Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless man sleeping at doorstep

Options
  • 21-09-2013 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭

Theres a homeless guys sleeping at the entrance door to my apartment building, and without wanting to be sound harsh its a bit if a nuisance.

He's intimidating the women residents and he has his mates ' over ' from time to time where they all stand around the door drinking and shouting unintelligibly.

Is there anything that can be done in this situation ? I feel sorry for the guy but its quite antisocial at times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Get the Gardai involved?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

djimi wrote: »
    Get the Gardai involved?

Was going to suggest the same tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Yeah Ive thought of that but I don't think they can do much besides move him on , and then he'll probably be back etc..

Might give them a call anyway, see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a (highly visible) CCTV camera installed (pointing at the doorway), to see if it deters him from staying there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If he comes back then call the Gardai again. Theyll soon get sick of moving him on.

Get onto the management company and ask why there arent working security gates in operation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

the_syco wrote: »
    Get a (highly visible) CCTV camera installed (pointing at the doorway), to see if it deters him from staying there?
    Why would it?

No Pants wrote: »
    Why would it?
    He may like the privacy of the doorway, and the camera would take the privacy around. If a camera appeared and the Gardai got him to move on, he may no longer see it as somewhere to loiter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There is an offence under the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act to cover this situation. I thinks it is something like "trespassing with the curtilage of a building" I would make a complaint to the Gardai but also make a strong complaint to the Management Company. If enough pressure is brought to bear on this individual he will go elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Contact the Homeless Services for your area and ask them to call out at a certain time.
    The guy is down on his luck and needs a helping hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

snubbleste wrote: »
    Contact the Homeless Services for your area and ask them to call out at a certain time.
    You don't know him from Adam. He may well be down on his luck (or might be entirely responsible for his situation) but according to the op, he's been intimidating residents, so the Gardaí Need to be involved.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Why don't you call down and bring him home? Down on your luck isn't an excuse to act the bollix. People in those apartments have worked hard for their homes or are paying good rent. Who needs to see some spunker use their dwelling entrance as a place to entertain their spunker friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Throw an icy cold bucket of water over him . He won't be long moving off

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

L5 wrote: »
    Throw an icy cold bucket of water over him . He won't be long moving off

And you won't either.
    5 day ban for advocating an illegal activity (common assault).

Regards,

The_Conductor

Well, the problem with that is that I'm not a million miles away from a homeless refuge and he's hanging around our place because his mates are residents there. I've already taken a picture of their parties and sent it to the refuge centre management. Haven't heard anything back.

I don't think he means any harm, I left this morning and he bade me a ' good morning sir ' . They're usually fine before the days drinking has started. After a few drinks and when his mates gather around it gets unpleasant.

Incidentally the refuge has increased its capacity by 25 % over the last few years and theres still people on the streets nearby. Sign of the times I guess.

the_syco wrote: »

Not a bad idea, but by the time it gets the approval from everyone on the committee I'm not sure it will be of much use.

Who would monitor it anyway? Where is the footage stored ? For how long ? I can see costs there that folks may not want unless there has been a break in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

If it is close to you, have you called up to the Homeless Shelter and had a chat with the management? They are probably swamped and emails (assuming you emailed the photos) rank low on their priority. If you see the management in person maybe they might be able to offer some suggestion on how to deal with it. They might even know the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ror_74 wrote: »
    Well, the problem with that is that I'm not a million miles away from a homeless refuge and he's hanging around our place because his mates are residents there. I've already taken a picture of their parties and sent it to the refuge centre management. Haven't heard anything back.

It's possible that he's barred from the refuge because he's misbehaved there in the past.

The management won't be able to give you any information about the indivduals concerned (client confidentiality). But they should be able to help you understand where else he could go for assistance.

I'd suggest that the garda need to be involved when the friends are around "visiting" and being intimidating. You need to complain when crimes are happening, not because you think they might.

And that you need to find ways to make the apartment entrance unattractive as a place to stay. CCTV camersa (no one said they have to be recording, certain people just need to think they are), frequent hosing down with strong detergent, possibly things like cat/dog repellent, remove all seating/shelter, Barry Manalow playing over a PA system ... these are all possible legal strategies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Wash the entryway every day with Jeyes Fluid.

ror_74 wrote: »
    Not a bad idea, but by the time it gets the approval from everyone on the committee I'm not sure it will be of much use.
    Hm. Fake camera? http://www.donedeal.ie/petaccessories-for-sale/cctv-fake-dnt-make-it-easy-for-thieves/5621089

Just a quick update on this: I've been washing the steps with Jeyes Fluid the past few weeks and this seems to have worked. I also got a reply from the manager of the local midway center I spoke of, who seemed to be concerned and I got the impression she may have spoken with any relevent parties.

Thanks for the ideas guys, all is well again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement