Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run in the dark 5-10km 2013 Dublin/ Cork/ Belfast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I've signed up for the 5km in dublin. Did it last year, enjoyed it. first time ever doing anything like that.

after finishing and walking back up the quays I saw a woman maybe late 60s or more keeping on going to the finish. cheered her on and thought that takes guts/determination at that age.

still impressed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

ive signed up to the 10k in cork. from the pictures it looks like a big event and should be pretty good. flat course in cork too which helps a lot!!

it'll be my first ever 10k race so hoping to go sub 1:00 in it. should be good experience hopefully more from here will be doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Also going to be a pop up event in Galway again so keep an eye out on the Facebook & Twitter pages. Gonna be a flash mob of running :)

anyone else signed up for any of these events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

Haven't signed up yet but will more than likely do the Cork one this year, heard it was a great race last year. Kinda expensive for a 10K but I guess its for a good cause

• Advertisement

thoight is was expensive alright but i suppose its kind of novel in a way. cant say theres many run around the streets of cork city on a wednesday evening in november

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Was thinking about doing the Dublin 5k Run in the Dark, did the Rathfarnham 5k one yesterday. Was the first race/fun run i've done, i didn't particularly enjoy it as i think i was terrified of coming last/not being able to finish it so i felt a bit stressed and my breathing was all over the place. Finshed in 35 mins, was proud of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

I'm doing the 10k, not signing up tho for another while tho, after the holidays. Did anyone receive a race pack yet ? Wondering what the tops are like, if there are any. Given that it's lifestyle sports sponsoring it, they might be pretty nice.
    I'd did the samsung night run a few months back and the tops were pretty damn nice quality, longsleve with pocket on the arm.. :)

sandy_c wrote: »
    Was thinking about doing the Dublin 5k Run in the Dark, did the Rathfarnham 5k one yesterday. Was the first race/fun run i've done, i didn't particularly enjoy it as i think i was terrified of coming last/not being able to finish it so i felt a bit stressed and my breathing was all over the place. Finshed in 35 mins, was proud of myself.

Onwards and upwards. Im relatively new to running and the fear of being last still exists but the more you do the better youll get and the more you'll enjoy it.

the run in the dark is going to be my first 10K race so i'm relatively frightened of that myself

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    I'm doing the 10k, not signing up tho for another while tho, after the holidays. Did anyone receive a race pack yet ? Wondering what the tops are like, if there are any. Given that it's lifestyle sports sponsoring it, they might be pretty nice.
    I'd did the samsung night run a few months back and the tops were pretty damn nice quality, longsleve with pocket on the arm.. :)

dont think that there are any tops as they dont ask for sizes when completing registration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

You don't get a free top at the runinthedark.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I signed up to the 5k in Dublin, it's my first time running 5k. It's my first time running at all, actually.

sandy_c wrote: »

Well done, it's great to get the first one done.

If you are stressed out about finishing at the back, you should give one of the Parkrun 5K runs a go some Saturday http://www.parkrun.ie/

There are always lots of beginners and it's not competitive, I think they are great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Do we know what percentage of the entry fee goes to the charity?

Skid X wrote: »
    You don't get a free top at the runinthedark.

That's crap. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

That's crap. :mad:

If it would make you happier, you could always sign up for one of the high-profile-pretend-to-support-a-charity races. There's loads of them out there - they'll give you a free top, maybe a bootcamp warm up and the support of a local radio station. Way down in the small print you'll find that they give about 1% of the money to their "charity-partner".

