Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread - Clare v Cork All Ireland Hurling Final Replay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

There's a definite grey area.
    Is the free considered "taken" when he begins to rise the ball, or when he actually strikes the ball? It has to be "taken" from the 21.

It's not much of an issue now. But what happens when everybody starts replicating it and the skill is taken to such a level where almost every free conceded around that area is a guaranteed goal?

It'll never reach that. Look at Nash's second 20 metre free today. He could have taken a simple point but gambled on the lift and strike and lost.

It's a skill to be honed and shouldn't be outlawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Just on this - had Nash missed and hit one of the lads, they may not have been able to continue.

or have kids! I was thinking the same, could do some damage to be struck by a sliotar at that speed. but not much can be done about that issue I think. just seen JBM interview, class act!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Congrats to a superb clare team,no matter what we done,clare had an answer.

Very rarely u c a team outside KK, the last fw years,have such resolve,steel,balls,and the heart and will to win,polished of by pure hurling skills , and superb players.

I said in may clare were a team for the future,didnt think it be so soon.

Fully deserved,i said ye be sum team to beat us twice,couldnt c ye doing that.

But today proved how such a special team,with a very astute and brave manager ,and with such a young strong and large panel,ye could be the new Kilkenny.

Its hard to c any complacency with a team next under Davy.

Theres nt much you can do when your simply outclassed.In 140 minutes of hurling we were beaten by the better team.

Congratualtions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's a phenomenal piece of skill to lift the ball at 20m and strike at 13m. I don't see how the GAA can legislate for it. Leave it be I say.

On this.....
    In football if a player is taking a free.say from the 13 meter line he must kick it at or behind the line. He cannot afaik throw it up in the air and run onto it and volley it from ay 8 or 10 meters out, or can he???

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea there's no chance I'd stand on the line for one of those. Would take a braver man than I.

Take one of those on the leg / stomach / chest / undercarriage and you'd certainly remember it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

podmu80 wrote: »
    or have kids! I was thinking the same, could do some damage to be struck by a sliotar at that speed. but not much can be done about that issue I think. just seen JBM interview, class act!

Well if you stop him lifting the striking 4/5 yards closer to where the free was, then it wouldn't be as bad.
    It'll never reach that. Look at Nash's second 20 metre free today. He could have taken a simple point but gambled on the lift and strike and lost.

It's a skill to be honed and shouldn't be outlawed.

so what happens if a young lad practise to the point, where he can flick the ball up 10 yards ahead and hit it - should he be allowed?

awec wrote: »
    Yea there's no chance I'd stand on the line for one of those. Would take a braver man than I.

Take one of those on the leg / stomach / chest / undercarriage and you'd certainly remember it! :pac:

you'd want balls of steel, literally!! i'd be shaking like a sh****** dog!

Well if you stop him lifting the striking 4/5 yards closer to where the free was, then it wouldn't be as bad.

so what happens if a young lad practise to the point, where he can flick the ball up 10 yards ahead and hit it - should he be allowed?

Yes.

Try doing it.

Then try doing it 6 points behind in front of 80,000 people. It's a distinct skill nd I don't see why Nash should be penalised for utilising his abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Then try doing it 6 points behind in front of 80,000 people. It's a distinct skill nd I don't see why Nash should be penalised for utilising his abilities.

It's a skill, but when player welfare comes into question I don't think that any skill should be exempt from review.

In the meantime it's a skill that lead to the replay, and it should be used as much as it can be. Fantastic seeing so many goals today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

JBM is a legend as well. Very gracious in defeat.

As pointed out on the Saturday Game... Clare scored 1 point in something like 20 minutes... and still scored 5-16 in the game. Unreal.

• Advertisement

Cliste wrote: »
    It's a skill, but when player welfare comes into question I don't think that any skill should be exempt from review.

In the meantime it's a skill that lead to the replay, and it should be used as much as it can be. Fantastic seeing so many goals today :)

How does player welfare come into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's a phenomenal piece of skill to lift the ball at 20m and strike at 13m. I don't see how the GAA can legislate for it. Leave it be I say.

They could "legislate" for it. In fact there was a proposal to the Wexford convention last year that no free could be struck from a position closer than 20 metres to the goals. That would be the solution. The man who proposed it had the danger to players safety in mind.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/free-conundrum-throws-up-possibility-of-rule-alteration-29580327.html

He also expressed health and safety concerns. "I think what will happen is you will maybe have a young chap in goal and a big fella will hit a ball some day and drive the wire through the helmet and the GAA won't have a leg to stand on. Counsel will say it was a 21-yard free and he struck it from 14. Somebody can be killed from a ball struck from that distance.

shane o donnell motm. deserved, cool "I don't give a f***, but secretly do" hairstyle too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭west cork lad

O donnell had to get man of the match. Hard to believe he is only 19

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Shane O Donnell shows how well Davy Fitz understands his players - didn't tell Shane that he was starting until a few hours before throw in, which he admitted that it basically didn't give him any chance to be nervous since he suffers hugely with nerves!

