Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIV and FeLV test: how do you read it?

• 21-09-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

We ran a FIV-FeLV test on the blood of my cat.
    The result of the test is in the photo below.
    My vet says that the cat in negative to both tests, and I agree with her.
    The doctor who works with my vet says that the cat is slightly positive to FIV because she sees a weakly exposed marker in the bottom window.
    My vet and I say that it's only a different reaction of the test possibly because in the bottom window there was a more massive migration of blood and reagent.
    What do you think? How do you read this test?
    And what does "slightly positive" mean?
    My cat lives indoors most of her time and is allowed outside only with harness and lead. She never had "close encounters" with FIV+ cat. I mean, I know that FIV can be transmitted with more than a hiss or a rubbing.
    Thanks for your replies!

6-668117.jpg

Upper window FeLV test, Lower window FIV test.
    "C" stands for "check", "T" stands for "positive to test"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Have a read under the section "ELISA" here The "check" or control element of your test (C) must be a clear and obvious line before the right handside (your cats sample) can be read.If your control doesn't work then the test is invalid. Both checks or controls are fine in this case.

The "SNAP tests" while used regularly in practice are only around 90% sensitive and "false positives and negatives" do occur, probably as you said due to run over of the sample, poor kit storage etc. But, there is definitely a feint line in your bottom test, so while it is probably negative, you should retest in another few weeks or send off a blood sample for further analysis (Western blot testing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

When I was working in practice we did a few of these, and any time there was a faint result (the one I used had blue dots) we we always repeat the test due to the high likelihood of a false reading. 9 times out of 10 it was a false positive but it did go the other way too, if you can I would get it re done or as anniehoo said, go for further analysis. Kind of off topic but I wonder if a cat has had the FELV vaccine would it show up a faint reading as there would be antibodies in their system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My vet gave our two a vaccine with the FELV vaccine in as it was going out of date and it would be wasted (only charged for the regular vaccine), he told me that they would get a light positive if tested in the future and marked it on their cards, just in case we used another vet.

Can anyone tell me how much the test costs? A friend is thinking of testing her young cat, and asked if I knew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

mymo wrote: »
    My vet gave our two a vaccine with the FELV vaccine in as it was going out of date and it would be wasted (only charged for the regular vaccine), he told me that they would get a light positive if tested in the future and marked it on their cards, just in case we used another vet.

Can anyone tell me how much the test costs? A friend is thinking of testing her young cat, and asked if I knew.

It cost me 45 euro to get it done on Cream but I'm sure prices vary depending on the vets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

anniehoo wrote: »
    The "SNAP tests" while used regularly in practice are only around 90% sensitive and "false positives and negatives" do occur, probably as you said due to run over of the sample, poor kit storage etc. But, there is definitely a feint line in your bottom test, so while it is probably negative, you should retest in another few weeks or send off a blood sample for further analysis (Western blot testing).

As a matter of fact my vet adviced me to retest the cat in a couple of months time.
    Anyway it's a mere matter of staying on the safe side, because as I wrote in my first post, the cat never had a chance in the last 11 years to be in strict contact with any FIV+ cat. She had random and almost indirect contacts with a FIV and FeLV cat, but all contacts were just with surfaces they both touched, like the pavement around the house or the grass of the garden, etc.
    The test we ran two days ago was an extra test after the complete blood test after the treatment with antibiotics for toxoplasmosis was over.

• Advertisement

Kind of off topic but I wonder if a cat has had the FELV vaccine would it show up a faint reading as there would be antibodies in their system?

My cat is FeLV-vaccinated, but the test didn't show anything, as you can see in the attached photo.

mymo wrote: »

I paid 40 euro for that test, but I'm here in Italy.
    Last year I paid 25 euro for an Idexx triple test in a different practice, but I was told I was very lucky ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Cats can inherit FIV from the mother.

boomerang wrote: »
    Cats can inherit FIV from the mother.

Yes, they can.
    But shouldn't it show up earlier in life? I brought this cat home in January 2002, she was stray and was suffering the intense cold of that damn winter.
    She stayed indoors since, apart from being led in the garden.

Advertisement