Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run in the dark 5-10km 2013 Dublin/ Cork/ Belfast

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone who has had a passing interest in Mark Pollock will be familiar with everything he has done pre and post fall which put him in a wheel chair. It's very disingenuous to call it an "alleged" charity just because you never heard of it, I'm sure there's lot of things I've never heard of, but that's not to say they don't exist.

I would like to see the exact break down of charity/organisational fees but I doubt any goes into some ones pockets as profit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

macinalli wrote: »
    If it would make you happier, you could always sign up for one of the high-profile-pretend-to-support-a-charity races. There's loads of them out there - they'll give you a free top, maybe a bootcamp warm up and the support of a local radio station. Way down in the small print you'll find that they give about 1% of the money to their "charity-partner".

I don't know the details of the Run in the Dark events, or how much of the funds raised go to charity, but I've never heard anything but praise for these runs.

its a good run and the goodie bag was decent last year full of sponsorship stuff, BUT for €27 a t-shirt could be thrown in, they are nice mementos

If you want a t-shirt and want to leave your fee at €27, then the charity will get less money.

I'm not a huge fan of 'charity' races due to the fact that as often shown on this forum and elsewhere that the race is regularly a for profit race with little or nothing going to charity but I think this is one of the genuine ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

slingerz wrote: »
    big crowd last year? hopefully will be good seems like a good course to be fair

Over 1000 people between the 5k & 10k as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The price is fairly simple, the €27 is for charity.

It's a bit vague this year. Last year, I was of the opinion that the money was going direct to Mark's rehab and his quest to walk again. A fine cause given the amount of people he inspires.

This year, it doesn't seem to be quite as clear on the site. Which isn't a criticism or innuendo.

I'd also have no problem with some of the money going to those organising the race. People need to put food on the table.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you want a t-shirt and want to leave your fee at €27, then the charity will get less money.

I'm not a huge fan of 'charity' races due to the fact that as often shown on this forum and elsewhere that the race is regularly a for profit race with little or nothing going to charity but I think this is one of the genuine ones.

i agree, but maybe then it should be priced closer to €20 like most of the profit making 10k's which do offer something at the end. with the exception of the samsung 10k night run which was mad money as far as i remember.

have absolutely no issue in wherever this money goes if its priced right. but i dont know the breakdown and maybe €27 is the very minimum they can charge to make it worthwhile and if so, then so be it that's €fair enough. for me €27 is a lot, charity or not, so i'll sit this one out, its good fun, parking is a bitch though and the clampers were out in force taking full advantage of the runners last year so beware it could become an extremely expensive night if proper care isnt taken, it really was lousy, i saw them literally lurking on corners looking to take full opportunity of the situation, its a feckin charity run.

Unless you park in an operating bus lane, clear way or double yellow lines the majority of on street parking in Dublin City Centre is free after 7pm so worrying about clampers shouldn't be an issue.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Unless you park in an operating bus lane, clear way or double yellow lines the majority of on street parking in Dublin City Centre is free after 7pm so worrying about clampers shouldn't be an issue.

it was none of these. there's a large amount of car park spaces that belong to offices close to the route, people were parking in these as the spaces were empty as office workers had left for the evening

Ah, they were parking in private car spaces, hence I imagine NCPS or someone like them clamping as opposed to the Dublin Street Parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Technical t-shirt is an optional €16.50 extra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

T-shirts were provided in the first year of the event, I have one.
    In year two to maximise the return to the charity T-shirts were an optional extra, if you wanted on you could buy one. There was a flashy light thing for your arm in a pack last year.

I was involved with helping with the event in Galway for the past two years and now with the bigger brand sponsor we are working on a pop up event in Galway. Having had dealings with the Mark Pollock Trust I am confident that all the money raised goes to the work that is being done in research and robotics to help get people with spinal injuries back walking.

This work continues on from the research that Christoper Reeves started after his spinal injury. Have a look at the promotional video of Mark in the robot legs and if you follow his development on Twitter you will learn that the work is in developing new neural pathways to bypass the break in the spine.

Mark is an inspiring guy, he has never given up his battle. So many would have stopped at going blind, he didn't and being paralysed hasn't stopped him either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

He was on today fm talking about the reasons behind the race. Top bloke.

http://player.todayfm.com/player/podcasts/Savage_Sunday/Savage_Sunday/5218/0/mark_pollock

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    He was on today fm talking about the reasons behind the race. Top bloke.

http://player.todayfm.com/player/podcasts/Savage_Sunday/Savage_Sunday/5218/0/mark_pollock

The guy is an inspiration!