Shane O Donnell shows how well Davy Fitz understands his players - didn't tell Shane that he was starting until a few hours before throw in, which he admitted that it basically didn't give him any chance to be nervous since he suffers hugely with nerves!

He showed us how nervous he was in the first 20 min. ;-)

How does player welfare come into it?

Wait until someone gets injured from a full force sliotar to the body.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

O donnell had to get man of the match. Hard to believe he is only 19
    probably so ..but mcgraths contribution was immense..from the first minute when he blocked down a ball to laying em on a plate for o donnell his instinct for poaching is a joy to watch.. real eddie brennan job..ennis will be the place to be .not a fan of davy in general but hats off to him tonight.. clare fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

shockframe wrote: »
    Mcgrath was my Man of the match. O Donnell faded badly in between his third goal and the point to put them 1 ahead.Mcgrath showed some fair industry all throughout and considering how far out he was when the ball broke his goal was sensational.

3-3 on the other hand....O donnell will surely be the rte choice.

I didn't see it myself, but those at the game said he sprained his ankle in between. Cos I couldn't figure out why they would take him off fit any other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Cliste wrote: »
    Wait until someone gets injured from a full force sliotar to the body.
    Happens from penaltys too,-- Joe Quaid lost a nut from one.
    Should there be no penalties or 21's? People get injured all the time in all sports it's part and parcel of sport- even non contact sport

• Advertisement

rambojon wrote: »
    probably so ..but mcgraths contribution was immense..from the first minute when he blocked down a ball to laying em on a plate for o donnell his instinct for poaching is a joy to watch.. real eddie brennan job..ennis will be the place to be .not a fan of davy in general but hats off to him tonight.. clare fan.

You're not the only one. I spoke to plenty of Clare fans after the game in Croker who's only annoyance was Davy being at the helm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

If a young lad practises that to a point where he can do that, he deserves to play county. Correct or not? Keepers aren't just for taking puck outs and saving shots nowadays.

Let the GAA legislate for this if they want to, but Nash shouldn't be the focus of ill feeling over using a sublime piece of skill allowed within the current rules.

rambojon wrote: »

I thought McInerney was outstanding. When Clare were backs to the wall he stepped up. Cork fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I thought McInerney was outstanding. When Clare were backs to the wall he stepped up. Cork fan.

He's a fantastic back to have. Cleared the ball brilliantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

People get injured all the time in all sports it's part and parcel of sport- even non contact sport

snooker and darts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

ONe hour RTE, one hour of the sunday saturday game. One hour for the showcase all ireland hurling final. Shame on you rte, Im ripping here about this. A game that is one of the best Ive seen and all we get is one hour....

If this doesn't show the bias and loyalty of where RTE executives are concerning gaa I dont know what will.

Anyways thank you Clare and Cork for producing a great final, and congrats Clare for a great hard fought win.

The man has no class.

Shouldn't have taken the bait here, but this is a joke. What Clare supporters were you speaking to exactly? The man developed a style of play that needed time to gel and it came right when it mattered most. Davy has been a fantastic manager, the players are flourishing under his methods, and he has been more than willing to talk to anyone on the street regarding how things are going, and I know that from experience.

To say the man has no class is an absolute insult to a now current All Ireland winning manager. Does Cody have class by your definition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭roshje

They could "legislate" for it. In fact there was a proposal to the Wexford convention last year that no free could be struck from a position closer than 20 metres to the goals. That would be the solution. The man who proposed it had the danger to players safety in mind.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/free-conundrum-throws-up-possibility-of-rule-alteration-29580327.html

He also expressed health and safety concerns. "I think what will happen is you will maybe have a young chap in goal and a big fella will hit a ball some day and drive the wire through the helmet and the GAA won't have a leg to stand on. Counsel will say it was a 21-yard free and he struck it from 14. Somebody can be killed from a ball struck from that distance.

Health and Safety Authority will be looking into it now

kupus wrote: »
    ONe hour RTE, one hour of the sunday saturday game. One hour for the showcase all ireland hurling final. Shame on you rte, Im ripping here about this. A game that is one of the best Ive seen and all we get is one hour....

If this doesn't show the bias and loyalty of where RTE executives are concerning gaa I dont know what will.

Anyways thank you Clare and Cork for producing a great final, and congrats Clare for a great hard fought win.

Up for the match last week was longer than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

relaxed wrote: »
    snooker and darts?
    Running,cycling,golf etc..

Happens from penaltys too,-- Joe Quaid lost a nut from one.
    Should there be no penalties or 21's? People get injured all the time in all sports it's part and parcel of sport- even non contact sport

20 metres is almost 22 yards. Struck from that distance there is a danger of injury but struck from around 14 yards it is much more dangerous in my opinion. Especially with the momentum which Nash develops. I dread to think of the consequences if that ball had hit someone today. Davy Fitzgerald expressed concern about it after the first game.

http://www.thescore.ie/clare-davy-fitzgerald-cork-1091861-Sep2013/

snooker and darts?

repetitive motion injury.
    can happen when you've been single for a long long time as well....
    back problems are common enough in snooker too I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

podmu80 wrote: »
    How does this show its a foul?? to me it proves the exact opposite? he lifted it with the first attempt and struck it?

