ground to make up but if I got to 1st at a minimum he was leaving himself with 0 timeouts and about 30secs with a quick stoppage.
    I think I was in his half as well as I was near FG range for most of this drive after a long gain on one pass so may well not have relied on rule 4.

If I turned it over, I still had 3 timeouts and time to drive for a FG had he scored a TD.

Oh ya, are the games usually laggy?(my other onlines lagged but I assumed they were all Americans so its understandable)

I dropped a FG short due to the lag which was made worse by my 7 point lead being cut to 0 a play or two after (on the stroke of HT as well).
    If it usually lags, it really makes long FGs too difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭guns4all

Brandon banks wr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

was this week advanced yet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yep just done it there, sorry went out cycling and then crashed :eek: so slightly delayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Yep just done it there, sorry went out cycling and then crashed :eek: so slightly delayed!
    :eek:
    Again !

And you wrote it off I read. Unlucky.

Shaun Cody DT

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Berty44 wrote: »
    :eek:
    Again !

And you wrote it off I read. Unlucky.

yep the handle bars are a mess, as is my right hand side.

my wife is insisting i stop cycling now!

CB Marcus Trufant

• Advertisement

my wife is insisting i stop cycling now!

She may have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sorry to hear that mate but at least it wasn't worse. You can always replace a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

FB Owen Marecic

Sorry to hear that Keith but I think Mrs Heli could be right !

LOLB Sergio Kindle

Bert.. you can never let a woman think shes right, that becomes her default position for life!

Ill take a break til after my holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Mike Thomas WR

Bert.. you can never let a woman think shes right, that becomes her default position for life!

Ill take a break til after my holidays

:) that's the secret of marriage...let her think she is right even when she is wrong.

I thought I was wrong once but I made a mistake !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

How many players should we have by tonight? To avoid the cpu cutting people. Have 59 at the moment.

Advertisement