Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum top up before switching phone network

• 21-09-2013 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I bought a new phone a few months ago. I'm looking to change my phone network now, but I was told that my current phone network will not provide the switch over code unless I have topped up by at least €150. Does this mean €150 on my phone since they registered it in store or €150 top up on my sim/number which was transferred over into the new phone?

Another separate issue; how legal is this minimum top up scenario? I was under the impression that consumer standards and acts were being put in place (such as keeping your number when you switch providers) to enable complete freedom for the customer, but this policy seems to circumvent this. I should point out that I was never at any point made aware of this policy when I was buying the phone.

Any input for a confused luddite would be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The handset is locked to the network you bought it from as they have subsidized the cost of the handset for use solely on their network.

If you want to use the handset on another network you need to get it unlocked, this can usually be done for a fee of about €20 in some of the many phone unlocking shops around Dublin and many provincial towns, or you can get the unlocking code free from your network by spending €150/€130 on top-ups using that handset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The handset is locked to the network you bought it from as they have subsidized the cost of the handset for use solely on their network.

If you want to use the handset on another network you need to get it unlocked, this can usually be done for a fee of about €20 in some of the many phone unlocking shops around Dublin and many provincial towns, or you can get the unlocking code free from your network by spending €150/€130 on top-ups using that handset.

Thanks for that, I'll probably just head down to Carphone Warehouse and get it unlocked there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thanks for that, I'll probably just head down to Carphone Warehouse and get it unlocked there.
    They wont unlock it, the shops that will are not connected to the mobile phone networks at all, try your local "Phone Doctor" type of shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

I would recommend you read up about these types of stores first.

There have been suggestions that some clone phones or copy / steal data etc.

Not sure how much truth there is to this but I wouldn't use one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

But you are still giving out your IMEI which apparently you should never do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

foggy_lad wrote: »

There's a time limit on some of the top-up credits also, it's 6 months on Vodafone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Other than impersonate your phone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

How is there still people who dont know this?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

And 1 person on this thread who doesn't know what they are talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I'm not sure the 'Phone Galaxy' run in a shop at the back of the Ilac or somewhere <SNIP> is going to be much more reputable than doing it online :pac:

Advertisement