20m is not equal to 13 m. And no need for Hawkeye. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

kupus wrote: »

There as no minor game though, the senior final probably always gets about the hour anyway.

20m is not equal to 13 m. And no need for Hawkeye. ;)

fair enough. but its a grey area at best. the free was taking at the correct place, nothing states where the strike MUST take place though. its up for debate I guess. but its some skill to have on nashes part, not easy to do.

• Advertisement

There as no minor game though, the senior final probably always gets about the hour anyway.

Would the minors get that much time. No. A game like that deserved more coverage

More Nash bashing regarding the free. Hurling is a dangerous sport to play, and those of us that have played it thrive on the physicality and the skill involved to survive 70+ minutes.

To those of you giving out about a bullet strike from the 20 metre line: What would you propose? The back line to be fitted with NFL-like pads? Name one other keeper than can hit the ball like Nash does right now? Petty argument if you ask me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Great win by Clare. Superb hurling. Hardly to believe that Cork led only once in the 2 games and yet nearly robbed it.

I can see this Clare team winning a few AIs over the next 5 years.

I wonder what KK and Tipp think about it all.

More Nash bashing regarding the free. Hurling is a dangerous sport to play, and those of us that have played it thrive on the physicality and the skill involved to survive 70+ minutes.

To those of you giving out about a bullet strike from the 20 metre line: What would you propose? The back line to be fitted with NFL-like pads? Name one other keeper than can hit the ball like Nash does right now? Petty argument if you ask me..

Wear a cup to protect the jewels.

Surely the whole argument is about the ball being struck from far closer than 20 metres?

• Advertisement

Would the minors get that much time. No. A game like that deserved more coverage

Maybe RTE 2 have a different audience profile on Saturday nights compared to Sunday. They had already given up a large chunk of normal Saturday programming time earlier in the day. There are many viewers with no interest in GAA or indeed any sport and they might complain about sport overload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I wonder what KK and Tipp think about it all.
    looking on admiringly .........(and enviously) ;)

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

An hour is enough time tbh. Anyone who wants more can watch the plethora of replays that will be on.

If they had gone on for any longer tonight it would have entered the realms of time wasting waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

As a delighted Clare man I just want to say JBM is a true sportsman and legend and can be very proud off his men ...as for Nash , he is unique , he brilliant he puts the fear of god in me no one gave out about the way John Aldridge took penalties for Ireland don't knock him for being a cute cork hoor!!

Wear a cup to protect the jewels.

Ever play the game competitively? No way that would work. Helmets are essential, granted. However no player will ever aim for an opponent's nuts when hitting a free.
    Surely the whole argument is about the ball being struck from far closer than 20 metres?

Counter argument: Should the free taker only be allowed rise the ball without taking any steps inwards? Makes for a tame free considering you can get no momentum behind the strike. Or do you make a 20 metre free a 30 metre free and allow for forward motion?

Right now no rule applies to stop Nash hitting the ball like that.

Again this is coming from a Clare man that as Nash ran up to hit that free, I hid behind my hands knowing he would blast the thing into the net. He gets so much power into the strike that I doubt any backline anywhere would stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

awec wrote: »
    It's just ambiguous.

I think there's a gap in the rule...

Where is the gap that says that one action of a 20m free can be executed at 13m. Throwing the sliotar forward 7m is not a lift. I don't think anyone is blaming Nash. The referees should be able to interpret these very clear simple rules. Also, how is it that the GAA did not make all refs aware of the rules since the first final. I think it will be implemented after this even without the need for specific rule changes. Just bring it to the attention of the refs. The long walk and puck out was fixed too without specific rule changes.

Ever play the game competitively? No way that would work.

Yep have played at a competitive level. Never wore a cup either. Would have given the left one to stop a shot if it meant a all Ireland medal in the right pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

mikeoh wrote: »
    no one gave out about the way John Aldridge took penalties for Ireland!!

How?

Where is the gap that says that one action of a 20m free can be executed at 13m. Throwing the sliotar forward 7m is not a lift. I don't think anyone is blaming Nash. The referees should be able to interpret these very clear simple rules. Also, how is it that the GAA did not make all refs aware of the rules since the first final. I think it will be implemented after this even without the need for specific rule changes. Just bring it to the attention of the refs. The long walk and puck out was fixed too without specific rule changes.

Jaysus a ref would be shot if he interperated it like that off their own initiative... and rightly so, it would be very unfair to suddenly begin pulling it up as not allowed.

Ever play the game competitively? No way that would work.

Yep have played at a competitive level. Never wore a cup either. Would have given the left one to stop a shot if it meant a all Ireland medal in the right pocket.

Not sure if we're debating a point or not :P If people were to raise all the points on a body where serious injury could occur due to playing hurling then you would have 30 bodies on the field looking like the Michelin tyre guy due to "health and safety".

• Advertisement
Advertisement