Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread - Clare v Cork All Ireland Hurling Final Replay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

Corkman here,well done to Clare,they are a fantastic bunch of young hurlers who play the game the way it should be played.
    Worthy All-Ireland Champions.

Delighted for Clare and for Davy. That was some hurling season - best in years! ( and that's coming from a Kilkenny woman:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Many congrats to Clare from a Dub. Some team you have, worthy champions.

Unreal game.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

George Hook the new pundit alongside Cyril & Company for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

From New Quay to Shannon to Tulla to Liscannor up the Banner

This Clare have that new technical style that is a bit more professional than the average team.

Although Cork made the game the game that it was in the second half they dropped their haymaker slash hook style for a more clean technical approach. ....

Two great teams, I can remember being in College in Cork during the 90s the Lohan brothers frequented the night spots many a night in Gorbys I bumped into Frank and Brian. ...

Looks like there's a new Clare hero in Corks midst......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I didn't read thread so maybe it has been mentioned before after the last game but something needs to be done about the 20mtr free. Lifting the ball at 20 mtr and striking at 13 mtrs should be a foul. Maybe place the ball wherever you like but it must be hit outside the 20mtr line. An iffy free should not be a game changing opportunity as these two games have shown.
    Good skill by Nash OK but unsportsmanlike in my book. Otherwise great games and well done to both teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I didn't read thread so maybe it has been mentioned before after the last game but something needs to be done about the 20mtr free. Lifting the ball at 20 mtr and striking at 13 mtrs should be a foul. Maybe place the ball wherever you like but it must be hit outside the 20mtr line. An iffy free should not be a game changing opportunity as these two games have shown.
    Good skill by Nash OK but unsportsmanlike in my book. Otherwise great games and well done to both teams.

I reckon they'll do something about it alright. A conversation for another day maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

This clare team should go on to dominate over the next decade.

They remind me of tipperary a few years ago winning the all Ireland with so many young players but remember davey Fitz won't walk out on clare like Liam sheedy did to tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Can't see him or Cork giving a jot about that. Not his fault he wasn't punished

If you can get away with it why not. By all means blame the ref but not Nash

Great skill though as you say, not easy to do at all, as proven by his final effort

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

I don't think its unsporting as such, theres nothing to stop everyone else doing it. but I agree it does look bit crazy alright and maybe they should look at it. Brave men to line up and face that, I wouldn't do it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Epic performance, congrats Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

**** me that was hard work watching that and I'm from Meath. Great stuff. Well done Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Gerry91 wrote: »
    It could but don't forget Tipp in 2010.

Very similar, won the u21 pulling up and won senior with a young team

Haven't won it since and that's two years in a row now they've been disappointing in Championship- granted they won Munster last year but got outclassed and hammered in THAT game v KK in the semi

Clare could well be different but you just don't know.

At this (granted ridiculously early) stage I find it impossible to pick a winner for next year, could be 4 or 5 very genuine contenders

Great times for hurling as you say!

Maybe, but for some reason I don't see that happening. Tipp's manager walked away after the win. The key is in Davy Fitz, and I don't see him leaving them. Say what you want about his temperament, but he's turned into a brilliant manager. Fantastic tactics-wise, and even just the passion he injects is invaluable.

Also, when I say a new era, I meant more like an era of just brilliant, exciting hurling. This Clare team are phenomenal, but I think Dublin have an All-Ireland in them too if they can keep it together, and that Cork team definitely do, I'd say. Who knows what Kilkenny will pull out of the bag in the coming years too? It has the potential to be a fantastic decade or so of hurling ahead of us.

For what it's worth, I think this Clare team might be my favourite All-Ireland winners that I've seen in my lifetime. Just thrilling to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Delighted to see clare win, especially when you see the cork bowsy nash cheating for his goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Rightwing wrote: »
    Chuckle chuckle.

Anyone else think the ref was massively favouring Cork today?

I definitely think in the first half he gave some very soft frees to Cork to keep them alive and I would have said he was worth about 3 points to Cork.

The thing is he is likely to avoid any serious criticism because Clare won. If Cork had won or it was a replay he would be in for a boatload of criticism. However Clare getting the win is likely to save him an amount of criticism.

To me he was guilty of the number one failing in GAA reffing - trying to make sure it was a competitive match - any team that gets a decent/sizeable lead knows that the odds of them getting any sort of 50/50 decision are about 90/10 against them.

I really can't think of any other sport where the state of the scoreboard tends to have such an impact on the odds of a foul being called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I definitely think in the first half he gave some very soft frees to Cork to keep them alive and I would have said he was worth about 3 points to Cork.

The thing is he is likely to avoid any serious criticism because Clare won. If Cork had won or it was a replay he would be in for a boatload of criticism. However Clare getting the win is likely to save him an amount of criticism.

