Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a landlord change his mind after I put down a deposit to hold the house?

• 21-09-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm not sure if this is the right section or not, but here goes.

I paid a landlord two thirds of the required deposit on a house so that he would hold it for us until the current tenants moved out, with the agreement that I would pay the rest of the deposit before I moved in. I got a receipt for it, but because it wasn't the full deposit, there was no lease involved yet.

Now he's telling me that the current tenants have changed their minds about moving out and the landlord wants to give me back the amount of the deposit I paid. If I've already put down most of the deposit down and I've got a receipt to prove it, is he allowed change his mind and not let me move in, or is he allowed do that if there was no lease signed?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

Cayke wrote: »

I paid a landlord two thirds of the required deposit on a house so that he would hold it for us until the current tenants moved out, with the agreement that I would pay the rest of the deposit before I moved in. I got a receipt for it, but because it wasn't the full deposit, there was no lease involved yet.

Now he's telling me that the current tenants have changed their minds about moving out and the landlord wants to give me back the amount of the deposit I paid. If I've already put down most of the deposit down and I've got a receipt to prove it, is he allowed change his mind and not let me move in, or is he allowed do that if there was no lease signed?

Yes. There is no binding contract. This was so held in a High Court case in the 1980s.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85267376

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Even if there was a contract (other poster answered that question) one of the terms was you move in after other tennant moved out, other tennant has not moved out, so any contract would be frustrated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

No lease, no obligation

Advertisement