Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Phoenix Column 17/09/13

Options
  • 21-09-2013 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

required reading for everyone with any sort of interest in why Waterford City Centre is struggling etc....he nails it in my opinion...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

In which paper is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

news and star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its the same column every week to be fair.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thought it was very good, very well written and bang on the button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Post it up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

O Riain wrote: »
    Post it up?

We cant, copyright reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Very passionate man alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Can you summarise the points so ?

decies wrote: »
    Can you summarise the points so ?

We cant. Copyright reasons.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Sully wrote: »

I don't understand.

If you summarise the article and put a link back to the same article, surely that wouldn't be a copyright infringement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I don't understand.

If you summarise the article and put a link back to the same article, surely that wouldn't be a copyright infringement?

Its really quite easy, if all articles were made freely available on the internet as soon as they were written, why would anyone buy a paper? How does that journalist get paid for his articles? - from sales of papers! Its a commercial arrangement, not a social service.

Back to the column, it is well written a very good synopsis of eveythi g that is right and wrong in Waterford.
    I know he lurks on here quite a bit and is obviously peed off with the constant negativety from some quarters and I hope these same posters read this column to see themselves in the big picture so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

looksee wrote: »
    Its really quite easy, if all articles were made freely available on the internet as soon as they were written, why would anyone buy a paper? How does that journalist get paid for his articles? - from sales of papers! Its a commercial arrangement, not a social service.

But I see/read newspaper articles (via links) all over the internet. I know it would be wrong to post the entire article but I thought a paragraph or two and a link back to the article would be no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Sully wrote: »

Just out of curiosity is there any copyright issues involved when the news and star quotes this forum every week? i had a post i made here printed in the paper the following week and i wasnt happy about it to be honest, if i had of been asked could they print it i would've said no.

Just out of curiosity is there any copyright issues involved when the news and star quotes this forum every week? i had a post i made here printed in the paper the following week and i wasnt happy about it to be honest, if i had of been asked could they print it i would've said no.

I assume so but I don't think the N&S will expect a letter from your solicitor :)

I was joking re: summary. We can quote a paragraph and link to an article, but the article isn't online so that rules it out. A rough summary of the article is fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Once you put it on a public forum, it's public knowledge. More and more reasons why you should be careful about what you say on social networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

required reading for everyone with any sort of interest in why Waterford City Centre is struggling etc....he nails it in my opinion...

I’d completely agree with what he said about parking in the city. I’d actually love if the Newgate Centre opened full of big name shops and free parking just to see what people would find to complain about next…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

We are still none the wiser am sure it was good anyways lol

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Buy the paper and end the - publish link - can't; summarise - can't; why? - because.... €2 boy and you're away.

Who is Phoenix anyway?

Anonymous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I know he lurks on here quite a bit and is obviously peed off with the constant negativety from some quarters
    One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter etc. Something viewed as "negativity" by one is seen as constructive criticism and concern by others.

What makes the Phoenix right??

7upfree wrote: »

What makes the Phoenix right??

Or 7up free?

Read the article and come back and give your opinion then,
    just for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

What the....

I've just read all the posts in this excuse for a thread, and the only problems in Waterford city I'm aware of are copyright issues and a shower of Jessie's on boards who criticise each other about criticising each other about being critical of each other and the city.

Is that a fair summary of the thread so far?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Or 7up free?

Read the article and come back and give your opinion then,
    just for me?

I think it's fair to say that you, I, the Phoenix and maybe even Sully(!) all have the best interests of the city at heart. There are diverse opinions as to how we should proceed or how work should be carried out.

Are all of us right? No. But the Council needs to listen, and be proactive when jobs are under way. People are infuriated at the slow pace of the work. It's absolutely ludicrous - and a repetition has to be avoided at all costs.

FWIW I would be a fan of the Phoenix. Not always right - but always passionate about the City.

Advertisement