People nit-picking about this event and complaining that they don't get a T-shirt included need to get a grip....There's loads of other events where you get a T Shirt, and even sometimes a medal if you're lucky!!....If that's where people's priorities lie, then I despair, I really do!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭brownetara

Anyone know where I can get info on the Galway pop up run??

brownetara wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get info on the Galway pop up run??

Planned for Salthill Prom. You need to register through the Run in the Dark website and identify Galway as your popup.

https://www.facebook.com/Amphkingwest/posts/578296742228494

Few people have been onto me about a pop up in Limerick. Is there any interest in this?

Signed up for this earlier in the week.

There's an article about Mark Pollock in today's Examiner
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/the-three-lives-of-mark-pollock-246516.html

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Daisy03

Signed up to the 5K in Cork. It'll be my first 5K so I'm just hoping to finish it. I've seen Mark on the Late Late show a few times and it's a great cause

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KeenRunner

[Unlike the Mo Run in November, for example, which is zero to do with Movember charity, and is a for profit race which gives a tiny amount to charity]

Is this true? Talk about taking advantage of a good cause!

I've just looked up the website because I was wondering how they could get away with using the Movember branding if it has nothing to do with the charity, but it turns out they don't - they just use their own 'Mo-running' branding. Sneaky! :(

KeenRunner wrote: »
    Is this true? Talk about taking advantage of a good cause!

I've just looked up the website because I was wondering how they could get away with using the Movember branding if it has nothing to do with the charity, but it turns out they don't - they just use their own 'Mo-running' branding. Sneaky! :(
    Our company The Fix Events has created Mo Running (which is independent to Movember) in support of them and their fundraising for Men’s Health. As a company we take on full risk, costs and responsibility for ensuring Mo Running is a success. As part of our commitment to this project we have dedicated a percentage of each entry fee to go directly to Movember.

Waiting for Mo Farah to shut down events like these when he trademarks his name and the Mobot.

0.0001 is a percentage. If it was anything decent they'd state it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's also unclear what percentage of the Run In The Dark proceeds goes towards funding actual research.

From what I can make out from the various websites, the proceeds go to the Mark Pollock Trust, which then donates some of them to the various research organisations (eg. Wings For Life). I think it's reasonable to suspect that a lot of the proceeds go to running the other activities of the trust (rent, wages, Pollock's speaking engagements e.g.). Not saying there's anything wrong with this, just that it's not very transparent.

Call me a nitpicker, I think it's good to be skeptical and to call for more clarity when it comes to charity fundraisers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Signed up for the 10k in London. Not the most exciting looking course (4 laps of Battersea Park)but good cause and I'm due a sub 40 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

Dublin run sold out - meant to book it for my girlfriend but forgot - ill be in the doghouse tonight.

Is it possible to change a name if taking someones place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Dublin run sold out - meant to book it for my girlfriend but forgot - ill be in the doghouse tonight.

Is it possible to change a name if taking someones place?

They don't allow transfers. Just swap places and say nothing..

Just over 4000 running in the Dublin event!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Does anyone know anything about parking for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Is anyone looking to sell their entry? I'd love to run the 10km in Dublin but it's sold out, anyone unable to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

2000 have registered for the Cork run!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KeenRunner

Just got my race pack in the post. My race number is sellotaped to the front of an old Lidl Run Kildare race bib, lol.

Recycling FTW ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

"Mo Running supports Movember and their associated charities worldwide and for every person that registers a percentage of your entry fee will go directly to Movember. This percentage varies according to location and is stated on each local website however the standard percentage is approximately 15% of your entry fee."

As someone who has developed Prostate Cancer, this sort of carry-on *REALLY GETS UP MY NOSE*. This crowd charge €16 and €22 for the 5k and 10k respectively. At 15%, this translates to €2.25 and €3.30. The professional street collectors hand over 20% to their charities.

Volunteers: "If you would like to be part of our team and help support all the MoRunners and their efforts and fundraising for Men’s Health in particular fundraising for Prostate and Testicular Cancer it would be great to hear from you."

VAT:
    "Your entry fee includes and covers;.......vat at 20%"
    This is a UK company organising an event in Ireland. Irish VAT, 23%, is payable to the Irish Revenue...NOT UK Inland Revenue.

If you'd like to run and contribute to Cancer try this one on Sunday next: Taking Action on Cancer Family Fun Walk or Run (12k) "

"All proceeds raised will go to the Irish Cancer Society."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

I live very close to where run is held....be very careful about parking around where run is held. The clampers are like vultures. There is a decent underground car park where bord gais energy theatre is. There is also parking on macken /pearse street but very limited .better to get luas or bus down. Save hassle

Advertisement