To me he was guilty of the number one failing in GAA reffing - trying to make sure it was a competitive match - any team that gets a decent/sizeable lead knows that the odds of them getting any sort of 50/50 decision are about 90/10 against them.

I really can't think of any other sport where the state of the scoreboard tends to have such an impact on the odds of a foul being called.
    A lot of sports are like this. Its more noticable here since theres very few others where a free inside your own half can be a direct scoring opportunity

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The ref was a bit one sided at times but not as bad as Gavin was in the first final IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Fantastic game, wish I was in the pub watching it. Well done Clare can't wait to see you in action next year aswell!

This clare team should go on to dominate over the next decade.

They remind me of tipperary a few years ago winning the all Ireland with so many young players but remember davey Fitz won't walk out on clare like Liam sheedy did to tipp.

I think Liam Sheedy was a bank manager at the time the country and many of his customers were facing a crisis. I'm sure he had more important things on his mind.

• Advertisement

Delighted to see clare win, especially when you see the cork bowsy nash cheating for his goal

Bit harsh? how did he cheat? bit unfair to call him a boswy, anyone who remembers his interview after the first game would surely agree. not having a pop btw, just would like to hear your view.

Anthony Nash didn't cheat. There's nothing in the rules saying he couldn't do what he did. It looked a bit crazy alright, and I think it's a rule that needs to be looked at, but he was well within his rights to do it at the time. If there's nothing stopping him, why wouldn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Anthony Nash didn't cheat. There's nothing in the rules saying he couldn't do what he did. It looked a bit crazy alright, and I think it's a rule that needs to be looked at, but he was well within his rights to do it at the time. If there's nothing stopping him, why wouldn't he?

he's just evolving the game a bit and he has the skill and nerve to do it, most of us would look like right eejits if we tried it (and he does it in front of 82,000 people), but the Fosbury Flop looked crazy when it was first demonstrated too, I believe :)

There may be something in it alright. Remember the great DJ Carey being penalized for the slow lift. My understanding of the rule is that there must be a definite lifting action followed by a strike. What Nash does is more like a 7 meter forward pass to himself followed by a strike. Needs to be looked into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Cork scored 3-16 again today. Weird.

Should be looked into, for sure, but as it stands (and it doesn't really make a difference), Anthony Nash didn't really cheat. You could argue that it was maybe unsportsmanlike, but if there's no set rule saying that what he did is illegal, why wouldn't he go for it? If he has the skill to pull it off, he may as well. It's up to officials to do something about it.

• Advertisement

There may be something in it alright. Remember the great DJ Carey being penalized for the slow lift. My understanding of the rule is that there must be a definite lifting action followed by a strike. What Nash does is more like a 7 meter forward pass to himself followed by a strike. Needs to be looked into.

there's other examples of that though, players making yards, think shefflin pen against tipp a few years ago. but I agree maybe they could look at it. they way he does it probably makes it far more obvious. but as the rules stand now, theres nothing wrong with it. its a good debate though.
    wonder what speed that sliotar was travelling at:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

well done to clare and cork on a great match.it was excellent.as a cork person im dissapointed but fair play to clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

really enjoyable game, well done clare , and well done the dubs , forgot to say well done to the dubs last week :p. aaaargh glad i put the dubs in there , its where i was born and im a tipp man to the core, anyway that clare team should go on to win at least another 3 AI imo . well done davy fitz. , as a kid i remember their 95 AI win and having their team photo on my bedroom wall in tipp, what a team they were and how skillful their predecessors are, what a difference, ger loughnanes wish has come true, he always wanted to be there in croker when clare won the AI , well done again clare and the dubs, but 2014 tipp maybe, hopefully :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Who will get man of match ? O donnell presumably , mc grath huge game too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Saturday Game tonight at 9.30 will reveal that but can't see anyone other than O'Donnell getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The issue here is presumably the lift isn't defined, and if it isn't then good luck to him.

to be honest, I say fair dues to him. What he does (I) is just an extension of what several free takers e.g. Henry, Paul Flynn have been doing for years and (II) appears to be incredibly skilful (try doing it).

Further more, with 12 Clare backs standing in the goal he still managed to bang it in to the back of the net.

He struck fearinto the Clare defense more than any other player and that is some going for a goal keeper.

(My memory of the Dj incident was that he was letting the ball rest on his hurl during the lift, which presumably makes it an illegal lift).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

Slighty pissed hiccup ... apologies there is a god! HON THE BANNER :D::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D hiccup:D:D:D:D:D

Tombo2001 wrote: »

(My memory of the Dj incident was that he was letting the ball rest on his hurl during the lift, which presumably makes it an illegal lift).
    think you might be mixing it up with a point he scored from play out near the sideline in a final ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

Mcgrath was my Man of the match. O Donnell faded badly in between his third goal and the point to put them 1 ahead.Mcgrath showed some fair industry all throughout and considering how far out he was when the ball broke his goal was sensational.