I don't know the details of the Run in the Dark events, or how much of the funds raised go to charity, but I've never heard anything but praise for these runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

slingerz wrote: »
    ive signed up to the 10k in cork. from the pictures it looks like a big event and should be pretty good. flat course in cork too which helps a lot!!

it'll be my first ever 10k race so hoping to go sub 1:00 in it. should be good experience hopefully more from here will be doing it

Ditto it's the Cork 10k for me, running around the city centre is good fun! My biggest memory last year was the huge line of people with flashing led arm-bands stretching down the South Mall.

opus wrote: »
    Ditto it's the Cork 10k for me, running around the city centre is good fun! My biggest memory last year was the huge line of people with flashing led arm-bands stretching down the South Mall.

big crowd last year? hopefully will be good seems like a good course to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I did the Dublin one last year - and I understand its run my Mark Pollock's own charity trust running the event, and he was at the start line of Dublin race last year...

[Unlike the Mo Run in November, for example, which is zero to do with Movember charity, and is a for profit race which gives a tiny amount to charity]

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

think I'll sign up for this, it's on a Wednesday evening though? bit awkward...

• Advertisement

should be a good buzz for this event though, looking forward to it now. around the city for 10K on a wednesday evening in November sure you couldnt go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

the weather in dublin was perfect last year, not a puff of wind in the air, dry and a moonlight sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Had a look at the 10km dublin course. On some of the same roads as the Samsung Night Run Earlier this year.

I found that very conjested in places what with on narrow roads and a lot of 90 degree turns.

Have seen there are also pop up events for this. Anyone hear of any in the West or North West?

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Had a look at the 10km dublin course. On some of the same roads as the Samsung Night Run Earlier this year.

I found that very conjested in places what with on narrow roads and a lot of 90 degree turns.

Have seen there are also pop up events for this. Anyone hear of any in the West or North West?

Yup, I found it dodgy too, slippy on those cobblestones and to many corners, quite annoying actually, very repetitive. I guess it's easier to shut down those roads..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Looks like the same course more or less as the Docklands run. Two laps,which means a ****ty time on the second lap if you're in the faster half of the field.

Won't be doing this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think the main aim is to raise funds for a worthy cause and enjoy yourself doing so, not to set up a race for people to go PB hunting.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think the main aim is to raise funds for a worthy cause and enjoy yourself doing so, not to set up a race for people to go PB hunting.

Hmm. Not so sure about that at all. The website is quite vague about how the money is used. How much is the entry anyway? Strangely it doesn't seem to say.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Hmm. Not so sure about that at all. The website is quite vague about how the money is used. How much is the entry anyway? Strangely it doesn't seem to say.

From their Facebook Page
    About
    5k and 10k multi-location night run. Wednesday 13th November 7.30pm. Creating a global community to fund the search for a spinal cord injury cure.
    Mission
    To create a global community to fund the search for a spinal cord injury cure.
    Company Overview
    We stage Run in the Dark at 7.30pm local time over 24 hours in mid-November. We have official events in Dublin, Cork, Belfast, London and Manchester with local city champions organising pop up events in cities including Sydney, New York, Washington DC, Frankfurt, Edinburgh and Boston.

Blind adventure athlete Mark Pollock is trying to find a cure for spinal cord injury using robotic exoskeletons combined with medical research. Your Run in the Dark entry fee will go towards fueling this ambition. You can fundraise for a charity close to your heart, or just run for fun!

General information
    To sign up to the Life Style Sports Run In The Dark go to www.runinthedark.org.

Closing date for entries is the 31st October.

Entry fee is €27.

https://www.facebook.com/RunInTheDarkOfficial/info

So how much of the money goes to this alleged spinal cord research charity (which personally I've never heard of?)

Don't get me wrong - if most of the money is going to a good cause, that's great. But it's wrong to assume this is the case as many "charity" runs are really for-profit events. The sign-up process is pretty impressive for the way it tries to extract as much cash out of you as possible.

• Advertisement

murphd77 wrote: »
    So how much of the money goes to this alleged spinal cord research charity (which personally I've never heard of?)

Don't get me wrong - it most of the money is going to a good cause, that's great. But it's wrong to assume this is the case as many "charity" runs are really for-profit events. The sign-up process is pretty impressive for the way it tries to extract as much cash out of you as possible.

You should contact the organisers if you have issues with their event.

Advertisement