3-3 on the other hand....O donnell will surely be the rte choice.

shockframe wrote: »

3-3 on the other hand....O donnell will surely be the rte choice.

if you score 3 - 3 in an All - Ireland Final.....................you're gonna be everyones MOTM! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I have never expierenced anything like the two games we have had. The ups and downs. I thought I was having a small heart attack in the 2nd half. I'm drained after it. Well played to cork it must be said. They were just never beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Hitchens wrote: »
    he's just evolving the game a bit and he has the skill and nerve to do it,

There is no evolving of the game,Christy Ring was doing the exact same thing 60 years ago ,its a very difficult skill to throw the ball in so far and hit it in one movement.

Look at 13 minutes on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Woohoo up Clare! Go on the banners! :) Fantastic match brilliant goals more exciting than last weekend!

niallo27 wrote: »
    I have never expierenced anything like the two games we have had. The ups and downs. I thought I was having a small heart attack in the 2nd half. I'm drained after it. Well played to cork it must be said. They were just never beaten.

only a small one??? you're a much tougher man than me!! will be hard to forget the last 10 mins of that match, even though I really want to:(

I've taken the trouble to read the rules on this and it is unarguably a foul.

2.2 (ii) A free puck, awarded for a foul by a
    defending player inside his own 20m line
    but outside the large rectangle, shall be
    taken from the 20m line opposite where the
    foul occurred

2.5 For all free pucks, including penalties, the ball
    may be struck with the hurley in either of two
    ways:
    (a) Lift the ball with the hurley at the first
    attempt and strike it with the hurley.

(b) Strike the ball on the ground.

I think the rules are clear on this.
    So the taking of a free is two actions which must be taken from the 20m line.

Back later, the highlights have just started.

• Advertisement

I've taken the trouble to read the rules on this and it is unarguably a foul.

2.2 (ii) A free puck, awarded for a foul by a
    defending player inside his own 20m line
    but outside the large rectangle, shall be
    taken from the 20m line opposite where the
    foul occurred

2.5 For all free pucks, including penalties, the ball
    may be struck with the hurley in either of two
    ways:
    (a) Lift the ball with the hurley at the first
    attempt and strike it with the hurley.[/
    B]
    (b) Strike the ball on the ground.

I think the rules are clear on this.
    So the taking of a free is two actions which must be taken from the 20m line.

Back later, the highlights have just started.

How does this show its a foul?? to me it proves the exact opposite? he lifted it with the first attempt and struck it?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's just ambiguous.

I think there's a gap in the rule, so Nash is able to exploit the letter of the law to possibly break the spirit of the law?

It's obviously not cheating - but the rule as it is now is just moronic. If referees properly enforced the current thinking on the rule then they should ping defenders who don't run backwards after Nash lifts the ball significantly forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

As a Clare man that is over the moon with today's result, I don't get the issue with people giving out about Nash. Pretty much the entire Clare team on the line and he still stuck it in the net. He has a unique style of taking penalties/frees, but he's never been pulled up on it now has he? The man will be an All-Star and rightly so, a player all young keepers should look up to.

Nash is the only reason Cork got to a replay, give the man a break.

awec wrote: »
    It's just ambiguous.

I think there's a gap in the rule, so Nash is able to exploit the letter of the law to possibly break the spirit of the law?

It's obviously not cheating - but the rule as it is now is just moronic.

Agreed. maybe they should do something about it, its a grey area in terms of gaining yards so perhaps it needs looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It's a phenomenal piece of skill to lift the ball at 20m and strike at 13m. I don't see how the GAA can legislate for it. Leave it be I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yeah, beating 13 men on the line is really cheating. Wise up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭west cork lad

Just to give my congrats to Clare on a fantastic championship and a great win. The best team today won. Hurling was the biggest winner. Enjoy the sore heads for the next few days. ;-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

As a nuetral just want to say well done to both teams on producing two epic games,look forward to seeing likes of Harnedy and T Kelly grace Croke Pk for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

As a Clare man that is over the moon with today's result, I don't get the issue with people giving out about Nash. Pretty much the entire Clare team on the line and he still stuck it in the net. He has a unique style of taking penalties/frees, but he's never been pulled up on it now has he? The man will be an All-Star and rightly so, a player all young keepers should look up to.

Nash is the only reason Cork got to a replay, give the man a break.

There's a definite grey area.
    Is the free considered "taken" when he begins to rise the ball, or when he actually strikes the ball? It has to be "taken" from the 21.

It's not much of an issue now. But what happens when everybody starts replicating it and the skill is taken to such a level where almost every free conceded around that area is a guaranteed goal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Yeah, beating 13 men on the line is really cheating. Wise up.

Just on this - had Nash missed and hit one of the lads, they may not have been able to continue.

Advertisement